11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I'm at the dealership to get a black Sport but I'm sooooo worried about scratches and them being extra noticeable because it's black vs the meteorite grey option. How do I deal with this? Mentally and physically? I'm very OCD. I'm tempted to go with the meteorite greh because I'm worrying that much. Should I just go with the black and tell myself in the grand scheme of life a few scratches don't matter that much?

·
Registered
809 Posts
@Ajames if you are willing to spend the money and time, you will want to get some sort of paint protection done by a professional right after taking delivery. Then follow that up with regular appointments with a detailer. You can even do some or all of this on you own but it's best left to the pros.

Then in between all of that you'll need to a good wash method. You can cheat with touchless car washes...but I hear the chemicals are too harsh.

·
Registered
35 Posts
@Ajames if you are willing to spend the money and time, you will want to get some sort of paint protection done by a professional right after taking delivery. Then follow that up with regular appointments with a detailer. You can even do some or all of this on you own but it's best left to the pros.

Then in between all of that you'll need to a good wash method. You can cheat with touchless car washes...but I hear the chemicals are too harsh.

Not sure what chemicals at a car wash would be too harsh for a clearcoat? Removing swirls is easily done with a little elbow grease or rotary buffer. Learning the proper way to use one is not difficult.

·
Registered
101 Posts
No matter what color you chose, in a few months minor scratches might appear. You can spend half of your life buffing them and only way to avoid them is to park your car in your living room and wrap it in plastic.
Black might be 'cool' but I would never chose it. Silver is the best for hiding dirt, dust, scratches. Neighbor has new Prius in dark grayish color (I call it 'dead rat' color) and already has thin long (~25cm) scratch on the door. It is visible all right as below every paint is white primer or whatever you call it. If you have silver paint it is not that visible, if at all.

·
Registered
55 Posts
No matter what color you chose, in a few months minor scratches might appear. You can spend half of your life buffing them and only way to avoid them is to park your car in your living room and wrap it in plastic.
Black might be 'cool' but I would never chose it. Silver is the best for hiding dirt, dust, scratches. Neighbor has new Prius in dark grayish color (I call it 'dead rat' color) and already has thin long (~25cm) scratch on the door. It is visible all right as below every paint is white primer or whatever you call it. If you have silver paint it is not that visible, if at all.
People say silver is boring but in addition to looking clean it really shows off the lines of the car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for your help. I went with the black! My amazing salesman actually took me back to the detail area and I pointed out a few things and they took care of it. Seeing how easy it was put my mind at ease a bit. I still worry but it looks good! My salesman kept mentioning to step back and look at it from 5 feet away and not with my face practical touching it. That's stuck in my head now so we'll see how it goes.

I don't know if this is allowed but if you're near the Houston, TX area I highly recommend Zane Pruett at John Eagle Honda. Not pushy and so very very patient.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Thank you for your help. I went with the black! My amazing salesman actually took me back to the detail area and I pointed out a few things and they took care of it. Seeing how easy it was put my mind at ease a bit. I still worry but it looks good! My salesman kept mentioning to step back and look at it from 5 feet away and not with my face practical touching it. That's stuck in my head now so we'll see how it goes.

I don't know if this is allowed but if you're near the Houston, TX area I highly recommend Zane Pruett at John Eagle Honda. Not pushy and so very very patient. View attachment 2443
Congrats @Ajames.

Add your Civic to The 2022+ 11th Gen Civic Owners Registry :)

The new Civic looks excellent in black and I think you made an excellent choice! I suggest reading and watching content from professional automotive detailers to better understand how to keep your car looking like new. Ammo NYC is among the best of them:

·
Registered
511 Posts

I don't know if this is allowed but if you're near the Houston, TX area I highly recommend Zane Pruett at John Eagle Honda. Not pushy and so very very patient. View attachment 2443
Thats great that your dealer was able to touch up some areas before taking it off the lot. Congrats @Ajames! How are you enjoying your Sport so far?

·
Registered
19 Posts
That looks amazing in all Black! Nice choice on the sport trim. I once owned a black car and was worried about scratches and keeping it clean so I know how you feel lol One thing that helped me keep it looking nice was to never dry it with a microfiber or regular cloth. I used this squeegee thing called a California water blade. But I only used it if I had hand washed my car and didn't have any dirty water or spots I missed. That kept it from getting water spots & from creating swirls in the paint. But honestly its going to get scratches and rock chips eventually. Most people wont notice little stuff like that unless you point it out to them.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts