11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My biggest worry when waiting for my reserved Si was the power numbers and the 5hp loss everyone was focusing on but my car actually feels quick and more than 200hp. The only tune I would even remotely consider would be to just eliminate the rev hang but other than that it's actually faster than I expected. I did see that dyno video of an Si making more power than what Honda claims but what do you guys think? Also, mine seems to be very well built, no rattles or weird noises, everything is straight as an arrow and solid. It's unfortunate people are having build quality issues but I'm in love with this car.

·
Registered
2022 SGP Civic Si (delivered!)
11 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
^ yeah that was me that started the conversation about how the car feels power-wise. As soon as I got the car I knew it was making about 230-240 engine hp based on other cars I have owned in the past with that level of power, and my butt dyno. It did not feel like just a 200 hp car. My guess turned out to be pretty accurate based on the dynos that were performed by others.

To me the car feels quick, but it isn't a really fast car. It has all of the power I need in daily driving to accelerate as fast as I want in any situation, and it is a very fun car, but I am not out there wanting to race others. I recently found out that it will roast the tires in 1st gear WOT if one drives like that. The car feels faster than the numbers show, and at the end of the day the power level suits me fine. I won't be tuning it either way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^ yeah that was me that started the conversation about how the car feels power-wise. As soon as I got the car I knew it was making about 230-240 engine hp based on other cars I have owned in the past with that level of power, and my butt dyno. It did not feel like just a 200 hp car. My guess turned out to be pretty accurate based on the dynos that were performed by others.

To me the car feels quick, but it isn't a really fast car. It has all of the power I need in daily driving to accelerate as fast as I want in any situation, and it is a very fun car, but I am not out there wanting to race others. I recently found out that it will roast the tires in 1st gear WOT if one drives like that. The car feels faster than the numbers show, and at the end of the day the power level suits me fine. I won't be tuning it either way.
I don't want to race it either (in a straight line lol). I'm coming from a Mini Cooper so handling is an important thing to me which is why I was attracted to the new Si but I honestly wasn't expecting it to feel this quick. The dealer put a full tank of 87 in it but it woke up with 93. I haven't even gone all out with it yet because it's still being broken in. Just did a few spirited 3rd-4th gear rips getting on the highway.

·
Registered
2022 Civic SI
33 Posts
Not looking to race, either, but have to admit I do like being first in line at a stop light so I can let it rip a bit when the light turns green. 2nd and 3rd gears are just awesome, on both up- and down-shifts.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not looking to race, either, but have to admit I do like being first in line at a stop light so I can let it rip a bit when the light turns green. 2nd and 3rd gears are just awesome, on both up- and down-shifts.
Yeah so true. There is something about first gear that I haven't fully got under control yet. If you go WOT in 1st you will get excessive wheel spin, then it revs so fast you hit redline too soon with the short gearing, so that makes the 0-60 times slower than they should be. This car really needs a redline that is 7k+.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Yes, I would also consider the Si "quick enough." That is, quick enough to put a little grin on your face, even if it's not quick enough to make you say 'whoa!'

I think lightweight wheels definitely help too. It's the only 'mod' I would strongly recommend for every owner.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Yes, I would also consider the Si "quick enough." That is, quick enough to put a little grin on your face, even if it's not quick enough to make you say 'whoa!'

I think lightweight wheels definitely help too. It's the only 'mod' I would strongly recommend for every owner.

Yeah I definitely felt a performance increase when I switched to lighter weight 19 lb rims, it feels like it gained about 10 hp, great mod if one can do it.

·
Registered
38 Posts

The "whoa" factor is exactly right. Pulled out onto a 55 mph highway today from an almost dead stop, had a car coming up quickly so I punched it...felt the turbo kick in and hoo-whee was that fun.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I do agree 1st is too short and doesn't help 0-60 times at all. Definitely not a drag car but was never intended to be. A lot of critics focus too narrowly on HP and 0-60 but I'm happy and know there's more to this car than just that.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I do agree 1st is too short and doesn't help 0-60 times at all. Definitely not a drag car but was never intended to be. A lot of critics focus too narrowly on HP and 0-60 but I'm happy and know there's more to this car than just that.
Must be your first Civic manual as that's how it's always been since the 80s with every generation.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My biggest worry when waiting for my reserved Si was the power numbers and the 5hp loss everyone was focusing on but my car actually feels quick and more than 200hp. The only tune I would even remotely consider would be to just eliminate the rev hang but other than that it's actually faster than I expected. I did see that dyno video of an Si making more power than what Honda claims but what do you guys think? Also, mine seems to be very well built, no rattles or weird noises, everything is straight as an arrow and solid. It's unfortunate people are having build quality issues but I'm in love with this car.
I can confirm that the 22 SI is indeed faster (in a straight line) than the 10th gen SI. At least from 50-130. 0-60 was difficult as we were on the highway. Not to mention the handling is 10x better in the 11th gen.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I agree that it’s quick enough. I go back and forth from my si to a 2013 boxster s. Similar weight but the si is giving up 115hp and 70 ft-lbs of torque. It’s not as though I believe the civic is quicker, but the gap feels smaller since the boxster is NA and the little 1.5L turbo has good torque from 2k rpm. It’s punchy and light on its feet and eager. More power w fwd wouldn’t mean much more in the way of fun from my perspective. I respect what the CTR is, but have never driven one cause the exterior design is too much for me to ever consider owning one. So, I don’t speak from experience of the CTR, but I will say the LSD on the Si is good but it isn’t magic. The relatively lower power suits the car.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Completely satisfied. Love driving this car.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I find that my Si can roast the tires in 1st gear and part way into 2nd gear, even with traction control on. I think it has about as much power as one can use on the street , I rarely go WOT in 1st gear due to traction issues.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I took delivery of my 2022 SI in December of 2021 so now I'm 11,000 miles into the experience.

For me the SI's three best parts are, 1. the Auto-Rev-Match, 2. the Limited Slip Differential, 3. the super stiff chassis.

So the best moments of SI ownership are when I can use all three of these items at approximately the same time, which is normally during cornering. The Rev-Match allows you to enter the corner concentrating on steering and braking, the wonderfully stiff chassis takes a set and the car's nose tracks, the limited slip differential hooks the tires up.

Then when the cornering is done you can go right back to getting 37mpg. I love this car.

·
Registered
2022 Civic SI
33 Posts
I agree completely, especially on the rev-match feature. (Have to admit, I need to learn more about what the slip differential means.)

For local driving, whenever there are two choices of routes, I always pick the one with more curves. On longer drives I look for spots to get off the interstate and take some windy roads, even more so if it's mountainous. (Probably why I don't get the 40+ MPG's out of my drives...)

I have to admit, at first I found the ride a bit overly stiff, especially on bumpy roads. But I've grown to appreciate that stiffness for what it means for handling. I'll take that trade-off any day.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts