11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Very glad to see that Honda continues to offer options for three-pedal enthusiasts. I am one of those who actually prefers the new styling over the old one. At this time, the sport hatchback is looking mighty tempting....

However, I am aware of grinding Honda manual gearboxes (e.g., the Type R and previous generations of Civics). Anyone have any info regarding whether the upcoming models will have an updated/upgraded/newly-designed gearbox?

I'm seriously hoping that any existing issues are fixed - hoping to get one of these to teach my daughter how to drive stick in a few months. Trying to do my bit to keep the group of manual drivers from shrinking.

·
Registered
90 Posts
From the US Honda press release for the 2022 Civic Hatchback:

"A new 6-speed manual transmission is available in Sport and Sport Touring grades. The transmission has been revised for an even sportier feel with improved shift rigidity and shorter shift throws."

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From the US Honda press release for the 2022 Civic Hatchback:

"A new 6-speed manual transmission is available in Sport and Sport Touring grades. The transmission has been revised for an even sportier feel with improved shift rigidity and shorter shift throws."
Thanks for the input, must have missed that. I probably should have searched the forum in more detail anyway - I found a similar response from you on another thread. So thanks also for taking the effort to respond again instead of responding with the "search the forum" kind of reply.

Regarding the transmission, that's interesting. Hopefully it is a substantial redesign that will address the crunch/grind issues, and not a marketing statement with minor tweaks such as short shifter modifications.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Thanks. Small data set, but I own a 2018 Civic LX coupe and 2020 Civic Sport sedan, both with manual and haven't experienced any grinding.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Even more interesting. Would you mind answering a couple of questions for me:

• The Civic Sport - is it tuned or any other mods? How is the performance without the diff that they put into the Si?
  • How many miles do you have on each of these?
  • Any modifications you might have preemptively made out of the box to prevent grinds?

For the record, I'm a FoST guy, forever mad at Ford for discontinuing their sedans/hatchbacks in the US. I realize that we are probably in the last few years with the ICE, even more so for manuals. Am very interested in seeing how the new Civic hatch tests out. Hope to grab one, maybe two vehicles for the long haul before the three-pedal setup disappears for good when it comes to choosing a new car.

Now, hopefully you guys won't run me off your forum for being a non-Honda guy :)

·
Registered
707 Posts

• The Civic Sport - is it tuned or any other mods? How is the performance without the diff that they put into the Si?
  • Any modifications you might have preemptively made out of the box to prevent grinds?

For the record, I'm a FoST guy, forever mad at Ford for discontinuing their sedans/hatchbacks in the US. I realize that we are probably in the last few years with the ICE, even more so for manuals. Am very interested in seeing how the new Civic hatch tests out. Hope to grab one, maybe two vehicles for the long haul before the three-pedal setup disappears for good when it comes to choosing a new car.

Now, hopefully you guys won't run me off your forum for being a non-Honda guy :)
All are welcome! And yea, love the Focus ST. Brilliant machine and a real shame Ford is dropping all those awesome cars.

·
Registered
90 Posts

Welcome! Both my cars are bone stock. Both under 10k miles.

Welcome! Both my cars are bone stock, low mileage.

This article summarizes what I love about them, even in stock form:

Still set on getting a 2022 Si. But plan to keep the other two as well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
All are welcome! And yea, love the Focus ST. Brilliant machine and a real shame Ford is dropping all those awesome cars.
Thank you. I believe it is ultimately about the cars and the joy of driving. Will keep following this forum closely.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Welcome! Both my cars are bone stock. Both under 10k miles.

Welcome! Both my cars are bone stock, low mileage.

This article summarizes what I love about them, even in stock form:

Still set on getting a 2022 Si. But plan to keep the other two as well.
Yes, the article summarizes all the good things I've heard about the Civic. Curious to see how they spec out the Si. Thanks again for all your input.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Welcome to the forum @MacawMania
What specs are you hoping to see in the Si?
Thank you.

Just curious to see what the improvement on the new Si is compared to the previous generation Si, and compared to the Sport and Touring versions of the latest generation. I'm not anticipating any major revisions - slight tweaks in power and handling on what I understand is already a very good-handling car. I tend to favor light weight and good handling over sheer power, and that's what I believe is the general Civic philosophy.

I do hope they keep the diff in the new Si, though. Made a huge difference when I got one installed on my FoST. And, I read that one reason some Honda folks preferred the previous generation Si over the Sport was because of the diff.

Do you have any thoughts as to what you'd like to see?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Would anyone know if the new 6 speed manual will be flat towable behind an RV. The Hatch Back offers what looks like great space and yes the Sport touring would be a blast to drive!

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Would anyone know if the new 6 speed manual will be flat towable behind an RV. The Hatch Back offers what looks like great space and yes the Sport touring would be a blast to drive!
Welcome to the forum @mkitzy. It's generally understood that manuals transmission cars are flat towable and without any modifications required. I believe that should be true for our 2022+ Civics.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks for the input, must have missed that. I probably should have searched the forum in more detail anyway - I found a similar response from you on another thread. So thanks also for taking the effort to respond again instead of responding with the "search the forum" kind of reply.

Regarding the transmission, that's interesting. Hopefully it is a substantial redesign that will address the crunch/grind issues, and not a marketing statement with minor tweaks such as short shifter modifications.
Unfortunately I think the real answer to the question is when the aftermarket starts to dig into things they will tell us if there is any difference between 20/21 🙈

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Unfortunately I think the real answer to the question is when the aftermarket starts to dig into things they will tell us if there is any difference between 20/21 🙈
Agreed. And/or owners come back and complain about any recurring problems from the older models as seen on the most recent generation. I guess it's just a waiting game - wait to see what the early adopters and aftermarket have to say. Personally, I generally prefer to invest in any new technology or product at least after the first year/product cycle so that any initial production/design bugs are worked out. But, a shout out to the early adopters who do take the associated risks so that the more conservative among us are better informed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Agreed. And/or owners come back and complain about any recurring problems from the older models as seen on the most recent generation. I guess it's just a waiting game - wait to see what the early adopters and aftermarket have to say. Personally, I generally prefer to invest in any new technology or product at least after the first year/product cycle so that any initial production/design bugs are worked out. But, a shout out to the early adopters who do take the associated risks so that the more conservative among us are better informed.
I’m on the same page . I really like my little 22 civic. The dealer said when he got a 2022 type R in this store he would give me 1st shot for it and would do MSRP. I have never paid MSRP before but I guess that’s a good price for that car. My only concern is I won’t like the ride? Will see I guess. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
I’m on the same page . I really like my little 22 civic. The dealer said when he got a 2022 type R in this store he would give me 1st shot for it and would do MSRP. I have never paid MSRP before but I guess that’s a good price for that car. My only concern is I won’t like the ride? Will see I guess. 🤷‍♂️
I've never paid MRSP for a car either but for the Type R, you are correct. MSRP actually starts to look good for this car given the obscene, brazen, shameless (the list goes on) dealer markups. I've heard of up to $10-15k markups! That, and I'm also seeing dealers adding "dealer-installed options" that you pay extra for. Stuff they think you will need but don't really need. They know this car will sell itself, so they are more than happy to tell you to go take a hike if you have any problems with pricing. Your dealer actually seems to be one of the nicer ones around in that sense. I wonder if going through Costco, Autoland or similar services might be a better option. As for the ride, I suppose that is a subjective and individual preference. Personally, I prefer my suspension setup to be on the stiffer side.

I know for myself that no matter how good a car is, I would never purchase a car for over MSRP. Just does not feel right to me. I'm still a few months away from buying a vehicle, so I'm happy to wait and watch how the market evolves. Hopefully, the insane prices stabilize over the next few months. And, I also have my eye on the upcoming Toyobaru twins and the new WRX (although I fear that Subaru has messed up the WRX styling from the initial images we are seeing). I'm interested in seeing a comparison between the GR86/BRZ and the Civic Si, and between the Type R and the WRX/STI. And the new Nissan Z is coming as well. (Although I've heard that this is mostly an engine upgrade on an aging platform.) We live in good times - FWD cars are now able to take the fight to their RWD/AWD counterparts. And win on some occasions.

Sorry, did not mean to hijack the thread with other cars - I realize we are talking about the Civic here, but as a car enthusiast, I sometimes get carried away :)

·
Registered
109 Posts
I guess I’ll know when I drive it I’m just impatient well that’s what my wife tells me anyway 🤣. We are definitely on the same page.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts