11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed my dash cam and if you're like and HATE an obstructed view / the wires, big obvious cameras on the front windshield, etc I may have the set up for you. I am going to post the video I just made showing it off, let me know what you think!! It is a rough video with no edits because I am not a creator but I am hoping I can inspire one of my fellow 11th gen owners out there. The whole job took about 2 hours of my time with the longest part of it being finding places to hide the wires. Below is the link to the video and the stuff I used. If you have any questions, please ask!
The products I used:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B096324FLX?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0887GP791?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details
1 Pair Right Left 90 Degree Angle Micro USB Male to Micro USB Female Adapter
Sumind 2 Pack Micro USB Extension Cable 10ft/ 3m Male to Female Extender Cord for Zmodo Wireless Security Camera Flat Power Cable, Cable Clips Included (Black)

·
Registered
700 Posts
I just installed my dash cam and if you're like and HATE an obstructed view / the wires, big obvious cameras on the front windshield, etc I may have the set up for you. I am going to post the video I just made showing it off, let me know what you think!! It is a rough video with no edits because I am not a creator but I am hoping I can inspire one of my fellow 11th gen owners out there. The whole job took about 2 hours of my time with the longest part of it being finding places to hide the wires. Below is the link to the video and the stuff I used. If you have any questions, please ask!
The products I used:
Amazon.com: AUTOWOEL 4K Dash Cam Front and Rear, Dual Dash Cam with WiFi and Built-in GPS, Car Camera Recorder with UHD 3840x2160P, 2.45" LCD,170°Wide Angle, WDR Night Vision, G-Sensor, Max Support 128GB
Amazon.com: SAMSUNG: EVO Select 128GB MicroSDXC UHS-I U3 100MB/s Full HD & 4K UHD Memory Card with Adapter (MB-ME128HA): Computers & Accessories
1 Pair Right Left 90 Degree Angle Micro USB Male to Micro USB Female Adapter
Sumind 2 Pack Micro USB Extension Cable 10ft/ 3m Male to Female Extender Cord for Zmodo Wireless Security Camera Flat Power Cable, Cable Clips Included (Black)

Thanks for sharing the video @Jolly95! What convinced you to go with this camera over the others available?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Thanks for posting this! I'll have to give this a much more thorough watch after I get my hatchback... though rear cameras on hatchbacks are presumably trickier.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Excellent install video @Jolly95. What other upgrades are you planning to make?
@ngl8001 did you already take delivery of your EX?
I got the touring. I just purchased the torque solutions blow off adapter off Amazon to see if it’ll fit this model year - I’m 99% sure it will because they haven’t changed much with the engine but I want to make sure, so I bought with Amazon knowing their return policy is awesome. I will be tuning with Hondata as soon as they release their 11th gen tune. Oh and I like induction noise so I’ll also get a decent air intake once that comes out as well. I also plan on getting a nicer set of brake pads and eventually rotors once I take it auto crossing. Also, better tires to reduce the road noise. I just bought these interior ambient lights off Amazon to see how they look and if I like them. It’ll post pictures of the lights if they look good/ decide to keep them. Otherwise, I’m not sure. I already ceramic coated it myself but other than that, nothing much has been released for it yet so I’m not sure!

·
Registered
119 Posts
It seems camera is really good deal considering price vs. features.
I have to watch clip few more times to get all tricks and tips.

Question: do you power front and back camera from only one DC source?

I will have more questions but lets go one by one...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It seems camera is really good deal considering price vs. features.
I have to watch clip few more times to get all tricks and tips.

Question: do you power front and back camera from only one DC source?

I will have more questions but lets go one by one...
Yup the power is supplied by a 12v outlet at the front and then ran to the back of the car via micro usb extension cables that I have an Amazon link to in my original post. You will not need these extensions if you choose to use the main camera to the front windshield instead of the rear like I have it. The other camera has one cord that supplies power and video that plugs directly into the main camera so no additional outlet is needed. This cord is a bit longer than the power cable so I didn’t need additional cables to run the wire to the back of the car.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yup the power is supplied by a 12v outlet
I definitely like your 2 cameras set up. Recently I was watching all those 'crash dashcam' videos on youtube and dashcam is a MUST on any continent. not only on NA.
1. Why did you not decide to take power from the rearview mirror? I am sure there should be 12V there as you start the car.
2. Why did you not run cables on passengers' side only and put back camera on right corner. Somehow your cables go all over the car.
I was thinking one cable to power front and back and little bit of soldering to get cable to 12V outlet.
And running cables through back seats - kind of awkward as they can get in a way if you lower any of those 60/40 down.
Nevertheless, very neat how you hid cables. Just a little bit more work and cables will be invisible.
Maybe when you get brave enough you could run cables through the roof... I think I have seen youtube where guy did that.
But, Bravo for your accomplished project!
Oh, and BTW, can you post one-two videos from both cameras just to see picture quality?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I definitely like your 2 cameras set up. Recently I was watching all those 'crash dashcam' videos on youtube and dashcam is a MUST on any continent. not only on NA.
1. Why did you not decide to take power from the rearview mirror? I am sure there should be 12V there as you start the car.
2. Why did you not run cables on passengers' side only and put back camera on right corner. Somehow your cables go all over the car.
I was thinking one cable to power front and back and little bit of soldering to get cable to 12V outlet.
And running cables through back seats - kind of awkward as they can get in a way if you lower any of those 60/40 down.
Nevertheless, very neat how you hid cables. Just a little bit more work and cables will be invisible.
Maybe when you get brave enough you could run cables through the roof... I think I have seen youtube where guy did that.
But, Bravo for your accomplished project!
Oh, and BTW, can you post one-two videos from both cameras just to see picture quality?
1) To answer your first question, I did not want to remove anything with the camera unit near the rear view mirror to access and use power from that unit because I did not want to break it.
2) I wanted to make the camera visible as little as possible so I stuck it on the drivers side so that my headrest/ my head blocks most of it lol
I didn’t want to solder the wires together because it carries both video and power in the one cable so I didn’t want to mess with that. On top of that, trying to hide the cables on the same side was harder due to a lack of space under the panels.
I was concerned about having those cables when folding down the seats but I’ll show you a picture of how they look when they are folded down. And I’ll send videos of the quality as well when I get a chance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey all. Doing a hardwire dash cam setup as well. I want to route the cable behind the A-pillar trim, but I'm afraid to remove it. Can someone tell me what type of clips are holding the trim, and/or how to remove them?

Thank you,

·
Registered
119 Posts
Hey all. Doing a hardwire dash cam setup as well. I want to route the cable behind the A-pillar trim, but I'm afraid to remove it. Can someone tell me what type of clips are holding the trim, and/or how to remove them?
It is smart move to hide wires but...
I do not think there are enough brave new owners to start disassembling this car. Maybe if you get friendly with Honda technician at your dealership, he/she might provide some tips? Or to buy service manual?
Anyway, I am sure a lot of people would like to see your project completed and pictures and description provided.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I installed the cameras from my trade-in the day I bought my car home. I didn't hardwire it but the wires were easy to push in between the panels and took me about 30 mins. Just need to use the little plastic tool that usually comes with the camera, or pick one up at Autozone/ Riley's

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got the touring. I just purchased the torque solutions blow off adapter off Amazon to see if it’ll fit this model year - I’m 99% sure it will because they haven’t changed much with the engine but I want to make sure, so I bought with Amazon knowing their return policy is awesome. I will be tuning with Hondata as soon as they release their 11th gen tune. Oh and I like induction noise so I’ll also get a decent air intake once that comes out as well. I also plan on getting a nicer set of brake pads and eventually rotors once I take it auto crossing. Also, better tires to reduce the road noise. I just bought these interior ambient lights off Amazon to see how they look and if I like them. It’ll post pictures of the lights if they look good/ decide to keep them. Otherwise, I’m not sure. I already ceramic coated it myself but other than that, nothing much has been released for it yet so I’m not sure!
Did the BOV fit?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts