11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed that some of the EX sedans have VINs that begin with J but I haven't heard anything about them being built in Japan.
Has anyone else seen this?

·
Registered
718 Posts
I've noticed that some of the EX sedans have VINs that begin with J but I haven't heard anything about them being built in Japan.
Hey @GR4H4M the first J in the VIN just means that it's a Honda. It doesn't refer to where it was built, that's one of the later parts of the VIN.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No. The first character denotes country of origin. 1,4,5 is the US, 2 is Canada, 3 is Mexico, K is Korea, W is Germany, Z is Italy, S is England, J is Japan, etc.

·
Registered
13 Posts
My EX was built in the Yorii, Japan plant. Interesting for sure considering these sedans aren't being sold in the Japan market. Maybe Honda just had some excess capacity in that plant?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah it seems like there are a few EXs that were assembled in Japan. I've seen a few more online and a window sticker that confirmed it.
I would expect that they made a few over there while they were ramping up production in Canada. Wonder if we'll see the same thing with the hatchbacks. If they're due in dealerships soon but they just started production in the US there must be some already produced out there somewhere.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Quite amazed at the difference of opinions on what one would think would be a straightforward topic. Thanks to ps2sunvalley for setting it straight.

As far as the Civics made in Japan, long time Honda followers know that it is quite common that for the kickoff of a new model, Japan many times initially supplements the North American production. I have purchased a couple of "rare" Japan made Honda's myself, since I tend to buy in the first few months of a new model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah if I can get a J hatchback I'll be pretty happy. I've never had a Honda built outside Japan and while I trust the process I'd prefer the import.

·
Registered
86 Posts
My last EX was Japan, this EX is Canada. Not happy with the quality, interior door panel is like coming off on both sides. It just feels like it was rushed
My EX was also built in Canada and quality is also not so great. I know you should not have to do this to a new car, but I eneded up taking my door cards off and securing all the fasteners. I kid you not all of the fasteners were not set to any spec as they were all loose, even the door handle latch. This took care of all the squeaks and rattles coming from my doors, but the only one left is the really loose window regulator that is flopping inside the door.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts