11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Civic LX 2022 (new purchase) just got its VIN today (build date 04/26 approx) and was informed by my dealer from Oakland Honda. Honda Build & Price Tool shows White Civic LX as 'In Transit'. I have seen guys claiming they've worked at Honda, and quite sure there are sever Honda enthusiasts here. Does anyone know what is the Route like from the Alliston Plant in Canada to California Bay Area? I Believe mine is coming from there coz the VIN indicates. Any estimate how many days it could take? I have seen people say it 'just shows up'. We're quite impatient to get our car coz we're planning a trip to LA on May 14th and this car could save tons of money on flight tickets or car rentals.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My Civic LX 2022 (new purchase) just got its VIN today (build date 04/26 approx) and was informed by my dealer from Oakland Honda. Honda Build & Price Tool shows White Civic LX as 'In Transit'. I have seen guys claiming they've worked at Honda, and quite sure there are sever Honda enthusiasts here. Does anyone know what is the Route like from the Alliston Plant in Canada to California Bay Area? I Believe mine is coming from there coz the VIN indicates. Any estimate how many days it could take? I have seen people say it 'just shows up'. We're quite impatient to get our car coz we're planning a trip to LA on May 14th and this car could save tons of money on flight tickets or car rentals.
I received my VIN on 4/1 and was lucky enough to get it on 4/15. Was told 2-3 weeks initially. It was the civic touring sedan. Also from the Alliston Plant in Canada. I think I was lucky that I got it so quick, but hopefully you’ll just be as lucky. Maybe you can get refundable airplane tix or refundable car reservation? Either way, congrats on your car! Post pics when you can!

·
Registered
30 Posts
As a follow up, I’m also on the Bay Area

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
427 Posts
If you have a VIN the hardest part is over, the car exists and will be physically transported to your dealership, so, congratulations!

Unfortunately, the question "will you be able to use this car for a road trip beginning May 14th", that is harder to answer.

It's a case of "it'll get there when it gets there". There are many variables in the shipping time, which is why they say 2-3 weeks, including how many other cars are being transported from the plant (was your car the last one on the truck and it's ready to roll, or the first one and waiting for more to be built to fill up?), where all the other cars on the truck are going to be dropped off along the way (it's not a set route like a train)...

Plus traffic, weather conditions, and even driver related delays (guy takes a day off to attend his daughter's dance recital like a good dad, or what have you). There is a shortage of truck drivers too, BTW, so the truck may even be fully loaded with cars and ready to go but with nobody to drive it for a few days.

On top of that, even after it arrives to the dealership, you don't get it right away. The dealer usually has it for a day or two, to do PPI and whatnot, and of course when you go to pick it up is when they finalize all the paperwork and financing, and usually that is when they corner you for at least an hour to give you the pitch on extended warranties, service contracts, and what have you, before you actually get the keys.

So if your road trip means setting out the morning of Saturday May 14, you'd need to be driving the car from the dealer no later than Friday May 13th (dun dun DUNNNN), which would mean it needs to arrive there at least the morning of Thursday May 12th or afternoon of Wed May 11th, ... which is very possible, being three weeks after the build date, but not something you can count on 100%.

If it were me, I'd chance it, and hope that in the worst case, I get the car in hand on Saturday May 14th instead of Friday the 13th and now I just drive faster to LA. LOL

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would think it is shipped by rail to a central location in the western USA, possibly Denver, and then off-loaded to a truck to be delivered a more specific location such as the Bay Area… if you look at google maps, the Allison plant has a large rail facility for stuff coming in and going out…someone else may know better than I… also if the port of entry into the USA is listed as Buffalo on the window paper, then it would be rail as a truck to western USA would go through Detroit

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If you have a VIN the hardest part is over, the car exists and will be physically transported to your dealership, so, congratulations!

Unfortunately, the question "will you be able to use this car for a road trip beginning May 14th", that is harder to answer.

It's a case of "it'll get there when it gets there". There are many variables in the shipping time, which is why they say 2-3 weeks, including how many other cars are being transported from the plant (was your car the last one on the truck and it's ready to roll, or the first one and waiting for more to be built to fill up?), where all the other cars on the truck are going to be dropped off along the way (it's not a set route like a train)...

Plus traffic, weather conditions, and even driver related delays (guy takes a day off to attend his daughter's dance recital like a good dad, or what have you). There is a shortage of truck drivers too, BTW, so the truck may even be fully loaded with cars and ready to go but with nobody to drive it for a few days.

On top of that, even after it arrives to the dealership, you don't get it right away. The dealer usually has it for a day or two, to do PPI and whatnot, and of course when you go to pick it up is when they finalize all the paperwork and financing, and usually that is when they corner you for at least an hour to give you the pitch on extended warranties, service contracts, and what have you, before you actually get the keys.

So if your road trip means setting out the morning of Saturday May 14, you'd need to be driving the car from the dealer no later than Friday May 13th (dun dun DUNNNN), which would mean it needs to arrive there at least the morning of Thursday May 12th or afternoon of Wed May 11th, ... which is very possible, being three weeks after the build date, but not something you can count on 100%.

If it were me, I'd chance it, and hope that in the worst case, I get the car in hand on Saturday May 14th instead of Friday the 13th and now I just drive faster to LA. LOL
Thank you for the very elaborate response. I searched from Alliston Plant to Oakland in Google. Says that by bike, it would take 10 days. A truck must be faster, no? But you raised some really great points like the loading of a car into the truck, something I wouldn't have thought of. And about the day of pickup, I need to make a separate post, about what processes to expect on day of pickup and what to look out for, in order not to be talked into overpaying.

So currently, when I saw the sheet that the dealer sent me, the status had 2 types. ASN, I believe means Advance Shipping Notification, from what I googled. It prolly means it hasn't actually been shipped yet, but ready for. Mine was in SHP category, which probably means shipped, but doesn't have an ETA. I just discussed with my wife. We need to be in LA 15th May 6AM morning for a Marathon my wife's participating in. So we decided we'll take our chance, see if the car arrives, if not, rent a car. Flight prices seems not refund friendly and are a little pricey.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would think it is shipped by rail to a central location in the western USA, possibly Denver, and then off-loaded to a truck to be delivered a more specific location such as the Bay Area… if you look at google maps, the Allison plant has a large rail facility for stuff coming in and going out…someone else may know better than I… also if the port of entry into the USA is listed as Buffalo on the window paper, then it would be rail as a truck to western USA would go through Detroit
What's this window paper? I have seen some kinda inventory sheet or Order Details sheet, but don't think I was shown the Window Paper.

·
Registered
427 Posts
FWIW, rather than to rent a car on short notice if it becomes apparent that your Civic is not going to be in hand by May 14th (which may be difficult/expensive to do), how about taking the Bolt Bus (or FlixBus, as it appears to have become)?

It's basically an express bus and about $82 each way for two people. At $165-170 round trip plus some Ubering around LA, it's not too bad.

Especially compared with $110 or so on fuel costs for about an 800 mile or journey and upwards of 6.5 hours of driving each way (on a new car you're still breaking in, and by some recommendations at least, not supposed to be doing steady highway cruising for long duration...).

Certainly it's something you could jump on at the last minute in case the car doesn't com in time - right now I can still see plenty of seats for all their SF-LA busses for tomorrow (Saturday 4/30), I'd imagine Saturday 5/14 would be no different. Something you can't do with an airplane ticket.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
(on a new car you're still breaking in, and by some recommendations at least, not supposed to be doing steady highway cruising for long duration...).
Can you explain this part? You mean to say it's not advisable on a personal level to drive that long, or the car isn't suited for that.. Didn't exactly get what you're conveying.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My civic was produced about 12 days before it arrived at the dealer from the factory. It was built 157 miles from the dealer. In doing some looking, the vehicle went from the plant to a centralized lot in the Chicago area then eventually to my dealer (minimum of 590 mile journey, likely more due to other stops). I think the only way to know the path for sure would be to find a mule in the plant to place an air tag on it. That would be a cool thing to watch! The air tag video where they ship tags to N. Korea is great BTW.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Can you explain this part? You mean to say it's not advisable on a personal level to drive that long, or the car isn't suited for that.. Didn't exactly get what you're conveying.
Many car “experts” have long advised against breaking in a brand new car with a long, steady speed highway drive - that varying engine RPMs is vital to properly sealing the piston rings, or somesuch.

Of course there are many different words of advice out there on this topic, ranging from “The Italian Break-In” (redline it frequently, ASAP) to “baby it under 3000 RPM for the first 500 miles”, so which you go with is up to you.

FWIW my 2022 Civic’s manual doesn’t mention that, on p 455-6 it just says:

During the first 600 miles (1,000 km) of operation,
avoid sudden acceleration or full throttle operation so
as not to damage the engine or powertrain.

Avoid hard braking for the first 200 miles (300 km)
after purchasing your new vehicle or replacing the
brake pads or rotors, to allow for proper break-in.

And often I read that most concerns about “oh no if you don’t break the engine in properly it’ll be ruined by 100,000 miles” are largely things of the past, that modern designs allow you basically to just drive it normally right off the lot (but not to redline it for a while, if you’re into that kind of thing).

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Latest update on my Civic 2022 is that it is in New Mexico. The Order Detail sheet at the start had Ontario(ON) from where it was shipped. Now it has been updated to 'NM'. Just curious, since it is only a couple of states away from Oakland, California, anyone has any idea how long it'd take? Is it in some rail yard, or on a truck station?

·
Registered
427 Posts
Latest update on my Civic 2022 is that it is in New Mexico. The Order Detail sheet at the start had Ontario(ON) from where it was shipped. Now it has been updated to 'NM'. Just curious, since it is only a couple of states away from Oakland, California, anyone has any idea how long it'd take? Is it in some rail yard, or on a truck station?

If it was in New Mexico on or before May 7th, it should get to you in CA by the 14th, probably sooner.

Interesting that it went from Ontario to NM en route to Northern CA though

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

If it was in New Mexico on or before May 7th, it should get to you in CA by the 14th, probably sooner.

Interesting that it went from Ontario to NM en route to Northern CA though
I see. I feel like 1 week from NM to CA is pretty long. BTW, are trucks carrying commercial vehicles allowed to travel only at night? I think that's what I saw in an official port. of entry kinda website.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I see. I feel like 1 week from NM to CA is pretty long. BTW, are trucks carrying commercial vehicles allowed to travel only at night? I think that's what I saw in an official port. of entry kinda website.
The problem is you still have no idea what this driver's route is (or whatever means is transporting this car to your dealership).

It could be on a truck that is then going to a train (to LA) that will go to another train (to SF) and then get loaded on a truck to your dealer, who knows?

And if the train gets robbed somewhere west of Sante Fe by The New Dalton Gang and their crew of hatchback rustlers, well, whaddya gonna do?

·
Registered
427 Posts
That was on May 7th which was this past Saturday, now it's Thursday... How's it looking for getting this car in time to drive it on Saturday the 14th? Crossing my fingers for you!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That was on May 7th which was this past Saturday, now it's Thursday... How's it looking for getting this car in time to drive it on Saturday the 14th? Crossing my fingers for you!
The Order Details sheet updates around 9-10am PST. Will give the dealer a call at 10:30am to check out. I feel like it may get pushed to tomorrow. Hoping for the best. Thanks for your good will buddy! Appreciate it!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts