11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi everyone! My name is Gilbert. I’m new here and a first time Honda/Civic owner. Is there anywhere in this group where people discussed the final cost for their civic?? I heard dealers were marking up the prices on the new Civic, and just want some clarification if I got a decent deal. My final price was around 32k-ish, monthly payments $454 a month. I didn’t have the best credit 661, which gave me a 6.37 interest rate. I also got the car the week they were released so there were no special offers or anything on the new models yet. & clearly I was inpatient haha. I sold my Nissan Altima to the dealer. I put $6,700 down and got 2k cash back. So if anyone can share their experiences at the dealer to compare? I’m aware I didn’t get the best deal, but is it at least moderate?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Hi @Gillytron

I've seen worse, especially after adding tax and anything else that pushes it to around $600 OTD. Did you shop around before signing off on that monthly payment?

By the way, I started a thread on monthly payments, if you can add some of what you mentioned here to it that would be great:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Hi everyone! My name is Gilbert. I’m new here and a first time Honda/Civic owner. Is there anywhere in this group where people discussed the final cost for their civic?? I heard dealers were marking up the prices on the new Civic, and just want some clarification if I got a decent deal. My final price was around 32k-ish, monthly payments $454 a month. I didn’t have the best credit 661, which gave me a 6.37 interest rate. I also got the car the week they were released so there were no special offers or anything on the new models yet. & clearly I was inpatient haha. I sold my Nissan Altima to the dealer. I put $6,700 down and got 2k cash back. So if anyone can share their experiences at the dealer to compare? I’m aware I didn’t get the best deal, but is it at least moderate? View attachment 3061 View attachment 3062
Gilbert, I just signed on the same car without the HDP package. Good looking car!! I paid $25500 OTD, that's including the 7% sales tax in my state. I shopped around heavily through it and signed on Aug. 1st. I am very much a numbers guy so when purchasing a car I make sure to build a spreadsheet with all the info I need to know if the dealer is screwing me over. I plugged in the numbers you provided and attached are the results. Screen Shot

I also attached the results of my deal in the same format so you can compare directly. I financed apox 10k at honda's current deal on the civics @ 1.9% for 48 months.

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Gilbert, I just signed on the same car without the HDP package. Good looking car!! I paid $25500 OTD, that's including the 7% sales tax in my state. I shopped around heavily through it and signed on Aug. 1st. I am very much a numbers guy so when purchasing a car I make sure to build a spreadsheet with all the info I need to know if the dealer is screwing me over. I plugged in the numbers you provided and attached are the results. Screen Shot

I also attached the results of my deal in the same format so you can compare directly. I financed apox 10k at honda's current deal on the civics @ 1.9% for 48 months.
You got a 2000$ off MSRP in this market and for 2022 civic???!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
23 Posts
You got a 2000$ off MSRP in this market and for 2022 civic???!!!!!!!!
My "sale price" was $23595. That is with the transport fee, so what you would see as the "sticker price". I believe that's like $1000 off for my particular color, but yes that is what I paid. Money down talks though, find a dealer that needs that 10-15k in cash, and they'll be willing to slash their commission to get it. I also purchased at the end of the month, that way they would be more desperate for a sale to hit particular goals. Not all dealers offered me this trust me, I spoke with 10 different dealers in 3 citys.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi @Gillytron

I've seen worse, especially after adding tax and anything else that pushes it to around $600 OTD. Did you shop around before signing off on that monthly payment?

By the way, I started a thread on monthly payments, if you can add some of what you mentioned here to it that would be great:
Thanks that makes me feel a little better. When I went into the financing room they were trying to increase my monthly payment to $586 with the extended 100k miles warranty, but I said no. They then tried to give me a AAA member discount which brought it down to $474 a month, and I said no again. Lastly, he then brought in the dealer that I was working with and asked him for his employee ID number cus supposedly I was getting his discount and then brought it down to the price I’m paying now. & the price I’m paying now was the original number we agreed on for my monthly payments before going into financing, so I know they were trying to play me! & no, I didn’t go to any other dealers. I wanted the sonic grey pearl color and it’s the color that sells the quickest, so I wanted it. I kinda look at it as the price I had to pay for it 🤷🏻‍♂️

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Wow!!! I wish I got the same deal as you! & thank you for the spreadsheet, the numbers add up 👍🏻 My mistake was probably not shopping around… but how do you get a dealer to tell you the OTD price. I’ve attempted and they want to run my credit and all that

·
Registered
23 Posts
Wow!!! I wish I got the same deal as you! & thank you for the spreadsheet, the numbers add up 👍🏻 My mistake was probably not shopping around… but how do you get a dealer to tell you the OTD price. I’ve attempted and they want to run my credit and all that
Just walk in and act like you’re paying with cash. Tell them all that you’re worried about is the out the door price and that’s what you’re negotiating. If you don’t go into the dealership with a OTD number in mind they will have a number in mind for you. And it will be more than what you want to pay.

I did my research ahead of time and based off of different forums and such that I’ve read I knew exactly how much they were able to discount the car. Then I just shopped around until a dealer gave me that bottom price. At the time of purchasing the car, August 1, my price in mind was $25,500 out the door for a sport.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport SGP
18 Posts
Money down talks though, find a dealer that needs that 10-15k in cash, and they'll be willing to slash their commission to get it.
I'm sorry but this is quite inaccurate. Whether you leave 0 down or $20,000 down doesn't impact the total deal gross, which is the only thing that matters to the dealer when making a deal. I'm not trying to be "that person" but I just don't want others being misled into using an inaccurate sales strategy. Best thing to do is to ask for an OTD price inclusive of taxes and all fees. Once you agree on that, that's the time to get a trade involved if applicable. If you do this at the same time you ask for an OTD number, you risk the chance of the sales manager "showing" you a discount but withholding money on your trade ins actual cash value, which is what may have happened in your scenario and explains the steep discount. I hope that wasn't the case, but always a possibility. At the end of the day as long as your happy with your deal that's all that matters.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I'm sorry but this is quite inaccurate. Whether you leave 0 down or $20,000 down doesn't impact the total deal gross, which is the only thing that matters to the dealer when making a deal. I'm not trying to be "that person" but I just don't want others being misled into using an inaccurate sales strategy. Best thing to do is to ask for an OTD price inclusive of taxes and all fees. Once you agree on that, that's the time to get a trade involved if applicable. If you do this at the same time you ask for an OTD number, you risk the chance of the sales manager "showing" you a discount but withholding money on your trade ins actual cash value, which is what may have happened in your scenario and explains the steep discount. I hope that wasn't the case, but always a possibility. At the end of the day as long as your happy with your deal that's all that matters.
I totally agree with that sales strategy, and that’s what I did. I got $3800 trade-in on a 2015 Cruze twice rebuilt title with current body damage. It was worth about 5k on the open market so I felt that it was a pretty good trade in.

Cash down 100% affects your your payment though, and your interest percentage if financing through the dealer, and that was what I was referring to. This dealer had no idea I was financing until well after we agreed on that bottom price. Of course when they found that out they tried to renegotiate everything and build in more profit, but I was not willing to and eventually they took the deal at the first agreed on price with good % since there was a lot down.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts