11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Somebody asked that before in this forum...
I believe the answer was - it is normal and it will go away when engine warms up.
I did not see rationale why this indicator is needed as don't you want cool cooling liquid?? For further info look at page 100 in your owners manual (obviously you guys did NOT read it :) ha, ha).

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Somebody asked that before in this forum...
I believe the answer was - it is normal and it will go away when engine warms up.
I did not see rationale why this indicator is needed as don't you want cool cooling liquid?? For further info look at page 100 in your owners manual (obviously you guys did NOT read it :) ha, ha).
thanks and no i did not read it to be honest lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
Quite to the contrary, you want coolant temperature up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This may seem odd, but is believed to have contributed to the CR-V/Civic 1.5 turbo oil dilution problem that you may have heard of.
Too cool of intake charge does not atomize well leading to droplets of fuel to "drop out" of suspension and cause unburned fuel to puddle in the cylinders and cause cylinder washing and accelerated ring wear. WardsAuto reports, Honda spokesman Chris Martin says updates involve transmission and engine software changes that allow the engine to warm up quicker, reducing the possibility of un-evaporated fuel collecting in the engine oil early in the drive cycle. Ignition timing, CVT control, and air-conditioning operations are modified to help the engine warm up and retain heat.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport SGP
18 Posts
Quite to the contrary, you want coolant temperature up to operating temperature as quickly as possible. This may seem odd, but is believed to have contributed to the CR-V/Civic 1.5 turbo oil dilution problem that you may have heard of.
Too cool of intake charge does not atomize well leading to droplets of fuel to "drop out" of suspension and cause unburned fuel to puddle in the cylinders and cause cylinder washing and accelerated ring wear. WardsAuto reports, Honda spokesman Chris Martin says updates involve transmission and engine software changes that allow the engine to warm up quicker, reducing the possibility of un-evaporated fuel collecting in the engine oil early in the drive cycle. Ignition timing, CVT control, and air-conditioning operations are modified to help the engine warm up and retain heat.
So that's the correct thing to do? Wait until the symbol disappears before driving?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport SGP
18 Posts
I believe it indicates that your engine isn’t warm enough or close enough to normal operating temperature. So just take it easy while that light is on. It will be interesting to see how long that is on this winter.
I find this real odd. Everytime I start my car it's a guarantee that this light will be on if it's a cold start or hasn't been on in less than in hour or so, and it's summer. I can only imagine this in winter. I find it hard to believe that a car in 2022 would be made with such an inconvenience. Maybe this is something not normal and will lead to a recall?

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport SGP
18 Posts

Straight from the owner's manual. Correct me if I'm wrong but I interpret this as only being an issue IF the indicator stays on. @roymerperez_yt maybe you can ask the service advisors at your dealership when an opportunity arises? Is it safe to drive if this indicator appears at startup and disappears within a few minutes of driving or is waiting for it to disappear BEFORE driving required.

·
Registered
139 Posts
View attachment 2610
Straight from the owner's manual. Correct me if I'm wrong but I interpret this as only being an issue IF the indicator stays on. @roymerperez_yt maybe you can ask the service advisors at your dealership when an opportunity arises? Is it safe to drive if this indicator appears at startup and disappears within a few minutes of driving or is waiting for it to disappear BEFORE driving required.
As per manual, indicator stays on until engine reaches normal operating temp. I doubt anybody will wait few minutes before driving for engine to reach 'normal operating temp'. That would mean idling and wasting gas and time.
Considering all comments above, I would say take it easy, be light on gas pedal, no hard accelerations.

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
199 Posts
Some of ya'll never drove a 9th gen and it shows, lol. This indicator light is completely normal. An engine, at normal operating temp is way hotter than the ambient air temp, so even on a hot summer day, the engine isn't going to start up warm enough to already be normal operating temp... even the 10th gens which have a normal temp gauge start with zero bars on start up. The light goes off after a couple of minutes (obvious this will vary in time depending on how warm it is outside). But as long as it turns off after a few minutes (or several if its REALLY cold out) then all is fine. Drive as normal.

If you haven't been babying your cars until they reach operating temp thus far, there's zero reason to start with this car just because it has a light instead of a full gauge (obviously full throttle from a stop maybe isn't the best practice until things get warmed up, but that seems like common sense).

And obviously, if the other indicator light comes on (a red one I think) then you're running hot for some reason, then may be a good time to head to the shop.

·
Registered
18 Posts
More than likely, being tied into total engine management including timing, fuel management and so forth, it's just a part of the sum of all sensor input to the ECM. The reason that it is included as an indicator, just might also be an indication (if it stays on) that the coolant thermostat is possibly either partially stuck or fully stuck in the OPEN position or it's opening rate is outside of design parameters, which as a driver would be hard to determine. I would not be concerned unless it stays on after driving a few minutes/miles nor would I feel it necessary to warm it up before driving (reasonably at first).
Dave.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts