11th Gen Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering a Honda Civic for long-term ownership and want to know if it will last at least 20 years. Has anyone here owned a Civic that long? What year and model was it? How reliable was it compared to other cars you owned?

·
Registered
239 Posts
Definitely. I owned an Acura 1.6 EL (basically a Honda Civic) for 21 years.

I replaced a fair amount of stuff over that time. Basically the entire suspension, but that's a LOT cheaper than buying a second car.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Think about it this way, do you see any 2000 Civics on the road now? I get there aren't a LOT of them... but you definitely still see them

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Think about it this way, do you see any 2000 Civics on the road now? I get there aren't a LOT of them... but you definitely still see them
Good point.

I still see them and very high mileage ones that could use some bodywork. It seems to hold true for many Japanese cars from the 90's but it seems like moving into the 00's there has been an increase in transmission issues and others you wouldn't expect from Honda. Still better odds compared to most vehicles out there.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought a '98 Civic in 2000, and sold it in 2019. It needed non-maintenance repair once - I replaced a thermostat, $20 at the dealership. Other than that it was just liquids and occasional brakes and mufflers . At the end it was still running fine, just an overdue timing belt, and slipping clutch.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts