11th Gen Civic Forum banner

Low MPG? LX only getting 21mpg

16K views 37 replies 22 participants last post by  rw7_trombone 
#1 ·
Hi I'm curious what other Honda Civic LX owners are getting for their mpg? I've put in 1000 miles on my car and I thought the mpg would calibrate after all these miles driven, but it seems like I'm getting lower mpg than I was with my 2019 civic LX. I drive with the auto engine shutoff and Eco and generally like to push the pedal, but my driving style has not changed between the Civic LX 2019 and LX 2022. Is there something wrong or all 2022 LX getting this low of mpg?

#3 ·
Important to also note, engine break-in will increase mpg over time. Many of my past civics (of various gens) started with really low (25-27mpg) until I had broken the engine in (around 2-3k miles) and the mpg started to steadily climb with each fill up.

As Le Tour mentioned, city versus hwy driving makes a massive difference too. Personal experience with the econ mode, is that I always got LOWER mpg having it on for regular day to day driving. It really only works well on longer trips holding steady speed.

#4 ·
Important to also note, engine break-in will increase mpg over time. Many of my past civics (of various gens) started with really low (25-27mpg) until I had broken the engine in (around 2-3k miles) and the mpg started to steadily climb with each fill up.

As Le Tour mentioned, city versus hwy driving makes a massive difference too. Personal experience with the econ mode, is that I always got LOWER mpg having it on for regular day to day driving. It really only works well on longer trips holding steady speed.
Interesting, I've been in Econ mode 95% of the time for city and highway driving. It cuts AC power compared to normal and makes the Adaptive Cruise Control a little more gentle on the acceleration. I'm averaging 35-37 MPG with a 50/50 split on city and highway miles. Most trips are between 10-20 miles.

Also to note, I'm at 4k miles on month one of ownership, so lots of seat time. I just finished a 1,200-mile road trip and found that driving 85 MPH yielded 28 MPG. Dropping to 75 MPH, brought me up to 38 MPG. Typically on my shorter drives, I stick to 65 MPH and continuously see 41+ MPG for that drive.

#8 ·
Ugh, yes - but I’m in a sport. Manufacture date of 7/‘21 out of Canada. Left it at dealer for five days and they said they got 34mpgs over a four mile drive, yet it was returned to me with 22.8. Whatever the case, they said no issue - shocker. I am so frustrated. I can’t surpass 27ish in normal on highway driving speed limit. It’s definitely not my driving and I’m frustrated hearing that elsewhere, especially since others are experiencing similar and with the same manufacture info. I had an 01 accord brand new drove for 10 years and a brand new 12 civic lx I drove for 10 years… I’m well-versed will Honda driving and the fuel efficiency they should be getting.

#9 · (Edited)
With nearly 500 miles put on a sport, tires inflated to recommended, no AC, and auto idle/stop set to off, I’m getting 35.8 mpg in speed limit city driving in Econ mode. Tire inflation is key as well as having a consistent light pedal footing to keeping those mpg numbers on the higher side. So far, so good. Good to hear from others that highway miles are also hovering near the mpg as factory listed.

#10 ·
Hmm interesting. My Touring gets 39mpg and I leave it in sport mode all the time. Mostly highway driving though. I drive Canadian prairies though so it's rather flat. I've seen as low as 5.6L/100 and my worst usage in the last 2000km was 6.7L/100km , it hovers around 6L/100km average. I just run regular 87 octane as well and whatever the air said in the door jam for tires.

#12 ·
I said I would report my mpg - so far, I'm at 29.8 mpg. Car purchased very recently, still on first tank of gas.

This is without ever using ECON mode (never even pushed the button once) in city driving, no highway. I also try to turn off Idle-Stop when I start my car. (Sometimes I forget, but as soon as I hear the engine turning on/off at a traffic light, I turn it off immediately.)

#17 ·
Got just shy of 1000 miles on my sport, 1st tank 80% city driving, about 35.5mpg, 2nd tank 70% city driving, 37.9 mpg, 3rd tank so far 36.5mpg on 75% city. Gonna do a 100% highway trip with cruise control end of the month, and based on what I've seen so far, I expect 40mpg. Will post updates when I'm done.

#18 ·
Just got done with my road trip, basically 100% highway, 65-73 mph, thru the mountains of WV. Going north i got 40 mpg actual, 400 miles, 10.0 gallon to fill up. Trip showed 39.5 mpg. Coming back south went 400 miles on 9.6 gallon for 41.5 mpg. Econ mode, cruise control the whole way. Only slowdowns were at toll booths on the WV turnpike. Very pleased with this.

#19 ·
I just set trip B and spent the last week driving across several states to visit family. Over 2000 miles, average speed above 50 mph. Most of my freeway speeds were around 80 mph, occasionally in the low 70s, occasionally 90. Lots of stop and go and lots of stretches of open road no traffic.

Average for the entire trip was 30 mpg

I guess it gets better mileage than other cars I've owned LOL but the only way to get the rated mpg is to drive like a senior citizen and keep it under the speed limit

#20 ·
I had my first "extended" trip - 40 miles each way on the highway. Going between 70-80mph in ECON mode. The highest I was able to get was 34mpg. I'm averaging well under 30mpg in normal everyday driving in normal mode. I'm just over 800 miles. Definitely not the greatest and much lower than I expected.

#21 ·
I like you am getting 20mpg highway and street on the 2022 lx so I traded it in for the 2022 sport still same issue. Both cars would randomly shut down after 4 hours of driving until fuel cleaner was put in. After doing research the 2020 Accords were recalled because of faulty fuel pumps. I am also hearing a whining noise coming from the fuel pump.

At this point nothing is being done and the dealerships are blaming me for plugging an adapter to the car cigarette lighter. I am taking it to another dealership last time tomorrow before giving up altogether.

#22 ·
Apparently the fuel cleaner cleared the faulty chemical that was added to the fuel pump. The dealership could not find anything wrong so I just wasted more time. Does not solve my low mpg and if you go to any of them they will blame you on how you drive. I am done if anyone's child dies when the car stalls please contact me here if you want to pursue a class action case. I also filed a consumer complaint with the Attorney General. I just like to let everyone know you are not alone and one person can make a difference.

#24 · (Edited)
It seems like Honda is ignoring the issue and blaming the individual driver. I am continuously avg 19-20 mpg city and if driving exclusively on the freeway I might hit 23 mpg. Since not all civics are averaging the same low mpg as me and the OP did it is safe to speculate with the supply chain shortages they did not look at what they were putting and some got the faulty pumps while other got good ones. Since there are many civics on the market I do not expect them to do the right thing and do a recall because I am the only one complaining to the NHTSA and corporate about it. There might be a few stragglers that noticed it but then the techs in the dealership do a good job containing the issue by putting the blame on something else or even you.

They can call me a martyr or even deny the issue, but the fact is I did everything possible to get this to the attention of Honda and I am being ignored and outright put aside as a possible crazy person because according to them I am the only one speaking up so the problem does not exist.

#25 ·
Have you found out anymore?Do you ever get a distinct fuel smell from inside the car when it’s running and sometimes outside of the vehicle when it’s running? Starting to think it’s running rich. I’m getting average 24 mpg in my 2022 sport and drive like a granny in eco mode. Best I’ve seen is mid 30s following a semi downhill lol. Car has about 3k miles now.

#26 ·
I did my first highway drive yesterday, 4 hours of highway driving in less than perfect conditions - frigid temps and we are on winter fuel. I was right about 41 mpgs at 70 mph. My Si runs at 2700 rpms on the highway too, higher than other trim levels. I do this same trip 2-3 times a month and have done it for many years, this was the least amount of fuel I have ever used on this trip with any car I have ever owned. Super impressed. I don't follow city driving stats that much as I rarely drive the same on any given day in the city, but my highway trips are very consistent.

#27 ·
Yea I love everything about this Civic and actually my first Honda too. I have the Civic Sport which has the 2.0. Got it back at the start of August so Si wasn’t an option. Sold my 2016 Ram Crew Cab because I was offered stupid money for it due to truck shortages and seen some stuff about the Civic and loved the styling also it had the driving assist features I was looking to get in a new car. Figured with truck shortages and prices to get something that is cheap, reliable and have great fuel economy. Live in Cleveland and mix of city highway. Have yet to take it on a long trip. I’ve been considering jumping into the Si if I can get out of this one even money only because the MPG has peeved me off it’s just I don’t know if I would have the energy everyday to drive a manual now with a 9 and 6 year old giving me those mature adult driving habits lol.

#37 ·
Im having the same issue with my honda civic lx 2020. It use insane 16L per 100km. Um so 😡. I already check the car in dealership and they said engine is still new and need time to adjust. Engine is 2 years old. What a liars. Will have to go again back to dealership. Im so pissed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.