11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've had my Si for 3 weeks or so. The weather here has been pretty cold lately. I sometimes find engaging 2nd gear isn't as smooth as the other gears. I'm still trying to figure out if it is my shifting habits, or the car causing it. Sometimes I think my hand may shifts faster than my foot activates the clutch, so I may have to work on the timing a bit better ( I've only been driving manuals for 38 years lol).

I know these high performance trannies tend to shift better at higher rpms compared to lower rpms, and quite often the less-than-smooth shifts happen when shifting at lower rpms - granny shifting. I've seen this on other Hondas I've owned, it isn't a real problem on my Si, sometimes it just doesn't feel totally smooth. Cold weather early morning shifting can be part of it, and I tend to baby it on the first shifts of the day. I'm sure in the dead of summer it would be better. I will eventually be using Amsoil MTF in this car as I've had good experiences with it in other Hondas.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this ? Overall the tranny feels great and nearly perfect other than this one tiny thing I notice once and a while. Thanks for reading and any replies.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Non SI, but mine is really smooth.

I wonder if your rev hang issue contributes to the shifting not being smooth between 1-2? I don't seem to have any rev hang but I'm also on a 2.0 NA.

The only thing I've experienced with the transmission that is irksome is how small the gate is between 4-5-6. On several instances I've accidentally shifted down from 5-4 when I meant to shift up from 5-6, because if you don't actively push the shifter to the right as you are dropping it down into 6 it can catch the gate and deviate left that 0.000000002 mm and go into 4 instead. That's a "me" problem though.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Non SI, but mine is really smooth.

I wonder if your rev hang issue contributes to the shifting not being smooth between 1-2? I don't seem to have any rev hang but I'm also on a 2.0 NA.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah the rev hang could be making it worse. Good to hear yours is totally smooth and you are in cold weather territory too. I've got to get more miles on mine and break this in a bit more.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've had my Si for 3 weeks or so. The weather here has been pretty cold lately. I sometimes find engaging 2nd gear isn't as smooth as the other gears. I'm still trying to figure out if it is my shifting habits, or the car causing it. Sometimes I think my hand may shifts faster than my foot activates the clutch, so I may have to work on the timing a bit better ( I've only been driving manuals for 38 years lol).

I know these high performance trannies tend to shift better at higher rpms compared to lower rpms, and quite often the less-than-smooth shifts happen when shifting at lower rpms - granny shifting. I've seen this on other Hondas I've owned, it isn't a real problem on my Si, sometimes it just doesn't feel totally smooth. Cold weather early morning shifting can be part of it, and I tend to baby it on the first shifts of the day. I'm sure in the dead of summer it would be better. I will eventually be using Amsoil MTF in this car as I've had good experiences with it in other Hondas.

I'm curious to know if others have experienced this ? Overall the tranny feels great and nearly perfect other than this one tiny thing I notice once and a while. Thanks for reading and any replies.
In cold weather, the engagement of 2nd and sometimes 3rd is a bit notchy. After a thorough warm-up the transmission is noticably smoother. My 1st to 2nd shift is deliberate and slow until the car warms up. Higher rpm upshifts are pretty smooth. This is with the 250hp/250trq Hondata tune.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
In cold weather, the engagement of 2nd and sometimes 3rd is a bit notchy. After a thorough warm-up the transmission is noticably smoother. My 1st to 2nd shift is deliberate and slow until the car warms up. Higher rpm upshifts are pretty smooth. This is with the 250hp/250trq Hondata tune.
Thanks for the reply on this, yes I would say my findings are similar, and it is very cold here right now. I have had other Hondas that behaved like this in the past like my S2000.

You have 250 hp and 250 torque, wow that is fantastic. That must be a fun ride. Thank you for the reply.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the reply on this, yes I would say my findings are similar, and it is very cold here right now. I have had other Hondas that behaved like this in the past like my S2000.

You have 250 hp and 250 torque, wow that is fantastic. That must be a fun ride. Thank you for the reply.
The Hondata tune REALLY wakes the car up and still retains the easy drivability of the stock tune. I have the CARB legal tune so the dreaded rev hang is still present but I'm learning to live with it. I highly recommend it.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The Hondata tune REALLY wakes the car up and still retains the easy drivability of the stock tune. I have the CARB legal tune so the dreaded rev hang is still present but I'm learning to live with it. I highly recommend it.
Sorry I am a bit behind on my Hondata tuning data. Is this the one getting 222 whp (at the wheels) or is it 250 at the wheels on the dyno ? I've seen some videos by Hondata recently but I wasn't aware they were selling it already for the Si model.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Sorry I am a bit behind on my Hondata tuning data. Is this the one getting 222 whp (at the wheels) or is it 250 at the wheels on the dyno ? I've seen some videos by Hondata recently but I wasn't aware they were selling it already for the Si model.
I think it's only available for the US market at the moment. More info on their website. Edit: I suspect it's flywheel HP and TRQ. The Hondata guys say that the stock clutch started slipping at 270 ft-lbs. Hondata offers 240 trq and 250 trq tunes.
Slope Font Line Parallel Pattern

·
Registered
94 Posts
I'm not a civic owner - but I have had several Honda's/Acura's with Manual Transmissions. I always found the shifting is smoother (especially in winter) on Amsoil Manual Transmission oil. I learned this when I first got my license. My brother and father had the same cars, and it was -5 F where I live (January 1985). My brother had been living in Iowa, so his car was all Amsoil because they have real winters there. I had never seen it below 0 before. I had to move the cars to get mine out. Started up my dad's car, and it wouldn't easily go into gear (regular manual transmission fluid) until it was fully warmed up. My brothers snicked right into gear on startup like it was 80 F outside (amsoil). Both hadn't been started since the prior night. Of course, it doesn't have to be -5 F outside to notice the difference. I'm not even sure if Amsoil makes Manual Transmission oil for Honda's anymore, but if they did, it would be the first thing I would change out.

·
Registered
'22 Civic Si (Orange)
132 Posts

I know it's not really the point of the tune, but how is your MPG before vs. after the tune?? I'm planning on getting the tune at some point, and I was just curious how much it tanks the MPG.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
505 Posts
I know it's not really the point of the tune, but how is your MPG before vs. after the tune?? I'm planning on getting the tune at some point, and I was just curious how much it tanks the MPG.
The Hondata +6 CARB tune has not affected my fuel economy at all, other than requiring 91 Octane to make use of it (which affects the economy of money, not fuel). I just get noticeably more torque and power when merging or passing.

Now, if I did that aggressively ALL THE TIME where I didn't used to, just to feel the rush, then yeah, I guess that would affect things; but I'm still driving normally, just with better acceleration from time to time, LOL.

·
Registered
'22 Civic Si (Orange)
132 Posts
The Hondata +6 CARB tune has not affected my fuel economy at all, other than requiring 91 Octane to make use of it (which affects the economy of money, not fuel). I just get noticeably more torque and power when merging or passing.

Now, if I did that aggressively ALL THE TIME where I didn't used to, just to feel the rush, then yeah, I guess that would affect things; but I'm still driving normally, just with better acceleration from time to time, LOL.
I always run 91 anyway in my '15 Si, so thats not a big deal, money wise. I'm kinda used to it by now. But that's good that it doesn't seem to effect the MPG. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Will read thru later, but hoping this is not same FK8 2nd gear crunch
No it is definitely not the CTR 2nd gear crunch issue, I chock it up to cold weather and my lazy low rpm shifts as I drive slow for the first few minutes in cold winter temps.

I am going to use Amsoil MTF though at some point.

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm not a civic owner - but I have had several Honda's/Acura's with Manual Transmissions. I always found the shifting is smoother (especially in winter) on Amsoil Manual Transmission oil. I learned this when I first got my license. My brother and father had the same cars, and it was -5 F where I live (January 1985). My brother had been living in Iowa, so his car was all Amsoil because they have real winters there. I had never seen it below 0 before. I had to move the cars to get mine out. Started up my dad's car, and it wouldn't easily go into gear (regular manual transmission fluid) until it was fully warmed up. My brothers snicked right into gear on startup like it was 80 F outside (amsoil). Both hadn't been started since the prior night. Of course, it doesn't have to be -5 F outside to notice the difference. I'm not even sure if Amsoil makes Manual Transmission oil for Honda's anymore, but if they did, it would be the first thing I would change out.
Yes they still make an MTF fluid , and I hope to use it soon, that way I can also drain the break in wear metals from the tranny. I used that fluid on my S2000 and I was amazed how well it worked in frigid temps, it is a thicker fluid but flows great being full synthetic. I can't wait to try it out.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts