11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've waited nearly a year to get my hands on an 11th gen Civic since the prototype was unveiled in November last year.

Now it's finally launched here in Kingston, Jamaica but not even physically here yet. The dealership that sells Hondas here are only taking pre-orders at the moment. I requested a quotation in August and was told the lower of the two trims being offered is a 1.5 turbo fabric trim costing Ja$5.8 mil (US$37,300). Pricey but it is what it is. Now I check back with them and they're saying that trim will cost Ja$6.5 mil (US$42,000).

What are your thoughts on this? At that price point (which is outta my budget anyway), I should be buying a luxury car, not a family commuter. What say you?

·
Registered
101 Posts
The 10th gen sold for J$5.1m (US$32,800) for the VTI (base trim) and J$5.8m (US$37,300) for the VTI-S trim.
Ok…. That sort of makes sense then.
However the dealer is marking up the new Jenna tad extra. $5000 is a big leap…. I should say $39,000 should be fair?
Can you ask other dealers?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok…. That sort of makes sense then.
However the dealer is marking up the new Jenna tad extra. $5000 is a big leap…. I should say $39,000 should be fair?
Can you ask other dealers?
We have only one Honda dealer in Jamaica. It's that monopoly why they're doing what they're doing with the mark-ups.

The only other option is to buy a used one in a year or two but that would be coming from the US. Our cars have the steering wheel on the right. So if I bought a US version, I'd be sitting on the wrong side to drive it cos I'd be driving a left hand drive on the left side of the road.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I feel your pain brotha
Try to work with the dealership and see if they can sell you the car for a better price. Might be hard though.
I get what you're saying but this dealership never drops prices on their cars. They're still selling the 10th gen now for what they sold it for when they launched it here in September 2016.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you HAVE to buy this car this/next year?
Paint is bad, adaptive cruise is buggy as hell, who knows what else is screwed up...
Sadly, I need a car right now as my current ride has had transmission issues lately. Been trying to hold out but the longer I do, the worse it's getting for me. If I'm gonna wait it out, I'm gonna have to buy something else then upgrade in 2/3 years. However, for that money, it would feel a bad decision not to get something premium instead.

·
Registered
19 Posts
that really sucks especially as it's the only dealer you have out there. They're doing crazy dealer adjustments here in the US also so I'm sure those costs are exponential to you as that have to ship it to your country and then only one option to buy it.

As for your question, it ultimately boils down to what you are comfortable with because negotiation right now is extremely difficult with limited supply. You don't have the option of going to another dealer to put pressure on them.

I admit I overpaid for my car but luckily I'm in a financial situation where I can say yes to most things I want; $43k cash out the door for the Sport Touring hatchback in manual. But hey, I tell myself it was cheaper than waiting for my Tesla Model Y order and saved myself around $20k :LOL: so "too much" is relative to your comfort zone.

I would just say from a financial perspective, if you don't have the cash or if you need to finance it more than 4-5 years, you can't afford it and just find a different car for less price. Don't let ego get in the way and find a solution that can get you from point A-Z. Most people buy things to impress people they don't even like and that's how they stay where they are; broke and angry at life.

As the saying goes, the product is worth what the buyer is willing to pay. Good luck!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts