11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am accustomed to cars that recommend oil changes based on time or mileage. For example, every 4 months or 4,000 miles, whichever comes first. I just got my 22 Civic today and I see that it has a maintenance reminder function on the dash, which purports to advise when to get an oil change. For those of you who are more knowledgeable than I am (which I suspect is nearly all of you -- I am not much of a car guy), do you recommend relying on this maintenance reminder to tell me when to get an oil change, or just doing it every X months or X thousand miles, regardless of what his maintenance reminder thing says?

Also,,is there any normal service I would need on the new car before the first oil change?

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
I will not go off of the maintenance reminder. I am a 5000 miles oil change guy. IMO 6-10 thousand miles between oil changes is just to far.

Honda has an A or B service with oil changes according to your car as well. Most of the time it’s just a visual inspection on various parts but sometimes it could be coolant flush, brake fluid change, air filter or cabin filter change as well as oil.

I don’t think the is a C service but I could be wrong.

You will get a variety of opinions on this topic.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Check your oil often. It being too dark and/or low indicates it needs either a top off or change. Never hurts to change it more often to at least get that hard working oil filter swapped out for a fresh one. Twice a year sounds right.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Had a 2008 honda element with the maintenance minder and always followed it. It usually got to 15% oil life around 5000-5500 miles. Had the car 11 years, never a problem. So I'm going to use the maintenance minder on my new civic sport and see what interval it gets.

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
I have around 2300 miles and it’s down to 70%. My driving habits will not change so if I let it go down to or close to 0% I will have around 7000 miles or a little more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Do any of you have experience with free oil change programs provided by the dealership? I was offered one as part of negotiating and while I know it'll differ per dealership, I wonder if they'll only honor it if the dashboard says I need to replace the oil.

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
Do any of you have experience with free oil change programs provided by the dealership? I was offered one as part of negotiating and while I know it'll differ per dealership, I wonder if they'll only honor it if the dashboard says I need to replace the oil.
Yeah that’s part of my issue. I get 2 free ones but they do go off of the car. I probably will not do them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts