11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback EX-L
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did not find any maintenance schedule in all the paperwork that came with the car. Googled it and found various dealer sites showing a maintenance schedule based on mileage. Checked several dealers and all had the same info. The dealer sites were showing for example spark plug replacement at 15,000 miles.

hard to imagine spark plugs would be replaced that soon.

has anyone found a correct maintenance schedule?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport Sedan
51 Posts
The maintenance minder feature of the cars electronics will tell you when to perform maintenance such as oil and filter changes, plugs, etc. It will vary from car to car based on driving conditions etc. For instance my car has a little over 3000 miles, car says oil life is still 80%. Based on that I shouldn't have to change oil until 10000 to 12000 miles or so. It will pop up messages and tell you what maintenance is required. As long as you follow its recommendations Honda can't claim you didn't maintain the car properly if you have problems.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My girlfriend has that feature on her Challenger, for some reason I hate the whole "80%" remaining type of deal. I like tracking maintenance by miles or time for some reason, I wish they had a flat out schedule. Toyota has always been so up front with their schedules.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic ST Sonic Gray Pearl
140 Posts
I couldn't find a maintenance schedule either. Nothing in the manual that I could find (although tbh, I didn't search that hard).

My plan is to follow the onboard computer messages for oil. I don't plan on having the car long enough for the other stuff, but it would still be good to know that information.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Maintenance minders are pretty good for estimating oil life. they use algorithms based on exterior temps, rpms, idling, and type of driving etc. One interval may be 6000 miles, the next one can be 7000 or 5000 etc. Today's oil can definitely be run longer than in the past, oil changes based on driving variables is pretty cool.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Manual actually spells out to follow the maintenance minder; there is no set schedule.

Having said that, those things are usually pretty close to reliably mileage based and I'd expect to see it popping up about every 5k give or take (depending on the service needed). I personally would do oil at 5k (though I bet a 7.5 or 10 change would be okay, too, I just like to do stuff like that), air filter at 20k or when it needs it based on harder use, plugs I wouldn't think would need to be changed until probably 60k or so... I guess I might pop one out at 30k to look at it, but I'd be surprised if there was anything untoward at that time.

Reactions: wilbur_the_goose

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
319 Posts
Maintenance minders are pretty good for estimating oil life. they use algorithms based on exterior temps, rpms, idling, and type of driving etc. One interval may be 6000 miles, the next one can be 7000 or 5000 etc. Today's oil can definitely be run longer than in the past, oil changes based on driving variables is pretty cool.
Exactly. Miles don't matter so much as the kind of miles, for the engine oil.

I mean, would you want to just change your tires based on "every four years or 40,000 miles, whichever comes first" or based on checking your tire tread?

Maybe you do a lot of city and/or aggressive driving on bad roads, and need to change them at 25,000 miles and risk blowing out or hydroplaning if you rode them to 40,000... Or maybe you drive on smooth highways all the time and there's plenty of tread to get you safely to 50K or more. And maybe you do that in three years, or six years.

You can't "check the oil composition" like you can examine a tire tread, you'd have to siphon out an oil sample and run it through some kind of oil test analyzer. So in Ye Olde Days, a combined months/miles rule of thumb was all they gave you. But nowadays the car has sensors that help it effectively do that "from the inside", and that's what the maintenance minder is providing.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great advice, assuming the onboard computer, maintenance minder, algorithms, etc., etc., is 100% in perfect working order, always and all the time. I simply swap out old oil for new twice a year. Older oil is just that no matter what a computer tells you (or may not be telling you). Conversely, cleaner oil is also just that, cleaner. Twice a year works. Even the computer likes it. :coffee:

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
87 Posts
I have 24,000 and some change on the clock. I change oil at 7,500 miles. Air filter at 20,000, coolant flush at 60,000, trans service and spark plugs at 90,000. I traded a 2017 Civic in December of 2020 with 125,000 miles for half what I paid new after using these intervals. The car was like new but I drive 85% highway driving. Over the last 24,000 miles I have averaged 33.1 mpg.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Great advice, assuming the onboard computer, maintenance minder, algorithms, etc., etc., is 100% in perfect working order, always and all the time. I simply swap out old oil for new twice a year. Older oil is just that no matter what a computer tells you (or may not be telling you). Conversely, cleaner oil is also just that, cleaner. Twice a year works. Even the computer likes it. :coffee:
I might really confuse you with this next one, but I have read some opinions that changing oil too often can lead to more deposits. When you first dump in new oil the lighter components within the oil burn off quicker and within the first part of the oil change interval, after that oil burn-off slows down. Changing it to frequently might lead to more deposits on the upper engine parts. I'm not sure what I believe but opinions are light buttholes remember. I will change my oil when the maintenance minder gets down around 10-15 % more than likely. I will always be using a full synthetic, 0w-20 pretty much has to be full synthetic. I'm estimating it will be 6000 miles, my other cars seem to be right around that mark.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nah, not confused at all. Changing oil once or twice a year is hardly "too often." Anything more than that would be uncessary for most everyone's situation. I'm liking Castrol Edge 0w-20 synthetic and Bosch oil filters.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Does anybody change their oil every 3K miles? I once bought a used car with a "powertrain warranty". Read the fine print, and it required 3k mile oil changes, which is really dumb in 2022!

·
Registered
466 Posts
I checked the oil today, first time since getting the car. It is tricky identifying the oil level when it is clean oil, I guess that is good as the oil in my 2016 Civic turned black really fast.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I might really confuse you with this next one, but I have read some opinions that changing oil too often can lead to more deposits. When you first dump in new oil the lighter components within the oil burn off quicker and within the first part of the oil change interval, after that oil burn-off slows down. Changing it to frequently might lead to more deposits on the upper engine parts. I'm not sure what I believe but opinions are light buttholes remember. I will change my oil when the maintenance minder gets down around 10-15 % more than likely. I will always be using a full synthetic, 0w-20 pretty much has to be full synthetic. I'm estimating it will be 6000 miles, my other cars seem to be right around that mark.

He has no idea what he's talking about and will offer no proof of evidence that MM is somehow unreliable to follow. I follow MM to around 30% and use Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20. I will be sending an oil sample to blackstone to see how much farther I can push the oil, since just "looking" at an oil color proves absolutely nothing.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I follow MM to around 30% and use Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20. I will be sending an oil sample to blackstone to see how much farther I can push the oil, since just "looking" at an oil color proves absolutely nothing.
I didn't mean to indicate anyone was changing oil too often, just that there have been studies to show that changing it too often does not equate with lower engine wear and deposits.

That is a great idea, I have used used oil samples on other vehicles. I am really interested in any fuel dilution as my 2016 Civic had an issue with that (as did thousands of others). When you get the Blackstone results you can use TBN numbers to figure out how much life is remaining in the oil. I think fuel %, viscosity, and TBN will be important numbers to consider , then adjust accordingly.

I want to find an oil that has good Moly levels, Toyota has a great 0w-20 oil (made by Idimetsu ?) with lots of Moly. I don't who makes the Honda branded oil, I wish I knew. Amsoil is a fantastic oil too.

·
Registered
87 Posts
He has no idea what he's talking about and will offer no proof of evidence that MM is somehow unreliable to follow. I follow MM to around 30% and use Amsoil Signature Series 0w-20. I will be sending an oil sample to blackstone to see how much farther I can push the oil, since just "looking" at an oil color proves absolutely nothing.
Oh this guy, so salty about oil in any thread that ever discusses it. Prove what? I've never said the Maintenance Minder flat out doesnt work. I look at the MM but that's as far as it goes. I merely choose not to solely depend on it and you still really need to get over that fact. I change my own oil once to twice a year depending on my own usage of my own vehicle, not yours, and so you don't totally freak the f*ck out again, most years it is only once a year, so breathe. I'm not losing sleep over you not changing your oil or oil filters for years on end. I could really care less. :eek:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts