11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did Honda ever make AWD an option on the Civic? All models I seen were just FWD. To my surprise, the latest Type R as well. With 11th gen Civic Type R rumors suggesting it will be hybrid, could it be the very first AWD Civic from Honda?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Did Honda ever make AWD an option on the Civic? All models I seen were just FWD. To my surprise, the latest Type R as well. With 11th gen Civic Type R rumors suggesting it will be hybrid, could it be the very first AWD Civic from Honda?
Part time four-wheel-drive was introduced in the 1984 Honda Civic Wagon; Real time four-wheel-drive was introduced in 1987 and engaged the rear wheels automatically when front wheel spin/slip was detected. Four-wheel-drive was available also in certain models of the sedan in JDM markets

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Part time four-wheel-drive was introduced in the 1984 Honda Civic Wagon; Real time four-wheel-drive was introduced in 1987 and engaged the rear wheels automatically when front wheel spin/slip was detected. Four-wheel-drive was available also in certain models of the sedan in JDM markets
Thanks, that's very helpful.
Not surprised that JDM market Hondas got them, along with other features we didn't get. Do you think they should bring it back, but this time on the 11th generation Civic Type R?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks, that's very helpful.
Not surprised that JDM market Hondas got them, along with other features we didn't get. Do you think they should bring it back, but this time on the 11th generation Civic Type R?
It would be a smart move and could potentially steal a few WRX/STi sales from Subaru. The wagon concept is pretty interesting, but even if Honda built a wagon I'm pretty sure we wouldn't get it in the US; I'm sure Honda of America would view a Civic wagon as a direct threat to the CR-V and smaller HR-V. Even though Honda is streamlining and down-sizing trim levels in the Civic range, they know they need certain core trim levels or they risk losing sales. They need a decently equipped base model (now the LX) that rivals the standard features of the competition at a reasonable price. The EX ups the anty with a moonroof, alloys, better stereo and other creature comforts customers appreciate. I'm mixed about the Sport; like the '83 Civic 1500S. it's a blackout appearance package with a manual and a black interior with red seat insets. It had the same 1500 CVCC as all the other 1.5 Civics. Not everyone has the budget for the Si or wants to shift their own gears, so a CVT is understandable. Honda manuals (except the CR-Z) have always been some of the best in the market, with a not too heavy/not too light clutch and a perfectly weighted gearshift that delivers a perfect snick that makes you want to take the long twisty backroad home. The 1500S lead to the Civic CRX Si(1985) and Civic Si(1986) adding fuel injection to the 5 speed and other equipment (Civic CRX Si gained a rear wiper/washer, alloy wheels and power sunroof and thicker roll bars; Civic Si added a removable moonroof, body colored bumpers, disk style wheelcovers, ?) making fun to drive cars into pocket rockets. The Si has always only been available with a manual transmission in the US. I believe an automatic has been available on JDM Si's since the 5th generation and an Si sedan was introduced in 1985 for the JDM but have not found any information/documentation in English (I do not know Japanese), but it's possible the auto Si could have been available before the 5th gen. In my eyes, the USDM Si should only be available with a manual transmission. The Touring trim will remain the leather trimmed, CVT non-Si turbo (174hp) with Sport/Si suspension and other fancy stuff and things.

The Type R is new to us in the US. I think it might be the fastest FWD for sale in the US-or something. I read an article or 2 about it when it came out, but haven't paid it much attention. It might be fast, but it sure is ugly. The current British made CIvic hatchback is has a face only a mother could love. IMO the design aesthetics of the hatch are not cohesive to the Coupe and Sedan, and instead of looking like a sibling/member of the family all I see is Kwasi-moto. It's just not pretty. We all know why it has a giant spoiler on the back, but with all the fake vents grilles and weird unnecessarily complicated design enhancements, I want to hang laundry from the spoiler to make it look less ridiculous like someone bought every fake accessory at Pep Boy's and slapped them on. Thankfully the new hatch will be made in the US/Canada; even covered it camo, the design looks normal doesn't scare small children or my retinas.
But I do think it should be aggressive: a dual clutch/sequential manual with paddle shifters sending power to all 4 wheels by SH-AWD might help it to keep it's crown, but for the love of all that is holy don't give it the NSX setup with electric motors on the rear-if people wanted a hybrid sports car they would have actually bought the NSX.

Too bad Honda got rid of the diesels that are under the hoods of so many Euro Honda's. I've read nothing but positive reviews about them. Just another something we American's can't have....

Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I'd love it if Honda made wagons again but in the SUV era it's not going to happen. At least not in North America.

An AWD Si or Type R would be a great time to steal sales from Subaru because to me the recent WRX's have been bland compared to the ones of the past. But I'd also be worried about how much the price gets jacked up.

From your response you must be excited for the 11th gen Civic's design. What stands out to you compared to the current gen?

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be a smart move and could potentially steal a few WRX/STi sales from Subaru. The wagon concept is pretty interesting, but even if Honda built a wagon I'm pretty sure we wouldn't get it in the US; I'm sure Honda of America would view a Civic wagon as a direct threat to the CR-V and smaller HR-V. Even though Honda is streamlining and down-sizing trim levels in the Civic range, they know they need certain core trim levels or they risk losing sales. They need a decently equipped base model (now the LX) that rivals the standard features of the competition at a reasonable price. The EX ups the anty with a moonroof, alloys, better stereo and other creature comforts customers appreciate. I'm mixed about the Sport; like the '83 Civic 1500S. it's a blackout appearance package with a manual and a black interior with red seat insets. It had the same 1500 CVCC as all the other 1.5 Civics. Not everyone has the budget for the Si or wants to shift their own gears, so a CVT is understandable. Honda manuals (except the CR-Z) have always been some of the best in the market, with a not too heavy/not too light clutch and a perfectly weighted gearshift that delivers a perfect snick that makes you want to take the long twisty backroad home. The 1500S lead to the Civic CRX Si(1985) and Civic Si(1986) adding fuel injection to the 5 speed and other equipment (Civic CRX Si gained a rear wiper/washer, alloy wheels and power sunroof and thicker roll bars; Civic Si added a removable moonroof, body colored bumpers, disk style wheelcovers, ?) making fun to drive cars into pocket rockets. The Si has always only been available with a manual transmission in the US. I believe an automatic has been available on JDM Si's since the 5th generation and an Si sedan was introduced in 1985 for the JDM but have not found any information/documentation in English (I do not know Japanese), but it's possible the auto Si could have been available before the 5th gen. In my eyes, the USDM Si should only be available with a manual transmission. The Touring trim will remain the leather trimmed, CVT non-Si turbo (174hp) with Sport/Si suspension and other fancy stuff and things.

The Type R is new to us in the US. I think it might be the fastest FWD for sale in the US-or something. I read an article or 2 about it when it came out, but haven't paid it much attention. It might be fast, but it sure is ugly. The current British made CIvic hatchback is has a face only a mother could love. IMO the design aesthetics of the hatch are not cohesive to the Coupe and Sedan, and instead of looking like a sibling/member of the family all I see is Kwasi-moto. It's just not pretty. We all know why it has a giant spoiler on the back, but with all the fake vents grilles and weird unnecessarily complicated design enhancements, I want to hang laundry from the spoiler to make it look less ridiculous like someone bought every fake accessory at Pep Boy's and slapped them on. Thankfully the new hatch will be made in the US/Canada; even covered it camo, the design looks normal doesn't scare small children or my retinas.
But I do think it should be aggressive: a dual clutch/sequential manual with paddle shifters sending power to all 4 wheels by SH-AWD might help it to keep it's crown, but for the love of all that is holy don't give it the NSX setup with electric motors on the rear-if people wanted a hybrid sports car they would have actually bought the NSX.

Too bad Honda got rid of the diesels that are under the hoods of so many Euro Honda's. I've read nothing but positive reviews about them. Just another something we American's can't have....

Just my thoughts.
If not an NSX-like hybrid setup in the Type R, then how about an S2000 successor?

Honda was rumored to be working on it for 2024. I think it'll be a great way to introduce real hybrid performance under the Honda badge and at a lower price point. The 11th Type R can get by with just more of what the 10th does.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'd love it if Honda made wagons again but in the SUV era it's not going to happen. At least not in North America.

An AWD Si or Type R would be a great time to steal sales from Subaru because to me the recent WRX's have been bland compared to the ones of the past. But I'd also be worried about how much the price gets jacked up.

From your response you must be excited for the 11th gen Civic's design. What stands out to you compared to the current gen?
The baby Accord front end and headlights give the Civic a handsome grown up look that looks well thought out and planned; the wide eyes of the headlights give the conservative front end some aggression. The snout of the current Civic is a hot mess. The headlights and grille create a very busy front end and I find the piano black gloss grille on the Sport/Si/Type R front look a bit cheap and low quality. What visually offends me are the giant fake vents/grilles and the body colored boundary barriers that break up the fake grille/vent into separate pointless areas instead of it being just one giant waste of space.

Based off the renderings of the dashboard, I'm really digging the clean design and the vent arrangement. It's clean, simple and effective. Mazda has really been nailing simple uncomplicated dashes in the 3 and Miata/MX5, and even the rebadged Mazda 2 Toyota Yaris. I hope the finalized interior isn't too far off from the rendering; we pretty much know by now that Honda concepts aren't too far off from the road going production models, usually with an aggressive paint job and rims that are available in other markets but not to us. I wasn't a fan of the Energy Green that looks like Split Pea Soup Green, but Tonic Yellow caught my eye the first time I saw it on a Sport Coupe in the show room.

I'm excited about the 11th gen CIvic. The concept sedan is a handsome car. I'm a hatchback/wagon guy from the first time Imy mom let me drive our 87 Civic Wagon that became my first car to my 86 Accord LXi manual hatchback, an 81 CM450A hondamatic motorcycle and my 86 Civic CRX Si and my 88 CRX Si, my 93 Accord EX manual sedan (all fancy like with a motorola car phone), my charcoal grey 93 Civic LX sedan, my 94 Civic Si hatch, our "Minivan of Fury" 2000 Odyssey LX that died at 372k, my 2003 919 (CB900F/Hornet) to my first brand new non-hand me down 08 Civic EX 5mt sedan that I regret trading in for my '11 CRZ EX 6mt to my current day Mommy Wagon 07 CRV EXL, my '14 CB500F ABS and self propelled electric start Honda push mower; I've been patiently waiting for the 11th gen. I didn't buy the black 2008 Civic Si sedan I wanted bought my first brand new car and had a car loan; the premium gas the Si required was the highest I've ever seen at $4/gallon, so I studied the brochure and decided I wanted a Tango Red Pearl EX manual sedan. I got a ridiculous offer from Fairfax Honda-a price beater dealership I worked at 9 years before. I questioned the internet sales manager and head sales manager confirming the offer amount before getting driving from VA Beach to Fairfax, fairly certain that I would get screwed over after making the drive up there (which almost happened when Finance didn't give me the 2.9APR because I had student loans). Even though FFX Honda was a price beater dealership, the offer price was below dealer invoice and holdback and I was sure something would go amuck and this deal was too good to be true. My salesman met me at my mom's apartment to take me to the dealership as I was giving her my Civic instead of trading it in adn she was out of town on business. We went to the dealership to get my keys and have them start the paperwork and were going to fetch my car from one of the 5 off site storage lots they rented. My car was in one of the garage locations parked with 3 other Tango Red Pearl EX sedans. My car was the only manual red EX sedan on that lot, but I understood how I was getting a stupid ridiculous deal on my new car when my salesman told me my car was the one with the August inspection, and it was May 8th. Apparently I was the only one who wanted a manual Tango Red pearl EX sedan and FFX Honda had been paying lot space rent for almost an entire year (10 months). I loved that car more than the Si I had wanted and just as much as my first Civic and I regret trading it in on my premium white pearl CRZ EX6MT. I've wanted to hit myself in the head with a frying pan for making that stupid decision, so I sat myself down and told myself: "Self, we're gonna get another brand new Civic. And we need to make sure we get the right one because we're keeping this one until they take our license and keys." And Honda REALLY staggered the release of the 10th gen; it seemed like a year went by after the sedan came out before the coupe arrived and even a bit longer than that before the hatch arrived. And manuals weren't available on EX-T's until 2017. I had narrowed it down to a Cosmic Blue EX-T manual sedan or a pearl white EX-T manual coupe until I drove a White Si Coupe then later a silver Si Sedan and I really couldn't figure out what would work best for me in the long run. And then the new Accord came out and I'm looking at the 2.0 Sport so I can have my moonroof and manual transmission, and between a Tonic Yellow Civic Sport coupe and a pearl white Accord Sport, I threw in the towel on which Civic do I want today? But I definately never wanted any model Civic hatchback. Nope. No thank you; you keep Kwazi-Moto; we're gonna try walking. I'm sure it's a great car and many people wouldn't drive anything else. But the hatch has a face only its mamma could love. I don't hate it cuz it's British; I hate it cuz it's ugly and it scares my retinas And I'm sure sitting in the back seat is as claustrophobic as Buffalo Bill's well.

And I like that Meteorite Metallic on that sedan in the street pic posted recently. That might be a good change from the whites and silvers I generally have.

I don’t know I may like Hondas or some thing-

Attachments

·
Registered
795 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
@Hondaphile757 about the 11th Civic interior, do you think they could've done more?

Hyundai did this to the new Elantra and I wish Honda did something as exciting

·
Registered
511 Posts
The baby Accord front end and headlights give the Civic a handsome grown up look that looks well thought out and planned; the wide eyes of the headlights give the conservative front end some aggression. The snout of the current Civic is a hot mess. The headlights and grille create a very busy front end and I find the piano black gloss grille on the Sport/Si/Type R front look a bit cheap and low quality. What visually offends me are the giant fake vents/grilles and the body colored boundary barriers that break up the fake grille/vent into separate pointless areas instead of it being just one giant waste of space.

Based off the renderings of the dashboard, I'm really digging the clean design and the vent arrangement. It's clean, simple and effective. Mazda has really been nailing simple uncomplicated dashes in the 3 and Miata/MX5, and even the rebadged Mazda 2 Toyota Yaris. I hope the finalized interior isn't too far off from the rendering; we pretty much know by now that Honda concepts aren't too far off from the road going production models, usually with an aggressive paint job and rims that are available in other markets but not to us. I wasn't a fan of the Energy Green that looks like Split Pea Soup Green, but Tonic Yellow caught my eye the first time I saw it on a Sport Coupe in the show room.

I'm excited about the 11th gen CIvic. The concept sedan is a handsome car. I'm a hatchback/wagon guy from the first time Imy mom let me drive our 87 Civic Wagon that became my first car to my 86 Accord LXi manual hatchback, an 81 CM450A hondamatic motorcycle and my 86 Civic CRX Si and my 88 CRX Si, my 93 Accord EX manual sedan (all fancy like with a motorola car phone), my charcoal grey 93 Civic LX sedan, my 94 Civic Si hatch, our "Minivan of Fury" 2000 Odyssey LX that died at 372k, my 2003 919 (CB900F/Hornet) to my first brand new non-hand me down 08 Civic EX 5mt sedan that I regret trading in for my '11 CRZ EX 6mt to my current day Mommy Wagon 07 CRV EXL, my '14 CB500F ABS and self propelled electric start Honda push mower; I've been patiently waiting for the 11th gen. I didn't buy the black 2008 Civic Si sedan I wanted bought my first brand new car and had a car loan; the premium gas the Si required was the highest I've ever seen at $4/gallon, so I studied the brochure and decided I wanted a Tango Red Pearl EX manual sedan. I got a ridiculous offer from Fairfax Honda-a price beater dealership I worked at 9 years before. I questioned the internet sales manager and head sales manager confirming the offer amount before getting driving from VA Beach to Fairfax, fairly certain that I would get screwed over after making the drive up there (which almost happened when Finance didn't give me the 2.9APR because I had student loans). Even though FFX Honda was a price beater dealership, the offer price was below dealer invoice and holdback and I was sure something would go amuck and this deal was too good to be true. My salesman met me at my mom's apartment to take me to the dealership as I was giving her my Civic instead of trading it in adn she was out of town on business. We went to the dealership to get my keys and have them start the paperwork and were going to fetch my car from one of the 5 off site storage lots they rented. My car was in one of the garage locations parked with 3 other Tango Red Pearl EX sedans. My car was the only manual red EX sedan on that lot, but I understood how I was getting a stupid ridiculous deal on my new car when my salesman told me my car was the one with the August inspection, and it was May 8th. Apparently I was the only one who wanted a manual Tango Red pearl EX sedan and FFX Honda had been paying lot space rent for almost an entire year (10 months). I loved that car more than the Si I had wanted and just as much as my first Civic and I regret trading it in on my premium white pearl CRZ EX6MT. I've wanted to hit myself in the head with a frying pan for making that stupid decision, so I sat myself down and told myself: "Self, we're gonna get another brand new Civic. And we need to make sure we get the right one because we're keeping this one until they take our license and keys." And Honda REALLY staggered the release of the 10th gen; it seemed like a year went by after the sedan came out before the coupe arrived and even a bit longer than that before the hatch arrived. And manuals weren't available on EX-T's until 2017. I had narrowed it down to a Cosmic Blue EX-T manual sedan or a pearl white EX-T manual coupe until I drove a White Si Coupe then later a silver Si Sedan and I really couldn't figure out what would work best for me in the long run. And then the new Accord came out and I'm looking at the 2.0 Sport so I can have my moonroof and manual transmission, and between a Tonic Yellow Civic Sport coupe and a pearl white Accord Sport, I threw in the towel on which Civic do I want today? But I definately never wanted any model Civic hatchback. Nope. No thank you; you keep Kwazi-Moto; we're gonna try walking. I'm sure it's a great car and many people wouldn't drive anything else. But the hatch has a face only its mamma could love. I don't hate it cuz it's British; I hate it cuz it's ugly and it scares my retinas And I'm sure sitting in the back seat is as claustrophobic as Buffalo Bill's well.

And I like that Meteorite Metallic on that sedan in the street pic posted recently. That might be a good change from the whites and silvers I generally have.

I don’t know I may like Hondas or some thing-
Yeah I'm starting to get the sense you may like Hondas too :LOL:.

It's insane how much of a deal you can get on a new manual car if you can find one. At least you able to enjoy the heck out of that Tango Red Pearl Civic. A buddy of mine bought a brand new Hyundai Accent last fall and the salespeople were pretty much at his mercy to get the deal done because he was the only one that showed interest and they wanted it gone because it was the only manual they had.

Do you still have the CB500F? I hear those are great bikes to own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts