11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering a Honda Civic for long-term ownership and want to know if it will last at least 20 years. Has anyone here owned a Civic that long? What year and model was it? How reliable was it compared to other cars you owned?

· Registered
901 Posts
Definitely. I owned an Acura 1.6 EL (basically a Honda Civic) for 21 years.

I replaced a fair amount of stuff over that time. Basically the entire suspension, but that's a LOT cheaper than buying a second car.

· Registered
1,599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Think about it this way, do you see any 2000 Civics on the road now? I get there aren't a LOT of them... but you definitely still see them
Good point.

I still see them and very high mileage ones that could use some bodywork. It seems to hold true for many Japanese cars from the 90's but it seems like moving into the 00's there has been an increase in transmission issues and others you wouldn't expect from Honda. Still better odds compared to most vehicles out there.

· Registered
341 Posts
I bought a '98 Civic in 2000, and sold it in 2019. It needed non-maintenance repair once - I replaced a thermostat, $20 at the dealership. Other than that it was just liquids and occasional brakes and mufflers . At the end it was still running fine, just an overdue timing belt, and slipping clutch.

· Registered
1,805 Posts
A few months ago I sold a 96 Honda Prelude, it still drove like it was brand new, on factory suspension, the motor was whisper quiet and smooth. Before that I sold a 2000 Acura GS-R about 2 years ago, that was also in mint condition and also drove like it was still new, on factory suspension and motor was super strong and smooth. I never owned a Civic that old but they can certainly go the distance.

I never owned a boosted motor that long,only NA. I don't know what parts will eventually give out within 20 years on a boosted motor, something tells me they will need more repairs and maintenance.

· Registered
13 Posts
I own a 2005 Civic Ex. It could still last a bit longer but I don't want to pay for repairs. It's got an oil leak, cheap tint peeling and bubbling, tires need replacing, AC needs to be recharged, water leak in the dash and etc. All fixable but not worth the return on the car. I've really neglected it though. Only did oil changes. Not driving it for nearly 2 years didn't help. I just swapped out the battery.

It's going on the for sale as is, once I get around to cleaning it.

· Registered
94 Posts
I had a 2007 accord for 12 years and 168,000 miles. It really didn’t need much. Taught my 2 boys how to drive stick on it, and let my oldest take it over for the last 2 years we owned it. He managed to kill the transmission differential when he got stuck in snow, but the person who bought it from us was going to fix it since there were plenty of junkyard low mileage transmissions available for under $500. Buying a high volume car means replacement parts are abundant and reasonably priced. Besides that transmission, just about everything else was in great condition still. The AC was still freezing cold without having done anything to it, engine was burning a little oil as that issue was typical with the 2.4 liter engines from that era. Mostly just tires/brakes/battery expenses over that time. If 20 years is your goal, get a base model without the turbocharged engine and get a 6 speed instead of the CVT.

· Registered
547 Posts
I have a 2007 Civic that still runs perfectly. The only thing that had to be replaced other than the usual maintenance was the fuel pump. It went out just over 100K miles. As long as you keep it well maintained and don't drive it like a race car it should pretty easily last 20 yrs.

· Registered
38 Posts
Owned a new 2001 accord. 385k miles until my nephew totaled it a year ago. Owned a 95 civic and sold 15 years later at 200k miles and it still ran strong. Paint job was really peeling at that point. Only car that I sold in disrepair was to my mechanic this year. A 2006 Acura MDX but that had 280k miles. Head gasket among other issues. Honda makes great quality cars if you take care of the fluids and maintenance.

· Registered
547 Posts
A well maintained Honda/ Acura will get 200k miles easy. The reason you don't see many 20 year old civics on the road is because they generally fall into the wrong hands and get beat to shit.
Very true. They are fairly inexpensive cars and go thru several owners. After a few owners, people stop caring about their car and drive the heck out of them and don't maintain them.

· Registered
61 Posts
My husband drives my 25 year old 1997 civic lx daily to save money on gas. It was our back up car until my Ford Edge was totaled last year. It has around 210,000 miles and is a manual. Knock on wood she has always been reliable! I have a 2022 civic sport being delivered to the dealer next week but to be honest I don’t expect it to last as long as my current one. For one thing I feel manuals last longer (was not happy that the civic sedans don’t come in a manual) and I also cars and other things just aren’t built like they use to be.

· Registered
2017 Civic Hatchback Sport MT
248 Posts
My 2002 Accord only made it 10 years, just under 200K miles, before needing about $5K in engine repair (a bunch of sensors toasted... expensive to find and repair!). Damn, that was a mighty fine car though.

· Registered
2023 Civic Lx Sedan
17 Posts
They CAN last 20 years but PROBABLY won’t. My guess is fewer than 10% of the 2022s will still be on the road in 2042. Those that survive will be babied.

Not to forget that Hondas are not as reliable as they were in the 1980s and 1990s. I doubt that the CVTs and electronics of the modern cars will be as durable as the simpler cars from 20+ years ago.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts