11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After being a loyal Honda client for 30 years, today I switched to Mazda.
I understand the supply and demand price elasticity, and its normal that dealers sell without discounts and at MSRP, but above MSRP is pure greed and exploitation of loyal clients. Maybe Honda does not see this now, but in the long term it will effect its brand loyalty and its depreciation value.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Nothing to do with Honda...
Every dealer is independent, have NOTHING to do with Honda brand and can set prices as they want/wish. Today they sell Hondas, tomorrow Ford or condoms.
If you go to buy Fuji apples in grocery store chain A and they sell it at price you do not like or way above what store B is selling for, do not blame apple tree and Fuji apple for that and say 'I will never buy that apple anymore'.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's why the title is "honda dealers greed" and not honda greed, and yes when you change a brand it takes a lot of marketing money to get u back. It's called customer aquisition cost that you have to spend it all over again to get your brand customer back. Dealers are independent but honda still can influence their behaviour with vehicles allocation.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Not all dealers are this way, I ordered a new civic and got it out the door for only a few dollars more than MSRP. Really took some searching though with the current shortage. I bargained on the phone for about a week first with every dealer in my area. Finally, after getting the best price, I drove an hour and a half to the dealer to bargain a bit more in person. You just have to be willing to play the game against them, personally, I think its fun XD

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
188 Posts
Not all dealers are this way, I ordered a new civic and got it out the door for only a few dollars more than MSRP. Really took some searching though with the current shortage. I bargained on the phone for about a week first with every dealer in my area. Finally, after getting the best price, I drove an hour and a half to the dealer to bargain a bit more in person. You just have to be willing to play the game against them, personally, I think its fun XD
Definitely this. Gotta be willing to play the game. If you can get multiple dealers in a bidding war even better. I'm lucky enough to have three dealerships in about a 20 minute radius from where I live making it super easy to cross shop and get them competing for my business.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Definitely this. Gotta be willing to play the game. If you can get multiple dealers in a bidding war even better. I'm lucky enough to have three dealerships in about a 20-minute radius from where I live making it super easy to cross-shop and get them competing for my business.
Yes, I had conversations with 10 different dealers (11 if you count CarMax). They all quoted me on the price of a sonic grey civic. After haggling with them a bit and getting that dealer's "bottom dollar" I would ask them to quote my trade-in. In the end this saved me 4k+.

ALWAYS get the bottom dollar price first, then price the trade-in. Don't be afraid to laugh in their face if they lowball you. If they were willing to sell you a car at that original price, they should be will do the same price with the trade-in, and it will maximize what you get out of the trade-in. Use the CarMax offer as leverage, it will probably be the most competitive offer you get since they can ship all over the country and make more money. Just know what the realistic trade-in is before going to the dealer so they don't convince you that the car is worth less than it is.

Don't pay any BS fees or "dealer tax" (DOC Fee and sales tax only). Don't let them know any more information than they need to know. They're going to ask how much you're putting down, what you want the payment to be, etc. These questions are all just trying to figure out how they can make the car APPEAR cheap enough for you to drive away in. Don't fall for the tricks, know your out-the-door price before going into the dealership and don't be afraid to walk away!

Final tip, ask "What other fees or obligations are associated with this purchase?" after they give you the price over the phone. This will tell you upfront if that dealer is charging any BS fee. Most dealers don't nowadays, but they will stick you somewhere else if you're not careful.

·
Registered
35 Posts
same here. Unfortunately had some pull out in front of my 7/8 and total my ‘12 civic lx. WORST TIME EVER to be needing to but a new car. Of course going to Honda for a new Civic. stalked autotrader deposit down on silver sport, then paid in full sight unseen. Ended up paying about a grand above msrp, BUT that’s only bc they refused to wave their standard dealer accessory package. Sucked bc it’s not stuff I wanted, but I had five Honda dealerships that allowed me to walk out/hung the phone up with me no problem after refusing to buy at msrp with accessory packages added, so in the end I crawled back to the only one that had silver in at the time.

damn that car that totaled mine during the worst car market buying time 😡

·
Registered
31 Posts
same here. Unfortunately had some pull out in front of my 7/8 and total my ‘12 civic lx. WORST TIME EVER to be needing to but a new car. Of course going to Honda for a new Civic. stalked autotrader deposit down on silver sport, then paid in full sight unseen. Ended up paying about a grand above msrp, BUT that’s only bc they refused to wave their standard dealer accessory package. Sucked bc it’s not stuff I wanted, but I had five Honda dealerships that allowed me to walk out/hung the phone up with me no problem after refusing to buy at msrp with accessory packages added, so in the end I crawled back to the only one that had silver in at the time.

damn that car that totaled mine during the worst car market buying time 😡
Yeah, not a great time to buy. Fortunately, the used car prices are up so it helps with that sticker shock a bit.. unless your last car was totaled of course.

How are you liking the new car?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts