11th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
The CR was a stripped down track focused hardtop with no soft top S2000. Civic or even regular S2000 are cars meant to be enjoyed on the road.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
Not really, I know several C/R owners who daily drive their cars and they never seen a track. I purposely ran the C/R tire pump and repair kit in my S2000 for 9 years. I made some 2000 mile trips in my S2000 without the spare and I never had a concern or incident, the C/R owners I know did the same drives down south.

With 38 years of driving personal vehicles and commercial vehicles over 2 million miles I never had a sudden unexpected flat tire. Lots of slow leaks but I never had a tire blow out or sidewalls cut. I know it can certainly happen but it is not that common, and Honda has likely realized that.

I want the US tire pump and repair kit and I hope to run one at some point in time, I would swap with a US member if it was convenient but not that easy in today's restrictions. I may just buy a kit from Honda. I want the pump and repair kit for safety reasons, for the rare chance a tire blows out I have 4 years of roadside assistance if needed.

Can't you guys use a spare tire and tools from the 10th generation, the tire hold down bolt would be the same and would thread into the existing mounting hole in the trunk. There must be a way to find a spare tire that works, I can take a measurement of my spare tire if anyone wants, and pictures if needed.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Thanks. But Discount does't list the Si as a trim. Would the wheel/tire combo be the same as the sport? I'd assume yes.
If you can make your way into one of there stores they should a able to help you .I know the dealership can but they will charge you more. At least you can see the difference in prices. Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
I bought a spare kit for my TLX when it first came out and Acura didn’t yet sell one from here: Modern Spare
It wasn’t cheap but it was a good quality kit. You are better off buying a kit from Honda because I had to improvise to bolt the spare into the space in the trunk. A Honda kit will likely come with a bolt and wing nut. Also, your tire inflation kit likely came with a funnel. Make sure you keep that in the car, as there is no way to fill the tank from a gas can without it (at least it was like that with my TLX and other cars that don’t come with a gas cap). I keep a 5 gallon gas can full in my garage for my generator. Every 3 months I dump it into the car and fill the can with fresh gas - that is how I know.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have drive 550 miles a week (885 KM), and have had several flats, mostly nails and screws, but I've also had a sidewall blow out on a pot hole and picked up a knife blade in the center of the tread leaving 1 inch (2.5 CM) slit that fix a flat wouldn't repair. I have had both front tires go down at the same time (bad valve stems on new tires...thanks Walmart). I was doing 81 MPH (130 KM) on the interstate. By the time I could get pulled over the tire's inner sidewalls were shot, and I had to be towed. Before getting the Si, I drove a 2014 Honda Accord Sport, manual of course, with the factory spare in the hole and an OE full size rim with my take-off tire mounted in the trunk as well, so I am definitely pro spare tire, and had used the full size spare twice. Unfortunately my American spec Honda Si didn't come with a spare and my full size 18" Accord spare (which does fit the Si) takes up more than half the trunk, so I have been researching the spare tire. I picked up a T135/80/R16 from a 2005 Acura TLX in the salvage yard, but realized the Canadian model comes with the T125/80/R17 to clear the massive front brakes, so I was out $13.00 bucks, but worth it. As I continued down the rabbit hole, I found that the 2011 up Odysseys have a T135/80/R17, so i went back the the yard to swap my 16" Acura spare for the 17" Odyssey spare...found one in mint condition, tried to fit it to a wrecked 06 Accord Coupe, in the yard, and the bolt pattern is different, so that was a no go. While in the yard, I re-Googled and Nissan also uses the 5x114.3 bolt pattern, but their bore is a little bigger. I found a 2004 Nissan Altima with a T145/80/R17 (the tire is over Honda spec, so I may drop the $13 on a Volvo spare that uses the T125/80/R17 tire, and swap them, although it fits in the trunk just fine, so we'll see), walked it back over to the Accord and it's a match. When I got home I pulled my front tire, mounted the spare (stands 3/4" taller than the actual tire) and checked for clearance on the caliper, and for possible rubbing issues...none found even on rack to rack. There is not a ton of clearance on the caliper, maybe 3/8," but it works for me. I picked up the foam insert, the tools and the retention bolt from another Honda, $8.00 more dollars. The foam tool insert needed some trimming on the Nissan wheel to get the carpeted cover to lay flat, but it worked. The wheel bore on the Nissan wheel is 66.1 and the Si is 64.1, so I thought about investing in a spacer, but the reality is they are hard to remove and the spare just needs to get me to the tire repair place, so I probably won't worry about it. Anyway, I have rambled on too long, but this is my low cost $21 solution, to having a spare and trunk space
Tire Automotive parking light Wheel Vehicle Car
Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Alloy wheel Vehicle brake

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
For those who are worried if a spare will clear the front brakes. IT DOESN'T MATTER!

The manual states a compact spare should not be used in the front to prevent differential damage. So if you get a flat in the front you should put the spare in the back, then mount the back wheel in the front.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am tracking what Swift Tone is saying. I run the spare on the rear, as well, but I wanted to make sure my Altima spare would clear the front brakes, in case I have to do a hasty mount to get the car to a safe spot, for the front to rear move. I also carry an aluminum racing jack and a 20 Volt, Dewalt 1/2" impact driver, to minimize my exposure on the interstate. I have the stock jack, but not a fan of the time it takes to employ. One other tid-bit, the Altima spare is a T145/80/R17, and stands a touch taller than the stock 18" alloy, so it is not smaller like the OE spare (T125/80/R17), and it's larger size stills fits in the spare cubby, with no issues. The perfect tire for the Altima rim is probably the T135/80R17, which can be sourced from the 2011 up Odysseys (but the rim can't be used, not 114.3 x 5).
Another issue I see with trying to get the spare kit from Honda is, not only the cost, but that it's probably backordered like everything else Honda makes right now. I will have my buddy at Honda, in Kansas City, run the part number and post it's availability in a later post.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
I purchased a "used" spare tire kit with the foam off of a 2000s Acura TL Type S on eBay. It's a 17 inch rim. Fit was perfect for both mounting the wheel on the hub and in the trunk. Cost me $130 shipped.

·
Registered
15 Posts
The actual Temporary Spare Kit from Honda is 06421-T38-A11 (replaces A10) costs $278.39 (US), with my military discount, and of course it's backordered...like everything else. I reached back to my parts guy to see if he can confirm the Temporary Kit comes with the 17" wheel with T125/80R17 tire, foam insert, tie down bolt, and tools. I'll update when I hear back, unless someone else already knows?

21 - 35 of 35 Posts