11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you guys think about these interior lights I installed in the Civic today? I wanted to extend them into the center console but I wasn’t able to properly secure the wires so I ditched that plan for now. I took pictures in the evening and at night so show brightness. Let me get your feedback and any other ideas you may have!

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ah c'mon man! You can't post something cool like this and NOT explain how you did it! Lol
I am glad you like it haha
I will post a video on it tomorrow morning how I did it, if you would like. It would be hard to describe without giving visual context. I will post the lights I used from Amazon. I got the 30 feet of cable because I wanted to have extra to play around with but you may be able to get away with the 15 feet if you do something similar to me. Rating were not the greatest, but I think it turned out really well so I am pretty happy!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
124 Posts
I love how it looks at night. It's actually a very cool look honda should consider offering an ambient lighting package like this. My only minor gripe might be seeing them during the daytime the lines don't look quite as straight and crisp, but thats more just my OCD for such things. Great job!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Looks good but it just increases distraction and decreases your night vision. When I do not need it I would even turn NAVI screen off. But everybody is different. I guess you can even install disco ball and blast that Bose at 100% during your ride...

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I love how it looks at night. It's actually a very cool look honda should consider offering an ambient lighting package like this. My only minor gripe might be seeing them during the daytime the lines don't look quite as straight and crisp, but thats more just my OCD for such things. Great job!
Here’s a picture of it during the daylight so you can compare. I don’t think it’s too bad and for the people I’ve shown they don’t even know I added it until I point it out. Anyone that owns one though, would notice it right away haha

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looks good but it just increases distraction and decreases your night vision. When I do not need it I would even turn NAVI screen off. But everybody is different. I guess you can even install disco ball and blast that Bose at 100% during your ride...
It’s much dimmer than the infotainment and given the amount of safety features on the vehicle, I think I’m good haha

·
Registered
124 Posts
Here’s a picture of it during the daylight so you can compare. I don’t think it’s too bad and for the people I’ve shown they don’t even know I added it until I point it out. Anyone that owns one though, would notice it right away haha
I think it's just the corners for me. Definitely not saying you did a bad job or that it looks bad... it looks awesome. As you said, it's barely noticeable especially on the straight line bits, the only place it's really noticeable is on the corners, and that might just be the materials flex limit causing that.

I really like the night shots. It really gives the dash a kind of future-retro vibe.

Is it possible to change the color? Or is it just a single color? I think it'd be awesome if you could change the colors for mood.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It’s one color unfortunately. I wish you could but I bet that would add thickness and make it more obvious. Yah the material does not allow sharper angles than what I have unfortunately! I tried my best to get it as close as possible. Good thing is I can try it out for a week or so and if it bothers me too much then I’ll just take it out and return the kit! Just wanted to give it a trail run and show everyone my results!

·
Registered
124 Posts
It’s one color unfortunately. I wish you could but I bet that would add thickness and make it more obvious. Yah the material does not allow sharper angles than what I have unfortunately! I tried my best to get it as close as possible. Good thing is I can try it out for a week or so and if it bothers me too much then I’ll just take it out and return the kit! Just wanted to give it a trail run and show everyone my results!
Not sure what the material is made of... but... if you were to decide to maybe get those corners a bit sharper at some point, you might try some heat... like a hair dryer. That'll loosen up the plastic and make it easier to bend and crease into those corners.

Like I said, it looks awesome as is, I'm just being nitpicky. I definitely like it overall.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not sure what the material is made of... but... if you were to decide to maybe get those corners a bit sharper at some point, you might try some heat... like a hair dryer. That'll loosen up the plastic and make it easier to bend and crease into those corners.

Like I said, it looks awesome as is, I'm just being nitpicky. I definitely like it overall.
Hair dryer is an excellent idea, smart thinking. Let me give that a try!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Hair dryer is an excellent idea, smart thinking. Let me give that a try!
Only word of advice is don't hold the heat TOO long. I don't think a hair dryer would damage the LEDs inside... but I don't want you to ruin your lights either. Play around with it and just use the minimum amount of heat to get the plastic to loosen up so it bends better. Good luck!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Only word of advice is don't hold the heat TOO long. I don't think a hair dryer would damage the LEDs inside... but I don't want you to ruin your lights either. Play around with it and just use the minimum amount of heat to get the plastic to loosen up so it bends better. Good luck!
Yah I went minimal with it, I think it looks a tad bit better so I’ll just leave it like this for now. You think it looks any better?

Attachments

·
Registered
511 Posts
What do you guys think about these interior lights I installed in the Civic today? I wanted to extend them into the center console but I wasn’t able to properly secure the wires so I ditched that plan for now. I took pictures in the evening and at night so show brightness. Let me get your feedback and any other ideas you may have!
It looks really good @Jolly95 you did a great job! The brightness is just right where it stands out but doesn't blind you either. What made you decide to do this project? Have you done this with other cars you've owned?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It looks really good @Jolly95 you did a great job! The brightness is just right where it stands out but doesn't blind you either. What made you decide to do this project? Have you done this with other cars you've owned?
I did something similar with my motorcycle actually! I’m a huge lighting guy so when lights didn’t come standard I looked around to see where I could install some and thought it would be cool to highlight the vents! I think the vents are when make this car unique and really cool so why not? Didn’t know it was going to turn out as well as it did but I’m very pleased!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts