11th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may sound sacrilegious in some circles...but who do you know anymore who drives a manual everyday? Maybe a weekend sports car, but the daily driver? Not many regular people I know anymore.

For the new Type-R:

• Honda needs to build more of them, ridiculous that they are still so hard to get a hold of
  • Add an auto option at least. I guarantee the auto would outsell the manual in a heartbeat.

For what it's worth, I'd choose the auto if it was my only car and a manual if the new Type R was for the weekend only.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Auto's outpaced manuals 15+ years ago so this is perfectly reasonable. Even more so if the hybrid rumors are true because the complexities it brings will only benefit from an auto. I only see a manual happening if they bring the S2000 back. Aside from that, its dead in most things truly sporty going forward.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I would LOVE if they could deliver a solid DCT... a Honda DCT would be amazing. And in a Type-R it would just kill!

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wouldn't say scrap the manual all together but an automatic option is desperately needed. Even better if it's a dual clutch.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would LOVE if they could deliver a solid DCT... a Honda DCT would be amazing. And in a Type-R it would just kill!
Honda doesn't make a DCT right? A DCT would be amazing.

There should also be an ILX Type-S with this powertrain. A revised ILX with the hot powertrain would help Acura. Like a new ITR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This may sound sacrilegious in some circles...but who do you know anymore who drives a manual everyday? Maybe a weekend sports car, but the daily driver? Not many regular people I know anymore.

For the new Type-R:

• Honda needs to build more of them, ridiculous that they are still so hard to get a hold of
  • Add an auto option at least. I guarantee the auto would outsell the manual in a heartbeat.
For what it's worth, I'd choose the auto if it was my only car and a manual if the new Type R was for the weekend only.
Hello, I drive a manual everyday, including heavy traffic. and 99.9% of the time I find a manual more convenient than an automatic transmission. Modern manuals, specially Honda and Mazda units are quite seamless and smooth.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I agree with you @dingo427 but most folks are just too lazy. The joy of a manual is fantastic. The feeling of always being in the gear you want to be is fantastic.
And the new ones are a joke to drive

You know... I drove a current gen Mazda3 and (to my surprise) you can put the shifter in and our of gear while driving (without touching the clutch). This seemed to work at low rpm... I mean... how do they do that?

·
Registered
73 Posts
Hello, I drive a manual everyday, including heavy traffic. and 99.9% of the time I find a manual more convenient than an automatic transmission. Modern manuals, specially Honda and Mazda units are quite seamless and smooth.
Welcome @dingo427

That is very true!

Its quite simple to deal with traffic, just stick in one gear till traffic picks up enough that you have to row through gears again. Also keeping enough distance between other cars helps. It just sucks when people see the space as an opportunity to continue lane hopping all while going nowhere.

Which new Honda and Mazda manuals have you tried so far?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Welcome @dingo427

That is very true!

Its quite simple to deal with traffic, just stick in one gear till traffic picks up enough that you have to row through gears again. Also keeping enough distance between other cars helps. It just sucks when people see the space as an opportunity to continue lane hopping all while going nowhere.

Which new Honda and Mazda manuals have you tried so far?
Test drove a Mazda 2 and currently own a GK 2015 Honda Fit. Outside the US, the manual in the Suzuki Swift goes quite well too.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I agree with you @dingo427 but most folks are just too lazy. The joy of a manual is fantastic. The feeling of always being in the gear you want to be is fantastic.
And the new ones are a joke to drive

You know... I drove a current gen Mazda3 and (to my surprise) you can put the shifter in and our of gear while driving (without touching the clutch). This seemed to work at low rpm... I mean... how do they do that?
It's funny you mention that because Hyundai has developed a clutchless manual transmission.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Test drove a Mazda 2 and currently own a GK 2015 Honda Fit. Outside the US, the manual in the Suzuki Swift goes quite well too.
The Honda fit is such an underrated car, it's a shame they stopped offering it in the US.

Also, welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I actually thought of buying one as a runabout. They're pretty fun little machines. And were always EASILY the best sub-compact you could buy.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I actually thought of buying one as a runabout. They're pretty fun little machines. And were always EASILY the best sub-compact you could buy.
It really was, hopefully those customers switch to Civics rather than HR-Vs. We don't need more SUVs on the road.

·
Registered
76 Posts
That seems to be where consumers are forcing the brands to go though.

I look forward to 20 years from now when everyone is marketing sedans as cool and retro.

·
Registered
2019 Accord 2.0T Manual
1 Posts
The younger generation is increasingly manual deficient. Many have never even been a passenger in a manual car. Pains me to say it but an auto option would be smart to increase sales but Honda should ALWAYS offer a manual especially in the Type R. I love my 2.0T Accord manual and will never buy an auto unless there was no choice. Put it this way, I would choose a Fit over the NSX. A manual transmission is THAT important to me as a driving enthusiast.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The younger generation is increasingly manual deficient. Many have never even been a passenger in a manual car. Pains me to say it but an auto option would be smart to increase sales but Honda should ALWAYS offer a manual especially in the Type R. I love my 2.0T Accord manual and will never buy an auto unless there was no choice. Put it this way, I would choose a Fit over the NSX. A manual transmission is THAT important to me as a driving enthusiast.
I completely understand this perspective, as I value a manual too. But I have to say, I don't know anyone under 30 years old who even knows how to drive a manual. Even among younger people interested in cars.

·
Registered
76 Posts
AMEN @fazzster

I think of it from a business perspective. If they have a DCT, then they'll sell a lot more of them, which makes it more likely that Honda can afford to offer a manual for those who love it.

I wonder if Honda will ever get a 7-spd manual?!?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
AMEN @fazzster

I think of it from a business perspective. If they have a DCT, then they'll sell a lot more of them, which makes it more likely that Honda can afford to offer a manual for those who love it.

I wonder if Honda will ever get a 7-spd manual?!?
Yes, I like this take--if they offer a DCT they can justify still selling some manuals to us. A 7-speed Honda manual would be the best manual ever!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts