11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I get my car washed (not by hand, a regular drive through carwash), can I leave the wipers down, in the position they are normally in when it is not raining? Or should I be putting them in some other position?

I read once something about the "maintenance position" where the wipers are up and off the windshield. And some odd way to make that happen, turning the car on then off and then using the mist setting. But I am assuming that is mostly to change the wiper blades or to have full access to the windshield, as in if the windshield were being replaced. Is that right? Anything I need to do before I give my new Civic its first bath? Thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
When I get my car washed (not by hand, a regular drive through carwash), can I leave the wipers down, in the position they are normally in when it is not raining? Or should I be putting them in some other position?

I read once something about the "maintenance position" where the wipers are up and off the windshield. And some odd way to make that happen, turning the car on then off and then using the mist setting. But I am assuming that is mostly to change the wiper blades or to have full access to the windshield, as in if the windshield were being replaced. Is that right? Anything I need to do before I give my new Civic its first bath? Thanks!
As you said, maintenance mode is for changing blades or otherwise lifting the wipers off the windshield, so that they don’t contact the hood.

For a car wash, just drive in.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I stopped using automatic car washes because most of the time they scratch your car.
What is a touchless carwash? The ones around us -- at least those I know of -- have various brushes and the like that touch the car.
Most of the time those brushes scratch the car. I’ve had my car for about 3 months and it’s been hand washed since day 1.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is this a problem unique to the new Civics? I have put cars through carwashes for 40+ years, and I remember only once having a car scratched in the carwash. (And in that instance, the carwash owner paid for the repair -- though not until I told him I was about to file suit in small claims court if he declined).

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
183 Posts
Is this a problem unique to the new Civics? I have put cars through carwashes for 40+ years, and I remember only once having a car scratched in the carwash. (And in that instance, the carwash owner paid for the repair -- though not until I told him I was about to file suit in small claims court if he declined).
It's always been a problem, but even more so with basecoat, clearcoat paint. Any debris, silt, dirt and particles get trapped in the brushes and put swirl marks in the paint. You can especially see them on darker cars and when bright lights or bright sun is shining down on the vehicle.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts