11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Just don’t do juvenile $hit to them and you’ll be fine. This is Honda.

Reactions: SGPkaz

·
Registered
98 Posts
I think Ososik's car is one data point which has been abused since it rolled off the dealer lot. I think it's asking a lot for any turbo charged engine to absorb almost double the boost (30+ lbs) when they tested the PRL(?) turbo on E85. The rods are indeed the weak point on these engines but if you abuse it and boost the crap out of it, why is anyone surprised it blew up? If other tuners are experiencing the same issues with relatively conservative mods, then I'd be worried. Car and Driver recently did a track day at Sebring without any issues. Granted, it was stock except brake pads and tires. I'd be very interested in what Honda did, if anything to strengthen the block on their turn-key racecar.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I've owned dozens of Hondas over the years logging a ton of miles on all of them, I never had a single repair on any of my cars, just normal maintenance. I have never owned a turbo Honda motor in the past so I don't know how long they are designed to run

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I think Ososik's car is one data point which has been abused since it rolled off the dealer lot. I think it's asking a lot for any turbo charged engine to absorb almost double the boost (30+ lbs) when they tested the PRL(?) turbo on E85. The rods are indeed the weak point on these engines but if you abuse it and boost the crap out of it, why is anyone surprised it blew up? If other tuners are experiencing the same issues with relatively conservative mods, then I'd be worried. Car and Driver recently did a track day at Sebring without any issues. Granted, it was stock except brake pads and tires. I'd be very interested in what Honda did, if anything to strengthen the block on their turn-key racecar.
I only plan on keeping mine stock, so I would assume it will be perfectly fine, but I tend to overthink, especially when “weak rods” is mentioned lol

Funny you mention the race car because I was looking into that myself. Only thing I could find was that it shared the same engine with the consumer Si.

·
Registered
2023 Civic Lx Sedan
17 Posts
I have a tenth gen civic and spent some time reading the the problems people have with them in one of the forums. Almost all of the blown engines and transmissions were modified and abused.

Treat your car well and don’t modify the engine or electrical system and it should last at least 150,000 miles (250,000 kilometres).

·
Registered
98 Posts
I wonder how accurate the factory boost gauge is on the 11th gen turbo civics? I currently have a TSP tune and no other mods on my Si and never use map 3 which supposedly produces 25 lbs of boost during ideal conditions. I usually leave it at the map 1 setting with occasional map 2 bursts. The highest I've seen is 19 lbs on the stock gauge. I'm pretty sure this is safe especially using 93 octane which is readily available in my area.

·
Registered
1,796 Posts
I got rid of my 2016 Civic as I was concerned about long term reliability and I had the fuel dilution issues which they could never solve on my car. It turns out that despite fuel dilution in the early days there was no increase in engine failures, and many of those early vehicles are going strong (Civic and CR-V). My 11th gen has no noticeable fuel dilution so whatever fix they made has worked on this gen, the vehicle heats up faster too which is a plus in this part of the world.

I'm set on running Mobi1 EP 0w20 oil, it is strong enough to run almost 3 times as long as I will be running it, so lots of extra protection / buffer in that oil. This oil seems to be working extremely well for me on those cold winter days, the engine fires up so easily and quiet, no differently than a summer day.

·
Premium Member
2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
132 Posts
I got rid of my 2016 Civic as I was concerned about long term reliability and I had the fuel dilution issues which they could never solve on my car. It turns out that despite fuel dilution in the early days there was no increase in engine failures, and many of those early vehicles are going strong (Civic and CR-V). My 11th gen has no noticeable fuel dilution so whatever fix they made has worked on this gen, the vehicle heats up faster too which is a plus in this part of the world.

I'm set on running Mobi1 EP 0w20 oil, it is strong enough to run almost 3 times as long as I will be running it, so lots of extra protection / buffer in that oil. This oil seems to be working extremely well for me on those cold winter days, the engine fires up so easily and quiet, no differently than a summer day.
Everyone says the issue doesn't exist anymore, but a certain Honda mechanic posted on social media a while back that he was still seeing the issue in the new 11th gens coming in. His post was deleted within an hour, so I'm not really sure what to think of it, but he seemed like a knowledgeable, honest, and genuine guy from the comments he was making.

He did say change your oil every 3k miles and you'll be fine though.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Everyone says the issue doesn't exist anymore, but a certain Honda mechanic posted on social media a while back that he was still seeing the issue in the new 11th gens coming in. His post was deleted within an hour, so I'm not really sure what to think of it, but he seemed like a knowledgeable, honest, and genuine guy from the comments he was making.

Interesting. I've done two oil changes-1st at 2500 miles and the second at 7500. I had blackstone do an oil analysis and there was negligible fuel in the oil after each oil change. I understand modern oil formulas are designed for 10k intervals but if you do oil changes yourself, 5k intervals seem like cheap insurance.

-Jamie

·
Registered
1,796 Posts

I haven't seen or heard much of this lately, although every direct injection turbo motor has some oil dilution to some extent, regardless of the manufacturer. My 2016 Civic oil level was growing like mad week after week, it was crazy bad. My 2022 Si doesn't move a millimetre over the course of 6000 miles (10k kilometres) oil change intervals. I am sure there is still some fuel in the oil but nothing like past issues, and we have not seen any evidence of mass engine failures despite this issue being around for 6+ years. I ran a Subaru WRX for 3.5 years without issue, now onto a new one, plus my 2022 Si. Both cars do 10k kilometre oil changes.

·
Premium Member
2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
132 Posts
Yeah, I don't think it's as bad as before at the very least, but like you say there will always be some with any direct injection turbo. He also said it's really only a factor if most of your driving is usually very short trips (like 1-3 miles).

·
Registered
98 Posts
At this point I think I would trust 27WON, PRL, and TSP, etc. to come up with a safe formula of mods for the 11th gen Civic with the 1.5T. After watching all of the videos of their 11th gen "build" I get a feeling of "[email protected]#k it, let's see if it blows" attitude with little technical data and a ton of variables to go with it.
-Jamie

·
Registered
8 Posts
My last 2 previous cars were Honda civics. I drove hundreds of thousands of miles without a single problem in both cars. Just routine maintenance. They were both naturally aspirated so I went with the sport 2.0 just for dependability. M sure the 1.5T will last along time as well. Honda builds some of the best engines in the world and have an incredible track record.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't seen or heard much of this lately, although every direct injection turbo motor has some oil dilution to some extent, regardless of the manufacturer. My 2016 Civic oil level was growing like mad week after week, it was crazy bad. My 2022 Si doesn't move a millimetre over the course of 6000 miles (10k kilometres) oil change intervals. I am sure there is still some fuel in the oil but nothing like past issues, and we have not seen any evidence of mass engine failures despite this issue being around for 6+ years. I ran a Subaru WRX for 3.5 years without issue, now onto a new one, plus my 2022 Si. Both cars do 10k kilometre oil changes.
Hey bro are you running 89 in the Si? I think i saw a post where you said this. Also you have a 22 WRX right now also? Hilarious as I have an order in for the Si but cant stop looking at the WRX. Thinking about putting an order in for the WRX and just seeing which one arrives first. I am in Canada too so WRX would be awesome. Little put off about the MPG's on the WRX but it is 5k cheaper for the base than the Si. How are you finding the cars and which do you prefer running costs included? Apologies for all the questions!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts