11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I come off as a newcomer, but I'll ask: what exactly is "S Mode"?

What are people's experiences with it? Any noticable change in gas mileage? I already understand some economical features get disabled. Otherwise, why shouldn't I always drive in S mode?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I assume you're talking about Sport mode. It keeps the power band up which is good driving on mountain roads which I do. In town I find no real benefit so once I get off the mountain I go back to Normal mode. I don't see my MPG drop while in Sport mode but I don't stay there long. I'm averaging 35.7 last I looked. For the most part keeping it in Normal 95% of the time is optimal. I've not gone on a road trip yet but if I do I'll put it in eco mode and set the cruise for best MPG. I heard being in Sport mode disables the Auto Start/Stop function but have not tested that. I push the button to turn it off each time I start it now. Not sure what else it does. Hope you enjoy your new Civic.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rally Red)
33 Posts
"S Mode" will make the gas pedal more responsive as well as make both RPM & Speedometer dials on the 10.2 inch display red. Fuel consumption does increase although I am uncertain if "Sport Mode" stiffens the suspension as in some other sports car vehicles. Also, the paddle shifters hold the RPMs until the meter hits red line but this applies to all modes I believe since I haven't tried it myself in my own car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks. I guess I was curious if there was any difference in the "S" on the shifter (models without driving mode and paddle shifters), and the Sport "driving mode". Honda seems to shy away from calling the former "sport".

They say to use it for better acceleration, increased engine braking, and for going up/down hills. I guess that is a similar experience to sport? Don't know what else "S" could stand for.

·
Registered
1 Posts
S mode from the shifter isn’t really a sport mode. In my CR-V at least, it just holds the revs longer, but not in a particular sporty way. Maybe it goes a little faster if you smash the gas pedal, but I don’t consider it sport mode. My understanding is the sport mode in Civics with the drive mode switch also makes the throttle more responsive, sort of how eco mode makes it less so.

·
Registered
785 Posts
S mode from the shifter isn’t really a sport mode. In my CR-V at least, it just holds the revs longer, but not in a particular sporty way. Maybe it goes a little faster if you smash the gas pedal, but I don’t consider it sport mode. My understanding is the sport mode in Civics with the drive mode switch also makes the throttle more responsive, sort of how eco mode makes it less so.
Welcome to the forum @JMKUSA.
Which new Civic model did you get? Add it to The 2022+ 11th Gen Civic Owners Registry

1 - 6 of 6 Posts