11th Gen Civic Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Fernando Alonso has been incredible with testing for Alpine. They're going to be very interesting to watch this year.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Fernando Alonso has been incredible with testing for Alpine. They're going to be very interesting to watch this year.

I'm honestly not a huge Alonso fan. I honestly think he's over the hill now, but we'll see.

What I did find fascinating over the weekend, however, is that listening to the F1 commentators apparently Alonso has made the bold claim that every time he joins a team, he increases their speed and cuts 0.5 seconds off the average lap time. And that's not just his car, but his teammates car too.

So the F1 commentators thought this was too good to be true and they dug into the data... and it is true

So credit where credit is due.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I'm honestly not a huge Alonso fan. I honestly think he's over the hill now, but we'll see.

What I did find fascinating over the weekend, however, is that listening to the F1 commentators apparently Alonso has made the bold claim that every time he joins a team, he increases their speed and cuts 0.5 seconds off the average lap time. And that's not just his car, but his teammates car too.

So the F1 commentators thought this was too good to be true and they dug into the data... and it is true

So credit where credit is due.
That's really impressive I had no idea. I wonder after he retires if a team brings him on to consult on their cars or something.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Interesting article on Honda's new powerplant for F1 this year. I thought they couldn't really change the engines... this sounds major.

"The purpose is to change the shape of the combustion chamber while also reducing the overall size of the engine, lowering the centre of gravity, and changing the airflow on the camshaft. Cylinder bore spacing has also been shortened to make it more compact."

·
Registered
191 Posts
Interesting article on Honda's new powerplant for F1 this year. I thought they couldn't really change the engines... this sounds major.

"The purpose is to change the shape of the combustion chamber while also reducing the overall size of the engine, lowering the centre of gravity, and changing the airflow on the camshaft. Cylinder bore spacing has also been shortened to make it more compact."

If Honda is leaving F1 they're going out with a bang i guess. If they think it's more powerful than Mercedes' engine last year that's remarkable.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm still not convinced Mercedes won't just clean up again this year. I REALLY hope not though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Verstappen fastest in Free Practice 1!
Off to a good start.
Although I'm sure Mercedes aren't showing their pace yet.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Fastest in FP2 as well. VERY surprised to see Lando Norris in P2.

Perez was way back in 10th though. That's odd.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Oh man.... looks like it might finally be Max's year!

Pole position. And the driver on Pole has won this race for something like 8 years in a row.

REALLY sucks about Perez though. UGH...

This did make me giggle though

·
Registered
221 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Damn... Max was soooo close. I think when he gave back the position at the end he gave too much to Hamilton.

Overall it was an actually fantastic race though. This could very well be the best season in decades.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Damn... Max was soooo close. I think when he gave back the position at the end he gave too much to Hamilton.

Overall it was an actually fantastic race though. This could very well be the best season in decades.
Everyone wants to get the most out of their cars before the regulation changes kick in next year. I think it's going to come down to the wire for the driver and constructor championships.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Honda F1 Managing Director Masashi Yamamoto shared his thoughts about Red Bull using their engines going forward as they drop out of F1.

Following Honda’s announcement that they would leave the sport at the end of 2021, Red Bull made the bold decision to set up Red Bull Powertrains in order to continue to run and develop the Honda power units. And Yamamoto confirmed that Honda were now in the bittersweet process of handing over their technologies to Red Bull.

“We have [decided] the overall direction with Red Bull and we are now in the phase of sorting out the details of how Honda can support the programme from next year onwards. We’re still working that part out,” said Yamamoto.

“Personally I’m really glad that at least from next year they have something that we have made. As Honda, we like to support Red Bull with what we can to give them a competitive power unit that means they can fight for championships. If we can give it to them then that would be really great.

“There will not be any Honda branding on the car or the engine, so it will be mixed feelings seeing the car that has a Honda power unit,” he added. “The heart of the car is a Honda however it’s not really a Honda!”

21 - 40 of 44 Posts