11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I still haven't decided if the touring is worth the extra $3600 over the EX. I think I might actually wait for the hatchback, but as far as I can tell so far from the available information, the differences between the hatchback EX-L and hatchback touring sport is the same as comparing the EX vs Touring.

1. It appears that both EX and Touring have a sport/econ drive modes (despite the website only saying that the touring has sports mode), which I didn't realize until I saw an EX review. But they're in different places with the EX having its sports mode on the gear shifter. Is there a difference in quality of the sports or econ modes? Or is there any reason to prefer the touring version of this? Can I shift still into sports mode while the car is in motion in the EX? What is the reason for moving this?
  2. How is the built-in Navigation? I was assuming I'd just use Android Auto for all my navigation needs, so potentially the "Voice Activated Navigation with Realtime traffic" is a useless feature, but wanted to see if there is any advantages to the built-in one over just using Android Auto.
  3. One reviewer said the touring had heated rear seats? I think they just messed up? Or are talking about the Canadian model or something? I didn't see anything about that on Honda.com

Any other thoughts to what made the call for you? I've never owned a car with leather seats, but having leather sounds like all negatives (requires more maintenance, gets really hot in the summer). The main thing that makes this tough for me is the addition tech/sensing (Wireless AA, wireless charging, Cross traffic, RAE breaking, low speed breaking, parking sensors). The 10" informatics system sounds good on paper, but the 7" has physical Phone/Radio/Media buttons which is better and makes up some of the difference in screen size.

·
Registered
186 Posts
1. I honestly have no idea why, I am a bit surprised they have shifter at all.
2. It's not bad, looks better than old Garmin. But in touring it does not matter all that much since AA/Carplay is instantly there when you boot the car.
3. Gen10 had it but not Gen11. The Canadian version I believe has both rear heated seats and heated steering wheel. For us it does not matter much anymore, and those rear heaters were pretty slow anyway.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I am very interested in built in NAVI, too.
It all depends what are you used to use... On phone, I use Google map (off line downloaded map) but only as reference, not to guide me. In car I use Garmin and find dedicated unit to be much more handy than app based.
I guess built in NAVI in Civic will have more easily accessible options than app based. But only thorough comparison between built in and app based can confirm that. So far I have never seen any NAVI comparison anywhere ever.
I would use built in NAVI as long as maps are current. I hope free updates will be provided at least for few years.

If anybody has some time and inclination, NAVI comparison (built in vs. app (both Apple and Android)) will be really appreciated and I guess will get a lot of youtube views...

·
Registered
19 Posts
This is just my opinion based on using Honda’s navigation, friends using it, and speaking with car salesman on the lots… never pay the extra for it. Google maps almost always does a better job. You do have to run it off your phone and will have to plug it in on the EX and lower trims. I’m sure it’s been improved quite a bit since I last used it but I personally wouldn’t upgrade for that feature.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I love Google maps but they just screwed up today and I turned on my NAVI! First time in a VERY long time. This is the first time I've used the built in. I really didn't think I was ever going to use it. I probably won't again but who knows!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I wanted the larger screen and the wireless. The improved sound system was also intriguing and it didn’t disappoint, I used to listen to mostly talk radio in my old car but now I’ve been jamming because the sound is so good.

·
Registered
700 Posts
I still haven't decided if the touring is worth the extra $3600 over the EX. I think I might actually wait for the hatchback, but as far as I can tell so far from the available information, the differences between the hatchback EX-L and hatchback touring sport is the same as comparing the EX vs Touring.

1. It appears that both EX and Touring have a sport/econ drive modes (despite the website only saying that the touring has sports mode), which I didn't realize until I saw an EX review. But they're in different places with the EX having its sports mode on the gear shifter. Is there a difference in quality of the sports or econ modes? Or is there any reason to prefer the touring version of this? Can I shift still into sports mode while the car is in motion in the EX? What is the reason for moving this?
  2. How is the built-in Navigation? I was assuming I'd just use Android Auto for all my navigation needs, so potentially the "Voice Activated Navigation with Realtime traffic" is a useless feature, but wanted to see if there is any advantages to the built-in one over just using Android Auto.
  3. One reviewer said the touring had heated rear seats? I think they just messed up? Or are talking about the Canadian model or something? I didn't see anything about that on Honda.com

Any other thoughts to what made the call for you? I've never owned a car with leather seats, but having leather sounds like all negatives (requires more maintenance, gets really hot in the summer). The main thing that makes this tough for me is the addition tech/sensing (Wireless AA, wireless charging, Cross traffic, RAE breaking, low speed breaking, parking sensors). The 10" informatics system sounds good on paper, but the 7" has physical Phone/Radio/Media buttons which is better and makes up some of the difference in screen size.
I think it's always handy to have the built in navigation to go along with your phone for that added peace of mind but on the flip side I don't know how many times I've used it over my phone.

You should get sport and econ mode on the EX models as well as the Touring. This video does a great job breaking down the Civic EX.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts

There are ways to get around those leather negatives. Getting your windows tinted and buying a windshield sun shade with UV protection can help a lot, not just for the seats but for the rest of the interior.

Did you get a chance to see and even test drive both models?
That should go a long way to help you decide.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think it's always handy to have the built in navigation to go along with your phone for that added peace of mind but on the flip side I don't know how many times I've used it over my phone.

You should get sport and econ mode on the EX models as well as the Touring. This video does a great job breaking down the Civic EX.

That is the video that lead me to discover the EX even had a sports mode. Before that video I thought it was only on the touring. Still don't understand why its in a different spot and if that different spot has any meaning to it other than just activating it differently.

Did you get a chance to see and even test drive both models?
That should go a long way to help you decide.
Not yet, but I'm also not ready yet to pull the trigger on either because I'm waiting until the hatchback comes out in September. I'll definitely do that before making my final decision though.

·
Registered
700 Posts
That is the video that lead me to discover the EX even had a sports mode. Before that video I thought it was only on the touring. Still don't understand why its in a different spot and if that different spot has any meaning to it other than just activating it differently.

Not yet, but I'm also not ready yet to pull the trigger on either because I'm waiting until the hatchback comes out in September. I'll definitely do that before making my final decision though.
The EX in this video also has a sport mode on the shifter if you look close.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The EX in this video also has a sport mode on the shifter if you look close.
Yeah, that is what inspired the question: Why is it in a different spot between the EX and the touring? Is there a meaningful difference between the two spots and is it somehow more desirable in the touring location? Or is the actual mode different?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts