11th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

Registered
'22 Civic Si (Orange)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yeah, I figured out the MTF part. 馃槅. But I've never heard of Amsoil being better. shrug All I knew was "Use Honda certified, otherwise you're gonna need a new tranny". Lol. And I've never questioned it.
Oh yeah it is use at own risk, not warranty approved. I have used it many years on various Hondas an it works well. It is very much like the viscosity of the original Honda MTF type 1 developed many years back, then Honda MTF type 2 was developed which was a much thinner fluid. There are a number of synchromesh fluids made and they all work well and pretty similar - GM synchromesh, Pennzoil, Quaker state, they all make a version of it.

Registered
2022 Si
I've had my Si for 3 weeks or so. The weather here has been pretty cold lately. I sometimes find engaging 2nd gear isn't as smooth as the other gears. I'm still trying to figure out if it is my shifting habits, or the car causing it. Sometimes I think my hand may shifts faster than my foot activates the clutch, so I may have to work on the timing a bit better ( I've only been driving manuals for 38 years lol).

I know these high performance trannies tend to shift better at higher rpms compared to lower rpms, and quite often the less-than-smooth shifts happen when shifting at lower rpms - granny shifting. I've seen this on other Hondas I've owned, it isn't a real problem on my Si, sometimes it just doesn't feel totally smooth. Cold weather early morning shifting can be part of it, and I tend to baby it on the first shifts of the day. I'm sure in the dead of summer it would be better. I will eventually be using Amsoil MTF in this car as I've had good experiences with it in other Hondas.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this ? Overall the tranny feels great and nearly perfect other than this one tiny thing I notice once and a while. Thanks for reading and any replies.
Ive had this issue since I鈥檝e day one. I鈥檝e got a test drive setup with a tech to see if it鈥檚 normalir not. But you know how that goes鈥

Furthermore, first to second is always a shit shift, it either doesn鈥檛 want to go into gear (first 5kms of driving from a cold start).

Also, putting in reverse I have to force it and it feels like it鈥檚 hitting a bunch of things before going into gear.

Second gear sometimes feels like I鈥檓 鈥榗runching into gear鈥 like it feels forced and not smooth.

I鈥檓 disappointed as I bought this car because of the transmission:-(

current mileage 3300kms

Registered
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
ive had this issue since I鈥檝e day one. I鈥檝e got a test drive setup with a tech to see if it鈥檚 normalir not. But you know how that goes鈥

Furthermore, mfirst to second is always a shit shift, it either doesn鈥檛 want to go into gear (first 5k Ian of driving from a cold start).

Also, putting in reverse I have to force it and it feels like it鈥檚 hitting a bunch of things before going into gear.

Second gear sometimes feels like I鈥檓 鈥榗runching into gear鈥 like it feels forced and not smooth.

I鈥檓 disappointed as I bought this car because of the transmission:-(

current mileage 3300kms
Yeah mine was somewhat like you describe, mine always went into gear , but it just felt crunchy, it was always the first shifts of the day in cold temps that were worse. The Amsoil fluid is a big improvement for me. With the factory fluid the shift was stiff but not precise, with Amsoil fluid it is still a bit stiff but perfectly precise, and when fully warmed it is perfect. I will never go back to the Honda fluid.

I want to check the clutch rod freeplay this weekend as that was an issue when I owned my S2000, adjusting the clutch rod freeplay can help with shifting if the freeplay is large.

Good luck with any dealer inspection, I know that can be hit or miss.

Registered
2022 Si
Yeah mine was somewhat like you describe, mine always went into gear , but it just felt crunchy, it was always the first shifts of the day in cold temps that were worse. The Amsoil fluid is a big improvement for me. With the factory fluid the shift was stiff but not precise, with Amsoil fluid it is still a bit stiff but perfectly precise, and when fully warmed it is perfect. I will never go back to the Honda fluid.

I want to check the clutch rod freeplay this weekend as that was an issue when I owned my S2000, adjusting the clutch rod freeplay can help with shifting if the freeplay is large.

Good luck with any dealer inspection, I know that can be hit or miss.
Thank you fellow Countryman! This is my first Honda so idk how the dealer network is like. Guy on the phone sounded like an asshat but that鈥檚 how it alway goes.

I can circumvent the dealer and try the Amsoil first but then I鈥檒l Be SOL if it doesn鈥檛 fix the issue.

Can you elaborate what it feels like now Vs before, like how much of a difference in shift action being smoother over?

Mine is rough to the point where my personal tech told me to take it to HONDA when we did my RMM

Registered
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Thank you fellow Countryman! This is my first Honda so idk how the dealer network is like. Guy on the phone sounded like an asshat but that鈥檚 how it alway goes.

I can circumvent the dealer and try the Amsoil first but then I鈥檒l Be SOL if it doesn鈥檛 fix the issue.

Can you elaborate what it feels like now Vs before, like how much of a difference in shift action being smoother over?

Mine is rough to the point where my personal tech told me to take it to HONDA when we did my RMM
Yeah I understand not changing the fluid ahead of any warranty request. Honda 2nd gear shifting seems to be common among many models, and it is always worse in cold weather conditions. The Civic Type R has been known to have 2nd gear issues. It is odd because Honda MTF2 is very thin, the Amsoil fluid is thicker but works better in cold temps oddly enough.

The best way for me to describe the difference is that it now feels more precise compared to before, less crunchy, so it just shifts more smoothly in cold and hot temps. I will take some responsibility for bad shifts when my hand moves quicker than my foot, where I basically start moving the shifter before my foot fully disengages the clutch, but I know when that happens and I don't blame the car for that. I have never grinded a gear on this car, but it just feels crunchy or imprecise at times, and it is always 2nd gear.

Reverse gear is always hit or miss because they don't have synchronizers on reverse gear. The best way to engage reverse is to push in the clutch, pull it out of the forward gear and into neutral, then release the clutch , then push in the clutch and engage reverse. Almost all Hondas respond best to that process of getting it into reverse.

Definitely have Honda check it for you , hopefully they find something that they can fix or replace. Keep us posted.

Registered
Yeah I understand not changing the fluid ahead of any warranty request. Honda 2nd gear shifting seems to be common among many models, and it is always worse in cold weather conditions. The Civic Type R has been known to have 2nd gear issues. It is odd because Honda MTF2 is very thin, the Amsoil fluid is thicker but works better in cold temps oddly enough.

The best way for me to describe the difference is that it now feels more precise compared to before, less crunchy, so it just shifts more smoothly in cold and hot temps. I will take some responsibility for bad shifts when my hand moves quicker than my foot, where I basically start moving the shifter before my foot fully disengages the clutch, but I know when that happens and I don't blame the car for that. I have never grinded a gear on this car, but it just feels crunchy or imprecise at times, and it is always 2nd gear.

Reverse gear is always hit or miss because they don't have synchronizers on reverse gear. The best way to engage reverse is to push in the clutch, pull it out of the forward gear and into neutral, then release the clutch , then push in the clutch and engage reverse. Almost all Hondas respond best to that process of getting it into reverse.

Definitely have Honda check it for you , hopefully they find something that they can fix or replace. Keep us posted.
I recently switched to Amzoil MTF on my '22 Si and it was a night and day difference. I described feeling more like a "notchy" feel when shifting (particularly 1-2 upshifts) in cold or cool weather. All upshifts and downshifts are smoother, but retain the mechanical feel I love about the transmission. I've used Motul MTF before in other Hondas/Acuras but the Amzoil is better. The Amzoil just makes for a better overall shifting experience.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
I recently switched to Amzoil MTF on my '22 Si and it was a night and day difference. I described feeling more like a "notchy" feel when shifting (particularly 1-2 upshifts) in cold or cool weather. All upshifts and downshifts are smoother, but retain the mechanical feel I love about the transmission. I've used Motul MTF before in other Hondas/Acuras but the Amzoil is better. The Amzoil just makes for a better overall shifting experience.
My findings exactly, exact same experience for me. Glad it helped yours too.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Does switching to amsoil mtf void any warranties? Or will I have to switch back to Honda mtf if I suspect issues in the future?
Don't ask the dealer the answer will always be the same. You would not be able to tell the difference by looking at the two fluids. IF you ever have an issue with the tranny the dealer will recommend changing the fluid as a first attempt to fix the issue, so let them do that, then if that doesn't help they can give you some warranty relief.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts