11th Gen Civic Forum banner
341 - 360 of 366 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Epic race at Silverstone. My goodness!!!

Those last laps with Sergio, LeClerc and Hamilton were something else.

And Max (sucks for Max today) really fought off Schumacher at the end.
And did you notice how happy Seb was for Michael after his FINALLY scoring those first F1 points.

Must say, I’m very impressed with the pace that Mercedes has found!

What a super Silverstone

·
Registered
39 Posts
Silverstone was a great race, one I will remember for a long time. I was pretty bummed out with the self immolating Ferraris but their pace gets me excited to stay watching I’d say. I can’t wait to see how they will break their own budget and cost caps seeing as they made fun of RB early in the season. Will they eventually be allowed some flexibility to fix their engine or will they have to pay a continual price? I’m sure the customer teams are already pretty furious with Ferrari engines as is, if they are not allowed to fix this I’m sure they will throw some toys out of the pram and FIA will be bent out of shape, begrudgingly allowing some development and to keep things fair MB and RB and Renault will all be allowed to do some development, spurring another arms race.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Silverstone was a great race, one I will remember for a long time. I was pretty bummed out with the self immolating Ferraris but their pace gets me excited to stay watching I’d say. I can’t wait to see how they will break their own budget and cost caps seeing as they made fun of RB early in the season. Will they eventually be allowed some flexibility to fix their engine or will they have to pay a continual price? I’m sure the customer teams are already pretty furious with Ferrari engines as is, if they are not allowed to fix this I’m sure they will throw some toys out of the pram and FIA will be bent out of shape, begrudgingly allowing some development and to keep things fair MB and RB and Renault will all be allowed to do some development, spurring another arms race.
Skid pads or skid blocks, might be all that's required for Red Blue, but you're correct, an Arms Race is probably on the way

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #344 ·
After Austria and Carlos' engine explosion I was waiting for Charles' to do the same. His engine is newer though... but it does look like Ferrari have some real concerns with the longevity of their engines.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After Austria and Carlos' engine explosion I was waiting for Charles' to do the same. His engine is newer though... but it does look like Ferrari have some real concerns with the longevity of their engines.
Quite interesting how right now, Horner is “wondering Aloud” where Ferrari has found its new pace, the Prancing Horse has issues no doubt but, why has he chosen to add fuel the fire now!

·
Registered
908 Posts
If anyone's a Nigel Mansell fan you should check this out. Jodie Kidd did an interview with him. I haven't seen the full thing yet but so far it's been really good.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I wanted to call attention to the objection’s being leveled against the FIA about better control over bouncing and pourposing, Red Bull and Ferrari, wonder why?
You can also wonder why Mercedes and co are the only ones raising the porpoising issue.
Inevitably its a formula race and the one with the most to lose will not want to accept changes and the one with most to gain will be one asking for change. For the longest time, Mercedes led the field and Ferrari was the one calling for changes.

·
Registered
152 Posts
You can also wonder why Mercedes and co are the only ones raising the porpoising issue.
Inevitably its a formula race and the one with the most to lose will not want to accept changes and the one with most to gain will be one asking for change. For the longest time, Mercedes led the field and Ferrari was the one calling for changes.
Yeah true but I’m also recalling Ferrari was handed a cautionary challenge by the FIA regarding their engines. Each season F1 has at least two team’s challenging, or being challenged! 🤑

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah true but I’m also recalling Ferrari was handed a cautionary challenge by the FIA regarding their engines. Each season F1 has at least two team’s challenging, or being challenged! 🤑
Are you referring to the one a few seasons back when they allegedly burned oil and also messed with the fuel flow rate? It’s always that way, those who are behind will find whatever excuse or reason to cry foul haha. Remember the complaints against RB flexing front wings? Just to name a few

·
Registered
152 Posts
Are you referring to the one a few seasons back when they allegedly burned oil and also messed with the fuel flow rate? It’s always that way, those who are behind will find whatever excuse or reason to cry foul haha. Remember the complaints against RB flexing front wings? Just to name a few
Yes Lee, so much what I call, Cry Baby Stuff.

·
Registered
39 Posts
So sad to watch Ferrari kick their own butt this season, They Coulda Been Champs!

A Question All: Is LaClerc top seat for the Prancing Horse?
I think we are just too blessed to witness a golden time with Verstappen, and Hamilton, followed by Russell and Lando in the field.
We are spoiled for choice, really.

If you think LeClerc is not a top seat then it beggars belief that Sainz is his team mate...and to put it somewhat at a low expectation Sainz has been pretty ok at times.

Another point to prove is how consistently fast Lec is in the quali trims, he is just insanely competitive up there. You can close your eyes in the final Q3 run and just expect LEC to be at P1 or P2. Its like rolling a loaded dice. I was blown away by a Sauber rookie kicking Vettel in the butt in his first season in the team.
Yes, he is prone to mistakes. Yet, because he is fast, his mistakes tend to be highlighted a LOT, as he is at the sharp end of the field.
Yes, mistakes cost points. It is dear. And if your competition is Max (who I time and again stress is a once in a generation talent) who is already a calm and collected world champion with great machinery, then you are going to face a monumental task to beat him over a season.
I would NOT bet against Max this year, after seeing out now that the RB is acceptably reliable. Poor reliability was going to be the only way for them to not win the championship.

Finally, yet another way to judge Leclerc this season is that he is still more consistent than the car. So, as long as he gets the support of his team, at least a symbiotic win-win relationship can be maintained where he motivates the team to deliver a better car, and the better car allows him to push, and that should be a good thing. Character wise I see a humble well grounded man, which is far more than I can say of grumpy old Max. Jules' support for him while alive, and untimely demise seems to have ensured his grounding and I can honestly say a wholesome character around the circus.
Right now, I say again that the only man that can consistently beat Leclerc on same machinery is Max, while we know that the cars are tilted in balance of speed towards Red Bull and reliability also very much in favour of Red Bull. To expect something different is really to ask for miracles every single GP...

We ought not be so harsh on Charles, I think the competition is harsh enough.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Well said Lee, good on you. I too see LeClerc as an honest and very realistic young driver as well as an individual extremely focused on presenting both his team and himself in the most advantageous result possible. Unfortunately, I do question the Scuderia. Sainz demonstrates many of his co-drivers behavioral traits towards the same positive ends. Realistically, Luck hasn’t been a Lady to the Prancing Horse so-far, this season.

Max, or as I’ve called him “Mad Max“ still needs to Grow Up he’s a crybaby child with super talent presented in a very rude manor sadly demonstrated to me, after he rode-over LHs halo and didn’t even look back to see how his opponent was! This attitude I hope, he will soon outgrow what a terrific driver!

Soon we will also learn more of the Porsche re-entry into F1 and their 50% interest in RB, exciting times ahead.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Most world champions and almost all repeat world champions are ruthless [email protected] including Sir Lewis, Schumi, Alonso 1.0, Vettel 1.0, and now Max 0.9.1. Dial back and you see Nicki Lauda, the famous ruthless one to even himself. I think the only exception must be Jenson and he was mega lucky with the diffuser rule break. Look what happened to him without a hugely advantageous car. Heck, now that I think of it, even Villenueve had to put a nasty mask to win the championship. Perhaps the most fresh one is Nico Rosberg who even hates himself at the end of the season of winning the championship.

but they are humans nonetheless, and they are emotional beings. some of them evolve over time into more mellow characters and by the end of their competitive careers we only remember the mellow versions like Vettel 3.0, Schumi (Mercedes version) etc.

so, if Leclerc continues to be a nice guy he will soon find that everyone takes advantage and he may stand to lose the most if Sainz becomes the nasty one.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I optimistically thought that Porsche would be entering as an outright competitor ala Ferrari but just sponsoring Red Bull....I wonder how Honda will try its best to protect its own IP regarding their Turbo power unit development over the years. Or will this usher in some form of industrial cooperation between Porsche (Audi group) and Honda

·
Registered
152 Posts
I optimistically thought that Porsche would be entering as an outright competitor ala Ferrari but just sponsoring Red Bull....I wonder how Honda will try its best to protect its own IP regarding their Turbo power unit development over the years. Or will this usher in some form of industrial cooperation between Porsche (Audi group) and Honda
Wondering also, but we must remember, although Porsche is entering F1 they, I believe are doing so under the all powerful, seeing-eye of their VW AG group, Able to Leap Tall Buildings in a Single Bound! To assume control of engine power unit development from Honda, with Red Bull then constructing those units themselves! Honda, who unfortunately appear to be exiting motor sports, see possible new MotoGP situation. Perhaps the new phrase becomes: NOT race on Sunday, but sell cars on Monday.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Most world champions and almost all repeat world champions are ruthless [email protected] including Sir Lewis, Schumi, Alonso 1.0, Vettel 1.0, and now Max 0.9.1. Dial back and you see Nicki Lauda, the famous ruthless one to even himself. I think the only exception must be Jenson and he was mega lucky with the diffuser rule break. Look what happened to him without a hugely advantageous car. Heck, now that I think of it, even Villenueve had to put a nasty mask to win the championship. Perhaps the most fresh one is Nico Rosberg who even hates himself at the end of the season of winning the championship.

but they are humans nonetheless, and they are emotional beings. some of them evolve over time into more mellow characters and by the end of their competitive careers we only remember the mellow versions like Vettel 3.0, Schumi (Mercedes version) etc.

so, if Leclerc continues to be a nice guy he will soon find that everyone takes advantage and he may stand to lose the most if Sainz becomes the nasty one.
Your Champions checklist is so right-on inhaling brake dust n tyre bits will change a man. I especially enjoyed your comments on Nico, although I would appreciate hearing more of his commentary on Sky Sports race broadcasts.

341 - 360 of 366 Posts