11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello guys, my name is Andrew. I鈥檓 24 years old and this is going to be my very first big adult purchase. I鈥檓 currently driving a 2005 Nissan Altima that was gifted to me by my cousin and I鈥檝e had her for about 6 years now. She鈥檚 done more than I could鈥檝e asked and lasted longer than I expected. With that being said, it鈥檚 time for me to move on to a car that I will enjoy having and driving on a daily. I鈥檝e always loved the civics but really haven鈥檛 gotten around to purchase one because the dealership can be a very scary place. I鈥檝e never went into a dealership or even attempted to buy a car because it can seem daunting how they try to pull you in take advantage of you for not knowing anything and have you end up paying for stuff you may or may not need. Im hoping to avoid that or at least be able to point out when they鈥檙e trying to sell me bs. My goal is to purchase the Civic Sport in Aegean Blue Metallic with the HPD package installed. Anything will be greatly appreciated 馃槶馃槶馃槶

Registered
don鈥檛 go into the dealership saying that you鈥檙e going to buy a car. Go in with the attitude that you could leave at any point if you see something you don鈥檛 like. don鈥檛 be set on buying from the first person that talks to you. if you have multiple dealerships around you try to shop around and make it known to the dealer that you have other places to go and look. good luck!

Registered
Hi Andrew, I鈥檓 also car shopping right now (third one overall) and here are the things that I do before I go to the dealership that have helped me be more confident in the buying process:

1) Budget for how much car you can afford, this means the out the door price (vehicle price, sales tax, dealer documentation fee and tags, title). Some states set a max for how much the dealership can charge on documentation fee, so make sure to look up yours.

2) once you know how much car you can afford, learn/understand how the financing works.

There are many calculators or templates online that you can use to calculate what your monthly payments and total loan pay off would be (principal plus interest).

3) Get pre approved with your bank before heading to the dealership. When you get pre approved you will have a good idea of what loan terms you qualify for and what your monthly payment would be. This would help you avoid surprises and will also help you not overspend on your car since you have to choose how much you want to be pre approved for, meaning your out the door price cannot be higher than that (unless you want to make a down payment for the difference)

4) Use websites like truecar or KBB to research how much your car is selling for in your area. This will help you to have an idea of how much you should pay for when negotiating the price.

5) Setup an appointment with a specific salesperson instead of just wandering in the dealership.This website called dealer rater has reviews for specific salespeople at a dealership so you can read up on them to find out who you would like to get in contact with.

6) don鈥檛 be scared to shop around. If the current dealership isn鈥檛 giving you what you want you have all the right to walk away. Ive noticed that salesmen will just try to talk over you when you want to leave but they have no power to make you stay.

Edit: in terms of additional warranties, in my experience the only thing I would say has been worth getting is GAP (usually around 1K, but can possibly be purchased for cheaper through your car insurance or the bank you were preappeoved with). They will try to sell you all sorts of warranties but I don鈥檛 think they鈥檙e necessary. If you鈥檙e worried about future repair costs you could always put money aside in an emergency fund which you should have anyway.

Sorry for the long answer but I hope this helps!

Registered
See if you have any employer discounts! I was able to get my 22 Touring at under MSRP even after all the forced dealer add-ons and fees. Make sure you shop around, and don't be against traveling out a little to find the car and/or deal that you want. It's a tough market right now.

Registered
The problem with buying tips is that the chip shortage has changed the car buying environment, hopefully only temporarily. There are true shortages of cars available and the dealers are taking advantage of this.

The general advice I would give is to get prices from as many area dealers as you can. Typically the higher volume dealers offer the lower prices.

Negotiate the price of the car first before telling them you want to do a trade in, or finance. Otherwise, they are skilled in giving you a "great price" on the new car, while lowering the price on your used car, for example.

Registered
All great advice so far, I'd add the following: don't be afraid to walk away. If something doesn't feel/sound/smell/taste right and you haven't signed your paperwork already, it's perfectly fine to get up and leave.

Registered
Avoid the dealership and go through Costco, its a pre negotiated price, I paid 1500 under MSRP.
I'm curious--how does the Costco program deal with things like dealer add ons? A lot of the dealers around me say their additional aftermarket security system is "mandatory" (for $1200ish), does the Costco program eliminate that?

Registered
I'm curious--how does the Costco program deal with things like dealer add ons? A lot of the dealers around me say their additional aftermarket security system is "mandatory" (for $1200ish), does the Costco program eliminate that?
Correct, my dealer had a 2500 "Regional mark up" that were NOT able to charge because I went through Costco. It really is the best way to buy cars! You also get a 50% off ANY accessory add on which is fun.

Registered
Agree with the Costco route, especially if you new to the car buying scene. There's also Autoland that will give you pre-negotiated (i.e., no-haggle) pricing on cars. Plus, you can get pre-approved for financing from your local credit union if you are looking to get financed. Usually, Costco and Autoland can be a one-stop shop for everything. All you need to do is go test drive the car at the dealership (any dealership). You can then let them know that you are shopping around and not looking to buy at that time. Then, you go back to Costco/Autoland and take care of everything there. All the paperwork, all the financing. Everything. They give you a choice of extended warranty, paint protection, service contract, the works.

Another advantage of Costo/Autoland: they are able to cast a wide net in terms of search and you might be able to get a better selection of colors/features/options, etc. You tell them what you like, and they go out to bat for you to find a vehicle with the closest features that match your needs. With Autoland, you can bypass the dealership directly and take delivery of your vehicle at their local office.

EDIT: Realize that the OP might have completed their car purchase, but thought I'd post this info for anyone who might need this info in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts