11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi I'm curious what other Honda Civic LX owners are getting for their mpg? I've put in 1000 miles on my car and I thought the mpg would calibrate after all these miles driven, but it seems like I'm getting lower mpg than I was with my 2019 civic LX. I drive with the auto engine shutoff and Eco and generally like to push the pedal, but my driving style has not changed between the Civic LX 2019 and LX 2022. Is there something wrong or all 2022 LX getting this low of mpg?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Are you looking at tank average mpg or just individual trip mpg? What’s your drive actually look like? Mostly city stop and go with heavy acceleration?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
Important to also note, engine break-in will increase mpg over time. Many of my past civics (of various gens) started with really low (25-27mpg) until I had broken the engine in (around 2-3k miles) and the mpg started to steadily climb with each fill up.

As Le Tour mentioned, city versus hwy driving makes a massive difference too. Personal experience with the econ mode, is that I always got LOWER mpg having it on for regular day to day driving. It really only works well on longer trips holding steady speed.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Important to also note, engine break-in will increase mpg over time. Many of my past civics (of various gens) started with really low (25-27mpg) until I had broken the engine in (around 2-3k miles) and the mpg started to steadily climb with each fill up.

As Le Tour mentioned, city versus hwy driving makes a massive difference too. Personal experience with the econ mode, is that I always got LOWER mpg having it on for regular day to day driving. It really only works well on longer trips holding steady speed.
Interesting, I've been in Econ mode 95% of the time for city and highway driving. It cuts AC power compared to normal and makes the Adaptive Cruise Control a little more gentle on the acceleration. I'm averaging 35-37 MPG with a 50/50 split on city and highway miles. Most trips are between 10-20 miles.

Also to note, I'm at 4k miles on month one of ownership, so lots of seat time. I just finished a 1,200-mile road trip and found that driving 85 MPH yielded 28 MPG. Dropping to 75 MPH, brought me up to 38 MPG. Typically on my shorter drives, I stick to 65 MPH and continuously see 41+ MPG for that drive.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
Interesting, I've been in Econ mode 95% of the time for city and highway driving. It cuts AC power compared to normal and makes the Adaptive Cruise Control a little more gentle on the acceleration. I'm averaging 35-37 MPG with 50/50 split on city and highway miles. Most trips are between 10-20 miles.
Like I said, personal experience. Anytime I've driven consistently with Econ on, my mpg drops about 2mpg on average with mixed city/hwy driving day to day. I think at least in part, because of the less aggressive throttle response in Econ, I end up being more aggressive with the gas pedal from stops to get up to speed as quickly as it is without Econ on.

For me, on a long trip that has alot of steady cruising the less sensitive throttle and lessened AC it helps, but in my normal day to day commute and such, it actually can make mpg worse if not driven in a certain way.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Like I said, personal experience. Anytime I've driven consistently with Econ on, my mpg drops about 2mpg on average with mixed city/hwy driving day to day. I think at least in part, because of the less aggressive throttle response in Econ, I end up being more aggressive with the gas pedal from stops to get up to speed as quickly as it is without Econ on.

For me, on a long trip that has alot of steady cruising the less sensitive throttle and lessened AC it helps, but in my normal day to day commute and such, it actually can make mpg worse if not driven in a certain way.
I'll have to give it a tank in Normal a try and see if it's made any difference in my MPGs. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just adding another data point: my car (Sport trim) has 700 miles on it so far, and my average MPG is sitting at around 43. Most of those miles were on the highway (65 mph and Econ mode).

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi I'm curious what other Honda Civic LX owners are getting for their mpg? I've put in 1000 miles on my car and I thought the mpg would calibrate after all these miles driven, but it seems like I'm getting lower mpg than I was with my 2019 civic LX. I drive with the auto engine shutoff and Eco and generally like to push the pedal, but my driving style has not changed between the Civic LX 2019 and LX 2022. Is there something wrong or all 2022 LX getting this low of mpg?
Ugh, yes - but I’m in a sport. Manufacture date of 7/‘21 out of Canada. Left it at dealer for five days and they said they got 34mpgs over a four mile drive, yet it was returned to me with 22.8. Whatever the case, they said no issue - shocker. I am so frustrated. I can’t surpass 27ish in normal on highway driving speed limit. It’s definitely not my driving and I’m frustrated hearing that elsewhere, especially since others are experiencing similar and with the same manufacture info. I had an 01 accord brand new drove for 10 years and a brand new 12 civic lx I drove for 10 years… I’m well-versed will Honda driving and the fuel efficiency they should be getting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With nearly 500 miles put on a sport, tires inflated to recommended, no AC, and auto idle/stop set to off, I’m getting 35.8 mpg in speed limit city driving in Econ mode. Tire inflation is key as well as having a consistent light pedal footing to keeping those mpg numbers on the higher side. So far, so good. Good to hear from others that highway miles are also hovering near the mpg as factory listed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hmm interesting. My Touring gets 39mpg and I leave it in sport mode all the time. Mostly highway driving though. I drive Canadian prairies though so it's rather flat. I've seen as low as 5.6L/100 and my worst usage in the last 2000km was 6.7L/100km , it hovers around 6L/100km average. I just run regular 87 octane as well and whatever the air said in the door jam for tires.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I just got my Civic not long ago - what's the easiest way to check MPG? Or do you have to convert it depending on your country (Miles vs. Km)?

I'll report back on mine.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I said I would report my mpg - so far, I'm at 29.8 mpg. Car purchased very recently, still on first tank of gas.

This is without ever using ECON mode (never even pushed the button once) in city driving, no highway. I also try to turn off Idle-Stop when I start my car. (Sometimes I forget, but as soon as I hear the engine turning on/off at a traffic light, I turn it off immediately.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts