11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After months of really getting adapted to driving manual (this is my first manual car), I have come to very much love my Si. Sometimes it can be the biggest pain in the a**, as I live on a VERY LARGE college campus, meaning stop-go-stop-go all day long some days.
My question is, where do you find the smoothest shifts, ESPECIALLY for 1st to 2nd. This shift took me a bit of practice to really get down in this car. I find I start to shift to second at 3k rpm’s, let it come down to about 2200rpms and ease the clutch in over about 1-1.5 seconds. Is that how you guys have been doing it, or is that too much clutch wear?
Where have you found the sweet spots for you shifts on the new Si?
I may sound crazy but I get hard on myself sometimes, especially when I have a rough shift so I’m just trying to get better everyday!
Thanks!
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle

·
Registered
13 Posts
1 - 2 @ around 2700-3000 RPM and let the clutch out smoothly. 1.5s seems unnecessary, I usually do it in 1 second or less. You just need to be smooth around the bite point (which is pretty hard to judge in 11th gen civics)

All other gears @ 2000 rpm seems to be fine.

If you want to better understand where the bite point is, whenever you cold start the engine keep the car in neutral and just slowly press the clutch..you can hear and see the rpm drop very slightly around the bite point because the layshaft starts spinning when the clutch disc is engaged.

·
Registered
196 Posts
1-2 is by far the hardest.

In our Gen 9 I just forego using first gear a lot of the time. If level or downhill at all it can be done, just pull right off in second gear. Not sure how well a Gen 11 can pull off in second gear with a lot less displacement and a turbo. Wish I had tested that when I test drove an Integra.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1-2 is by far the hardest.

In our Gen 9 I just forego using first gear a lot of the time. If level or downhill at all it can be done, just pull right off in second gear. Not sure how well a Gen 11 can pull off in second gear with a lot less displacement and a turbo. Wish I had tested that when I test drove an Integra.
I skip first in my Sport touring hatch all the time. If theres any incline though, not recommended, but as long as your experienced enough to play around in the clutch engagement range instead of only being able to let out, its absolutely possible to do without causing any extra clutch wear. Just finicky since theres almost 0 low end torque with the poor little 1.5

·
Registered
57 Posts
1st - 2nd is the hardest to get it smoothly, especially when you are driving in the city and want to accelerate fast at traffic lights , stop signs , in traffic etc
I'm not saying launch super fast but fast like we drive automatic normally.

Camp ( stop and go ) is a good spot to build up the muscle memories since there is no one try to push you ( ofc there are still some idiots would do )
Here is what I did , shift to 2nd gear between 2.7 - 3k rpm then slowly release the clutch, after completely release the clutch then push gas pedal. This helped me to remember the timing.
After I get used to it , then I start to give some gas while I release the clutch before the blind point.

I used to have bad habit that once in 1st gear my leg away from clutch and hand away from shifter , that makes me up shift to 2nd way too slow.
Not sure if you had the same habit but I'm just saying it did slow me down.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I skip first in my Sport touring hatch all the time. If theres any incline though, not recommended, but as long as your experienced enough to play around in the clutch engagement range instead of only being able to let out, its absolutely possible to do without causing any extra clutch wear. Just finicky since theres almost 0 low end torque with the poor little 1.5
Yup, I quickly have found myself skipping 1st all the time. It’s habit now that if I’m rolling for anything over 4ish MPH in neutral is always best to go straight to second with just a bit more revs.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I’m glad to hear you all agree on the 1-2nd shift. Id say Im quite good at it now but that certainly is the hardest shift. It’s all about letting those revs fall and slow clutch!

·
Registered
140 Posts
11th gen Si was my first manual as well, and took me a while to get comfortable with the 1-2 shift. It’s finicky, especially due to the clutch being so light, but it can be done. I usually just give it a tiny bit of gas right as the clutch pedal is being fully released, which smooths it out. I haven’t tried skipping gears but I may have to. What I recommend is, if you use first gear, to shift out of first and into second as soon as you get moving. Technically I don’t skip first, but I barely use it, and only just to get the car rolling.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drive with the rev match always on. It makes it stupid easy to shift perfectly each time. Wait for the speed to drop and stabilize and you can just dump the clutch. I drove without it for a week to learn how the car is without it but with it on and commutting 70 miles a day through traffic it is nice to have. I have a 2nd car that is also manual (no Rev match) so don't judge lol.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Don't feel bad, thanks to the lightweight flywheel the Si is actually a bit tricky to drive smoothly. I have been driving manuals since I learned to drive 20 years ago, but I had to adjust a bit for the Si.

For the 1-2 shift, just before you clutch in, I have found you need to let off the throttle just a bit more slowly or gently than you might in other cars. I'm used to being able to just let off the throttle as fast as I want at the same time as I put in the clutch, but the Si doesn't really like that. However, you definitely don't need to be taking 1 second to shift. Just practice your throttle and clutch finesse and you'll be able to shift quickly and smoothly.

Oh, and like others said, I only use start off in first if I'm at a complete stop, or maybe if I'm going really slowly up a hill.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Ditto alhounos, I have also driven manuals for many years and the '22 Si is exceptional (finiky) due to the low torque on the 1.5L and the light fly wheel. I'd also like to second others who encourage you not to worry too much about the clutch. The more you baby it (feathering into the bite) the more you burn. The Si is a 'sporty' car meaning it's expecting to be a bit lurchy, and it expects to 'live' at higher RPMs. I run mine accordingly; I spent a couple months muscle learning the ratios. Now I use 1st as little as possible (to get out of the inertial hole) but after 4 or 5 mph, it 2nd and up. Sadly the 1.5L does struggle from a stand still, unlike my 1.9L '12 Si which I often launched from 2nd.

Don't worry so much about the clutch, learn the sweet spots and have some fun in the higher RPMs where this car sings, and you can usually 'pop' the clutch with a peppy little forward lunge.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
108 Posts
For 1 to 2 shifts I pause in the 'biting zone' of the clutch pedal for a second. dumping it (letting go early) will just upset the car.

don't worry too much about the clutch life. I learned how to drive stick on my '13 wrx and lived with it until i traded it in this year for my '22 Si.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Was enjoying running the Si 30 miles down and back up a mountain for Holiday visits today, and thought of this thread and learning athletic things in general. Was really loving doing some of the stuff it took years to get down, and thought to share something that helped me to relax and accept the muscle memory without too much conscious involvement. Just a note to myself over the mirror in the track car.

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Steering wheel

Also, there is a steep hill at a stop light right in the middle of my hometown, the dreaded “Courthouse hill” that has humbled many a beginner. Gee did we hope we made it through a green light back in high school. I took it on purpose today. Still fear the humiliation of botching the shift, the fear of rolling backwards….fifty years later.

Reactions: CivicRob

·
Registered
18 Posts
Was enjoying running the Si 30 miles down and back up a mountain for Holiday visits today, and thought of this thread and learning athletic things in general. Was really loving doing some of the stuff it took years to get down, and thought to share something that helped me to relax and accept the muscle memory without too much conscious involvement. Just a note to myself over the mirror in the track car.

View attachment 12552

Also, there is a steep hill at a stop light right in the middle of my hometown, the dreaded “Courthouse hill” that has humbled many a beginner. Gee did we hope we made it through a green light back in high school. I took it on purpose today. Still fear the humiliation of botching the shift, the fear of rolling backwards….fifty years later.
Every town has one; the hill where boys become men.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
131 Posts
After months of really getting adapted to driving manual (this is my first manual car), I have come to very much love my Si. Sometimes it can be the biggest pain in the a**, as I live on a VERY LARGE college campus, meaning stop-go-stop-go all day long some days.
My question is, where do you find the smoothest shifts, ESPECIALLY for 1st to 2nd. This shift took me a bit of practice to really get down in this car. I find I start to shift to second at 3k rpm’s, let it come down to about 2200rpms and ease the clutch in over about 1-1.5 seconds. Is that how you guys have been doing it, or is that too much clutch wear?
Where have you found the sweet spots for you shifts on the new Si?
I may sound crazy but I get hard on myself sometimes, especially when I have a rough shift so I’m just trying to get better everyday!
Thanks! View attachment 12413
If you’re having a hard time getting the 1-2 shift down. Try using sport or if you’d like setting your “individual mode” for sport with the acceleration. It’ll boost the pedal pressure percentage making it a little smoother and easier starting in second and you could skip using 1st for the most part.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts