11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to see how others tuned the Bose system. I do tend to favor bass but having trouble trying to find a good tune for it.

·
Registered
669 Posts
Looking to see how others tuned the Bose system. I do tend to favor bass but having trouble trying to find a good tune for it.
Welcome to the forum @22CivicT! I don't have an exact method when I set my sound system but when I do fiddle with settings I pick a favorite song to test with and once it sounds right to me I leave it. How do you find the bass on the Bose speakers?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum @22CivicT! I don't have an exact method when I set my sound system but when I do fiddle with settings I pick a favorite song to test with and once it sounds right to me I leave it. How do you find the bass on the Bose speakers?
Theres a couple different ways to do it, but one way is going into the settings menu on the homepage and then go to sound. You should see the options there. homepage > settings > sound

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have mine set +3 on the treble and bass. Mid at zero. Sounds a little bassy when you’re stopped. But once you’re moving it sounds good.

I wish there was a way to fine tune the bass in the door speakers separately from the sub. The door speakers sound a little strained at +3. But at +2 sounds, overall bass sounds a little light for my tastes.

Fader is at default.

I also turn Centerpoint off.

Using Apple CarPlay wirelessly. Spotify mostly.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey @22CivicT have you owned any other cars that had a premium audio system?
yup, Nitro with Infinity, Legacy with H/K, and e300 with Burmaster. I’d say this sound pairs with the legacy more (rated at ~570w).

With that being said, I really like the sound system. I’m not a huge audiophile however

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have mine set +3 on the treble and bass. Mid at zero. Sounds a little bassy when you’re stopped. But once you’re moving it sounds good.

I wish there was a way to fine tune the bass in the door speakers separately from the sub. The door speakers sound a little strained at +3. But at +2 sounds, overall bass sounds a little light for my tastes.

Fader is at default.

I also turn Centerpoint off.

Using Apple CarPlay wirelessly. Spotify mostly.
What volume do you usually listen at? I actually haven’t compared centerpoint on vs off yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
What volume do you usually listen at? I actually haven’t compared centerpoint on vs off yet.
Usually around 16-17.

With CarPlay, anything much louder than that, I find the midrange starts to overpower the sound.

Sounds like you’re a bit of a Basshead. Unfortunately, while the Bose system is very nice, it isn’t the hardest hitting system.

The subwoofer is a enclosure less design. And there’s most likely no dedicated subwoofer amplifier.

If you really want harder hitting bass. I would probably recommend buying a seperate subwoofer amplifier. And a subwoofer with box for a little more kick.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Usually around 16-17.

With CarPlay, anything much louder than that, I find the midrange starts to overpower the sound.

Sounds like you’re a bit of a Basshead. Unfortunately, while the Bose system is very nice, it isn’t the hardest hitting system.

The subwoofer is a enclosure less design. And there’s most likely no dedicated subwoofer amplifier.

If you really want harder hitting bass. I would probably recommend buying a seperate subwoofer amplifier. And a subwoofer with box for a little more kick.
I played with mine quite a bit before settling on -1 treble, +1 mid, and +2 bass. I found that’s the most appealing to me!

·
Registered
70 Posts
I played with mine quite a bit before settling on -1 treble, +1 mid, and +2 bass. I found that’s the most appealing to me!
That's curious. Why not 0 treble, +2 mid, +3 bass? That's different? (I guess that's volume dependent)

I came to this thread hoping to find some frequency specs on the Bose speakers in the Touring trim, specifically the subwoofer. I see it's an 8" driver, but how "low" does it go (and with what power)?

And in fact, given that I'm now committed to getting a Sport Touring hatchback with the Bose audio system... If the sub is in the rear deck of the sedan, where is it going to be in the hatchback?! (Or the other two rear deck speakers?)

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
188 Posts
That's curious. Why not 0 treble, +2 mid, +3 bass? That's different? (I guess that's volume dependent)

I came to this thread hoping to find some frequency specs on the Bose speakers in the Touring trim, specifically the subwoofer. I see it's an 8" driver, but how "low" does it go (and with what power)?

And in fact, given that I'm now committed to getting a Sport Touring hatchback with the Bose audio system... If the sub is in the rear deck of the sedan, where is it going to be in the hatchback?! (Or the other two rear deck speakers?)
The sub is in the back of the hatch tucked in the cubby space behind the wheel well bulges in its own enclosure. Not sure about the other rear spearkers.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The sub is in the back of the hatch tucked in the cubby space behind the wheel well bulges in its own enclosure. Not sure about the other rear spearkers.
Thanks for that info (I guess I'd have found out eventually, LOL).

Question about the USB audio port and CarPlay in the 2022 Civic Touring (which I assume is the same in the sedan vs. hatchback, and for equates to having the Bose audio system):

In my 2020 CR-V, there is a special USB port for CarPlay use, and a second USB port that also supports playing audio files from a USB flash drive. I typically leave a USB flash drive attached in there, then optionally attach my iPhone to use CarPlay for longer trips. Meanwhile, the two rear USB ports for the back seat passengers only supply power (are not connected to the audio system).

In flipping through the PDF of the manual for the 2022 Civic, for the "models with 9-in. Color Touchscreen" (Touring), there are two USB ports, one for use with CarPlay or Android Auto or playing audio files (off of a flash drive), and the other one which has a battery symbol and specifically says "for charging devices only - you cannot play music even if you have connected music players to it", like the two rear USB ports.

But the 2022 Civic Touring says it also supports "wireless CarPlay" as well as wireless charging via the Qi pad under the radio. I assume that's something that can be selected between the two? CarPlay (from Qi pad) vs. Flash Drive (in the USB1 port)?

I've never had a car with a Qi pad before (for charging or for CarPlay), and I've read elsewhere on this forum that using wireless CarPlay for an extended period of time overheats the phone or something, like on a serious road trip I'd want to remove the flash drive and plug in the phone.

That'd be fine, I just want to know if in normal "daily driver" use, trips of 30 mins. or less for example, I could leave the flash drive plugged in and just occasionally opt to use CarPlay off my phone via the Qi pad.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Thanks for that info (I guess I'd have found out eventually, LOL).

Question about the USB audio port and CarPlay in the 2022 Civic Touring (which I assume is the same in the sedan vs. hatchback, and for equates to having the Bose audio system):

In my 2020 CR-V, there is a special USB port for CarPlay use, and a second USB port that also supports playing audio files from a USB flash drive. I typically leave a USB flash drive attached in there, then optionally attach my iPhone to use CarPlay for longer trips. Meanwhile, the two rear USB ports for the back seat passengers only supply power (are not connected to the audio system).

In flipping through the PDF of the manual for the 2022 Civic, for the "models with 9-in. Color Touchscreen" (Touring), there are two USB ports, one for use with CarPlay or Android Auto or playing audio files (off of a flash drive), and the other one which has a battery symbol and specifically says "for charging devices only - you cannot play music even if you have connected music players to it", like the two rear USB ports.

But the 2022 Civic Touring says it also supports "wireless CarPlay" as well as wireless charging via the Qi pad under the radio. I assume that's something that can be selected between the two? CarPlay (from Qi pad) vs. Flash Drive (in the USB1 port)?

I've never had a car with a Qi pad before (for charging or for CarPlay), and I've read elsewhere on this forum that using wireless CarPlay for an extended period of time overheats the phone or something, like on a serious road trip I'd want to remove the flash drive and plug in the phone.

That'd be fine, I just want to know if in normal "daily driver" use, trips of 30 mins. or less for example, I could leave the flash drive plugged in and just occasionally opt to use CarPlay off my phone via the Qi pad.
The Qi pad is independent of CarPlay. The pad just charges. And has nothing to do with CarPlay engaging or not.

You select the source from the head unit. If you select USB for the source. The unit will play those files even if your phone is on the Qi charger.

And vice versa, if you select CarPlay as the source. It will play whether you have the phone on the Qi charger or in your pocket.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The Qi pad is independent of CarPlay. The pad just charges. And has nothing to do with CarPlay engaging or not.

You select the source from the head unit. If you select USB for the source. The unit will play those files even if your phone is on the Qi charger.

And vice versa, if you select CarPlay as the source. It will play whether you have the phone on the Qi charger or in your pocket.
Ah, so "wireless CarPlay" is just that - wireless connection to the phone for CarPlay - unrelated to if the car is charging via Qi pad or the first USB port, which also supports "corded" CarPlay as well as the flash drive connectivity

·
Registered
51 Posts
Exactly.

Although, I believe if you plug the phone into the USB port that supports audio. And select CarPlay as the source. This will allow for high res lossless music from your iPhone with apps like Apple Music, TIDAL, etc…

Wireless CarPlay only supports compressed audio formats.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Exactly.

Although, I believe if you plug the phone into the USB port that supports audio. And select CarPlay as the source. This will allow for high res lossless music from your iPhone with apps like Apple Music, TIDAL, etc…

Wireless CarPlay only supports compressed audio formats.
So is it definitely true that you get better sound quality wired than compared to Bluetooth or wireless CarPlay?

·
Registered
70 Posts
So is it definitely true that you get better sound quality wired than compared to Bluetooth or wireless CarPlay?
The thing is, you might assume t hat if you are playing a compressed digital format like MP3, the data transmitted will be the same... But there is extra compression added to Bluetooth to ensure continuity (no dropped audio) with its narrow bandwidth.

Most or all BT audio transmission does its own compression/decompression, which means yet another layer of compression/de-compression when you're playing MP3 type audio, and that means it will lose range or fidelity by the end of it.

Whether or not you can hear that loss enough to bother you depends entirely on your ear, the material in question, how loudly you play it, and how good the amplifier/speakers or headset ultimately are.

Wireless CarPlay plays audio over Wi-Fi, I believe (not Bluetooth), at least after connecting to the phone. So the connection speed will be fast enough for any MP3 but not necessarily "raw/lossless digital format", hence that kind of format only plays over a wire.

If you never noticed the music sounding less full or less "real" when using BT headphones versus wired ones, you probably won't notice it here either, unless you never had good headphones (since maybe you crank the car audio up higher than on headphones).

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yes. Like robardin said, wired CarPlay allows for better sound fidelity. I can definitely hear the difference if I just sitting in my car. Not moving. But once I start driving, the road noise makes the difference less noticeable. So much so, I just use wireless Carplay for the convenience factor. YMMV.

I also noticed wired CarPlay and wireless CarPlay require different sound settings to sound their best.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Yes. Like robardin said, wired CarPlay allows for better sound fidelity. I can definitely hear the difference if I just sitting in my car. Not moving. But once I start driving, the road noise makes the difference less noticeable. So much so, I just use wireless Carplay for the convenience factor. YMMV.

I also noticed wired CarPlay and wireless CarPlay require different sound settings to sound their best.
Do you leave Bose center point on?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts