11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello!
So this week, a handful of times, I got into the car, placed fob in console, put seatbelt on, pressed brake and ignition start button, but it wouldn’t crank. I tried two or three times and was getting a handful of error lights on the dash (don’t ask me to tell you which lol) and also illuminated display saying to press brake and press ignition button - which as I said, I was doing. It took four or five attempts and I’d finally get it started up. Nothing was any different than any other start up.

Also, again - a handful of times this week, when locking the car from the door panel and closing my door - while walking away from the car, I was getting beeped at by he car, like… annoyingly so - as in other people looked at me like I was a dummy that didn’t know how to lock my car properly. In those instances, I hit the lock button on the fob a few times until it would ultimately cut it out.

I’ve got the sport trim and just passed 500 miles.

Anyone else have any similar issues? I’m really hoping these are not first-year rollout issues - I don’t want to regret this purchase!

Side note, I’ve still not surpassed 28 mpg - even on lengthy highway travel, or straightforward city driving sans AC and in Econ mode. I’m so bummed - I anticipated at least hitting 30 mpgs minimum, as my ‘12 Civic I came from would push nearly 40, out the door from the dealership and the entirety of the decade that I owned it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I’m sorry to report that I have not experienced all of these issues with my sport model. The start engine button should not be acting like that.

However, I have experienced the beeping when walking away from the car. I did turn the feature on to auto lock once 10ft away from the car. I’ll pay attention next time when it does it. I believe it only does this with the feature enabled.

Lastly, when it comes to gas mileage, I’ve been averaging between 34 and 38 miles to the gallon. I drive mixed highway and hilly roads. However, when I drive in sport mode the gas mileage decreases a large amount. Ranging between 21 to 26 miles to the gallon. I’m sure like most of us when we are in sport mode we are in the high rpm’s. I limit sport mode for the weekends… and use normal drive mode primarily. I’ve seen other threads in this forum with people experiencing the same issue with gas mileage. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one has reported back yet as to what the dealer has found. I’d definitely take your car to the dealer and have them take a look. You’re within the warranty, they will help you out.

I hope you can figure these issues out and fully enjoy this beautiful machine for what it is.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’m sorry to report that I have not experienced all of these issues with my sport model. The start engine button should not be acting like that.

However, I have experienced the beeping when walking away from the car. I did turn the feature on to auto lock once 10ft away from the car. I’ll pay attention next time when it does it. I believe it only does this with the feature enabled.

Lastly, when it comes to gas mileage, I’ve been averaging between 34 and 38 miles to the gallon. I drive mixed highway and hilly roads. However, when I drive in sport mode the gas mileage decreases a large amount. Ranging between 21 to 26 miles to the gallon. I’m sure like most of us when we are in sport mode we are in the high rpm’s. I limit sport mode for the weekends… and use normal drive mode primarily. I’ve seen other threads in this forum with people experiencing the same issue with gas mileage. Unfortunately, to my knowledge, no one has reported back yet as to what the dealer has found. I’d definitely take your car to the dealer and have them take a look. You’re within the warranty, they will help you out.

I hope you can figure these issues out and fully enjoy this beautiful machine for what it is.
Thanks so much for the reply! I’m glad that you’ve not had any significant issues with your sport.👍🏼 I’m wondering if those of us experiencing similar maybe had ours manufactured at the same location and within the same time-frame.

I’ve been needing to take it back to the dealership anyway, as there was a stain on the leather trim of the driver’s seat, that I didn’t notice until I got home that first day. Tonight, I was able to take photos of the error codes/illuminated items on the display when it yet again would not start as I was heading out. Unfortunately, it will likely strike again, so I’ll attempt to record it, so that I can show the team at the dealership.

I’m actually hoping these are all operator error/things easily remedied by the dealer making me feel silly when they show me that it was indeed my inexperience with this particular model, causing the issues. 😬

The MPG is definitely concerning, as like I said, I almost exclusively drive in econ mode, and normal when it better suits… there’s only been about three instances where I flipped to sport to have a little fun!

Thanks so much again for sharing!

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Thanks so much for the reply! I’m glad that you’ve not had any significant issues with your sport.👍🏼 I’m wondering if those of us experiencing similar maybe had ours manufactured at the same location and within the same time-frame.

I’ve been needing to take it back to the dealership anyway, as there was a stain on the leather trim of the driver’s seat, that I didn’t notice until I got home that first day. Tonight, I was able to take photos of the error codes/illuminated items on the display when it yet again would not start as I was heading out. Unfortunately, it will likely strike again, so I’ll attempt to record it, so that I can show the team at the dealership.

I’m actually hoping these are all operator error/things easily remedied by the dealer making me feel silly when they show me that it was indeed my inexperience with this particular model, causing the issues. 😬

The MPG is definitely concerning, as like I said, I almost exclusively drive in econ mode, and normal when it better suits… there’s only been about three instances where I flipped to sport to have a little fun!

Thanks so much again for sharing!
@Cantthkofone are you able to find out your build date?

I think anyone experiencing this issue (or any others) should share the date here.
It could help us figure what build date range is likely to go through it.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@Cantthkofone are you able to find out your build date?

I think anyone experiencing this issue (or any others) should share the date here.
It could help us figure what build date range is likely to go through it.
I was actually thinking that we should be checking to see build dates and factory locations. Ugh, this is so frustrating. I paid cash out the door - $27,317.00 so it’s starting to get to me. I’ll be back tomorrow and reply with the stats.

If there is indeed an identifiable issue on their end, it makes me sick to think they’d just remedy the fixes - I’d just prefer a whole new, fully-functioning car and not one that needs to be in and out of the shop.

I’ve bought two Hondas other than this brand new in the past without issue. 01 Accord and 12 Civic lx.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was actually thinking that we should be checking to see build dates and factory locations. Ugh, this is so frustrating. I paid cash out the door - $27,317.00 so it’s starting to get to me. I’ll be back tomorrow and reply with the stats.

If there is indeed an identifiable issue on their end, it makes me sick to think they’d just remedy the fixes - I’d just prefer a whole new, fully-functioning car and not one that needs to be in and out of the shop.

I’ve bought two Hondas other than this brand new in the past without issue. 01 Accord and 12 Civic lx.
To add: my 12 was totaled out so I was in a crunch to get a car ASAP. With how the market is, I unfortunately had to put a deposit down on this one and actually paid cash before it was even off the delivery truck to secure it. I mean, that doesn’t mean this would have been avoided, but it adds an extra layer to my disappointment.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I’d recommend sharing a video so we can see the process and errors. Have you tried holding the key fob close to the start button and seeing if that remedies the start issue?

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I’d recommend sharing a video so we can see the process and errors. Have you tried holding the key fob close to the start button and seeing if that remedies the start issue?
I’ll definitely take a video the next time. The fob has been right near it in the console under the radio 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I did snap that photo one of the last times, but neglected to catch the right side display with errors. Thanks for the reply!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Covering all bases here - the brake pedal is firmly pressed? My auto stop wasn’t working and the error told me the brake wasn’t depressed enough.
Indeed it was. In fact, since it had happened like five times and I was growing frustrated… I was getting to the point to where my butt was lifting off of the seat I was pressing it down and engaging the ignition button very firmly.

Also this last week, the car would beep several times after either locking via fob or from the inside of the door - when walking away it would beat erratically, until I walked back to it and pressed the lock on the fob a few times. I had a couple of other folks comment in a separate posts having experienced that same beeping issue. In all likelihood, that’s something that can be resolved with a simple reprogram. But the beeping issues and the failure to start both were occurring all week this last week.

I saw on a FB forum that someone else experienced this same start up issue. Thankfully it’a ultimately started after relaxing off brake/engine button two or three times - with it finally dropping notices on display and starting. Twice it occurred in my garage and then again at my destination, attempting to startup yo return home.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
183 Posts
OK.... not sure about the starting issue... but in terms of the walk away locking sounding the multiple warning beeps. Do you keep you key fob on a key chain with other items or alone? When you walk away, do you put it in a bag or pocket that might contain other items (specifically metal items)....

My brother in-law and I both had issues with the walk away warning beeps on our 10th gen civics (and I've seen it happen to other hondas out and about). For some reason, the key fob signal is interrupted by certain metal objects (like key chains, other keys, etc). To remedy this, I had to start keeping my keys/key chains separate from my fob, fob stays in my right pocket without any other metal objects and it remedied the issue (same for my brother in law).

·
Registered
642 Posts
Indeed it was. In fact, since it had happened like five times and I was growing frustrated… I was getting to the point to where my butt was lifting off of the seat I was pressing it down and engaging the ignition button very firmly.

Also this last week, the car would beep several times after either locking via fob or from the inside of the door - when walking away it would beat erratically, until I walked back to it and pressed the lock on the fob a few times. I had a couple of other folks comment in a separate posts having experienced that same beeping issue. In all likelihood, that’s something that can be resolved with a simple reprogram. But the beeping issues and the failure to start both were occurring all week this last week.

I saw on a FB forum that someone else experienced this same start up issue. Thankfully it’a ultimately started after relaxing off brake/engine button two or three times - with it finally dropping notices on display and starting. Twice it occurred in my garage and then again at my destination, attempting to startup yo return home.
If this has happened multiple times I'd book an appointment with my dealer asap. Not sure about the key fob issue with the locking. It could be interference. You might also want to turn it on and off in the settings and see if that does anything.

·
Registered
15 Posts
You‘re not pressing the brake and the start button at the same time, are you? Only after the brake is firmly engaged, should you keep it pressed down and then push the start button while the brake is still fully engaged. Should work every single time that way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah press and hold the brake. Then press and release the push to start button, you don’t need to hold the start button.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Is your anti-lock out feature turned on or off? The multiple beeps is the sound the car makes when a key fob is inside the trunk or glovebox.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The car also has a feature where you're alerted with multiple beeping when getting out of the car while its in park and idling, and walk away a few feet with key fob in hand. Just another purposeful safety alert.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have the touring and haven’t had any of these issues fortunately. That said, everything for mine hasn’t been perfect either. I have noticed that occasionally if I start the car up after getting gas or only leaving for a short time with CarPlay reconnecting to my iPhone automatically, the whole infotainment system will become super slow and jittery for at least a few minutes or so until it finally catches up. Almost the same thing happened when I was using the built-in navigation and resumed after stopping at a small store in the middle of a trip. I have also lost the gps signal on the navigation a few times randomly. Just my two cents.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I have the touring and haven’t had any of these issues fortunately. That said, everything for mine hasn’t been perfect either. I have noticed that occasionally if I start the car up after getting gas or only leaving for a short time with CarPlay reconnecting to my iPhone automatically, the whole infotainment system will become super slow and jittery for at least a few minutes or so until it finally catches up. Almost the same thing happened when I was using the built-in navigation and resumed after stopping at a small store in the middle of a trip. I have also lost the gps signal on the navigation a few times randomly. Just my two cents.
That's consistent with my experience on the infotainment system too. I don't think it's an issue, just an inconvenience. Like shutting down a computer instead of putting it to sleep.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts