11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These are the steps I used for removal of the bumper cover, tail lights and bumper reinforcement bar, and installation of a class 1 1-1/4” hitch on my 2022 civic sport sedan. The hitch I bought is listed as being compatible with the 10th gen, model years 2016-2021, but it fits the '22 sedan just fine with no modifications. At the time of installing it there were no advertised hitch options for the 2022 model. I am not sure of the fitment of any other manufacturer’s hitches or hatchback fitment. I also don't have any instructions for wiring a light connector harness because I'm using this hitch to carry my bikes.

The hitch manufacturer's installation instructions available on their website mostly applies except for the bumper cover removal process and the bumper cover cutout size.

Time Required: ~1-2 hrs

Parts Required:
Hitch Part: Draw-Tite 24954

Tools Required:
Ramps (or Jack and Jackstands)
Wheel Chock
Ruler
Tape Measure
Marker
Screwdriver (Philips #1 stubby)
Plastic trim pry bar
Tin Snips
Utility Knife
Drill with ½” drill bit
8mm and 10mm socket
12mm wrench or socket with breaker bar/ratchet
13mm socket
Torque Wrench
Gloves (optional)
Anti-Seize (optional)
Rust Preventative (optional)

Step 1. Safely lift the rear end of the car, either using a jack and jack stands or ramps. Be sure to chock the front wheel first and do this on level ground.

Step 2. Remove the (8) steel #1 Phillips screws and (2) plastic fasteners holding the bumper cover in place. There are four plastic fasteners that hold some trim pieces to the bumper cover over the exhaust pipe, those can stay. There are (4) steel screws on each wheel well that are accessible with a stubby screwdriver.

two screws in plain sight

one at the bottom corner

one at the top facing up where the bumper meets the fender

one of the two plastic fasteners to remove

Step 3. Open the trunk and using a plastic trim pry tool, remove the plastic dust covers on the side of the tail lights. Remove the (2) 10mm bolts, one on each side of the bumper. If your car is equipped with parking sensors make sure to unplug the wire harness.

this is where the parking sensors should plug in, one per side, I think. I have the sport trim, not so equipped.

Step 4. Remove the tail lights. The tail lights cover some of the tabs you will need to access to release the bumper cover. Remove the (2) 8mm bolts per tail light. These are the black hex screws that also have a Phillips drive. Carefully loosen the light pulling the light away and to the side of the car (not towards the back) and the plastic pins will release from the grommets. Unplug the two cable connectors and remove the clip holding the harness to the light. Set the tail lights aside.

the passenger side is shown, but same process for the driver side light.

Step 5. Un clip the bumper cover. Using the plastic pry tool carefully separate the bumper cover from the car where it meets the rear fenders and the tabs below the tail lights. be careful removing the tabs as using too much force can damage the soft plastic of the bumper cover. The tabs are located below the tail light areas and where the fender meets the bumper. I started releasing the tabs from the wheel well, working my way inwards to the tail light tabs. Once those are removed on each side the bumper will simply pop out. I forgot to grab a photo here, but videos online of the 10th gen bumper removal show the process pretty well.

Step 6. Using a 12mm wrench or breaker bar/socket, remove the (8) bolts holding the bumper reinforcement bar to the chassis. Lift and remove the bar.

Step 7 (Optional). Apply rust inhibitor to the bumper reinforcement bar, hitch, and chassis. I did this because the winter time salt spray in my area decimates steel

Step 8. Install the hitch and reinforcement bar together with the supplied bolts. Once aligned, the flange on the chassis will hold the parts loosely in place while you get the bolts started. Torque the 13mm bolts down to 20ft-lbs. I used anti seize compound on the bolts here since they too will be exposed to salt spray.

Step 9. Cut the bumper cover to fit the hitch receiver. I measured 3-1/2” back from the bottom edge, and 2-1/2” wide. I didn’t follow the hitch manufacturer instructions here, they said to cut 4-1/8” back for the 10th gen civic which would have left a bit more of a gap in front of the hitch. I used a marker to trace the outline and a drill to start the corner holes. Then cut with a pair of tin snips.

the bumper cover comes embossed with a little center mark for reference

Step 10. Check fitment of the bumper cover around the installed hitch

Bumper Cover Reinstallation: follow the steps starting at 5 in reverse order. Be very careful installing the (2) 10mm bolts for the bumper because they have a shoulder that centers in the hole of the bumper cover. It needs to be perfectly aligned so it doesn’t sandwich the cover under the shoulder and cut into the bumper cover. Also, when re-installing the tail lights, line up the two plastic pins and then push them in until they "pop" back in place, then reinstall the two screws per light.

this is the shoulder bolt for the bumper cover

this was the end result. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, because there’s no exposed cross beam hanging under the bumper. It’s a bit of work but hides as much as possible.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Great write up! I'm surprised this forum doesn't have a dedicated DIY section, as this is quality content. What type of bikes do you have?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great write up! I'm surprised this forum doesn't have a dedicated DIY section, as this is quality content. What type of bikes do you have?
Thanks! I have a vintage road bike, an ebike and a hybrid that I’m on the fence about repairing/selling. The hitch rack is nice for the ebike which is 40 lbs.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've been waiting on a Draw-Tite hitch, glad this one fits! Thanks for the detailed instructions, I just ordered it and hope to get it installed soon!

·
Registered
706 Posts
These are the steps I used for removal of the bumper cover, tail lights and bumper reinforcement bar, and installation of a class 1 1-1/4” hitch on my 2022 civic sport sedan. The hitch I bought is listed as being compatible with the 10th gen, model years 2016-2021, but it fits the '22 sedan just fine with no modifications. At the time of installing it there were no advertised hitch options for the 2022 model. I am not sure of the fitment of any other manufacturer’s hitches or hatchback fitment. I also don't have any instructions for wiring a light connector harness because I'm using this hitch to carry my bikes.

The hitch manufacturer's installation instructions available on their website mostly applies except for the bumper cover removal process and the bumper cover cutout size.

Time Required: ~1-2 hrs

Parts Required:
Hitch Part: Draw-Tite 24954

Tools Required:
Ramps (or Jack and Jackstands)
Wheel Chock
Ruler
Tape Measure
Marker
Screwdriver (Philips #1 stubby)
Plastic trim pry bar
Tin Snips
Utility Knife
Drill with ½” drill bit
8mm and 10mm socket
12mm wrench or socket with breaker bar/ratchet
13mm socket
Torque Wrench
Gloves (optional)
Anti-Seize (optional)
Rust Preventative (optional)

Step 1. Safely lift the rear end of the car, either using a jack and jack stands or ramps. Be sure to chock the front wheel first and do this on level ground.

Step 2. Remove the (8) steel #1 Phillips screws and (2) plastic fasteners holding the bumper cover in place. There are four plastic fasteners that hold some trim pieces to the bumper cover over the exhaust pipe, those can stay. There are (4) steel screws on each wheel well that are accessible with a stubby screwdriver.

two screws in plain sight

one at the bottom corner

one at the top facing up where the bumper meets the fender

one of the two plastic fasteners to remove

Step 3. Open the trunk and using a plastic trim pry tool, remove the plastic dust covers on the side of the tail lights. Remove the (2) 10mm bolts, one on each side of the bumper. If your car is equipped with parking sensors make sure to unplug the wire harness.

this is where the parking sensors should plug in, one per side, I think. I have the sport trim, not so equipped.

Step 4. Remove the tail lights. The tail lights cover some of the tabs you will need to access to release the bumper cover. Remove the (2) 8mm bolts per tail light. These are the black hex screws that also have a Phillips drive. Carefully loosen the light pulling the light away and to the side of the car (not towards the back) and the plastic pins will release from the grommets. Unplug the two cable connectors and remove the clip holding the harness to the light. Set the tail lights aside.

the passenger side is shown, but same process for the driver side light.

Step 5. Un clip the bumper cover. Using the plastic pry tool carefully separate the bumper cover from the car where it meets the rear fenders and the tabs below the tail lights. be careful removing the tabs as using too much force can damage the soft plastic of the bumper cover. The tabs are located below the tail light areas and where the fender meets the bumper. I started releasing the tabs from the wheel well, working my way inwards to the tail light tabs. Once those are removed on each side the bumper will simply pop out. I forgot to grab a photo here, but videos online of the 10th gen bumper removal show the process pretty well.

Step 6. Using a 12mm wrench or breaker bar/socket, remove the (8) bolts holding the bumper reinforcement bar to the chassis. Lift and remove the bar.

Step 7 (Optional). Apply rust inhibitor to the bumper reinforcement bar, hitch, and chassis. I did this because the winter time salt spray in my area decimates steel

Step 8. Install the hitch and reinforcement bar together with the supplied bolts. Once aligned, the flange on the chassis will hold the parts loosely in place while you get the bolts started. Torque the 13mm bolts down to 20ft-lbs. I used anti seize compound on the bolts here since they too will be exposed to salt spray.

Step 9. Cut the bumper cover to fit the hitch receiver. I measured 3-1/2” back from the bottom edge, and 2-1/2” wide. I didn’t follow the hitch manufacturer instructions here, they said to cut 4-1/8” back for the 10th gen civic which would have left a bit more of a gap in front of the hitch. I used a marker to trace the outline and a drill to start the corner holes. Then cut with a pair of tin snips.

the bumper cover comes embossed with a little center mark for reference

Step 10. Check fitment of the bumper cover around the installed hitch

Bumper Cover Reinstallation: follow the steps starting at 5 in reverse order. Be very careful installing the (2) 10mm bolts for the bumper because they have a shoulder that centers in the hole of the bumper cover. It needs to be perfectly aligned so it doesn’t sandwich the cover under the shoulder and cut into the bumper cover. Also, when re-installing the tail lights, line up the two plastic pins and then push them in until they "pop" back in place, then reinstall the two screws per light.

this is the shoulder bolt for the bumper cover

this was the end result. I am pretty happy with how it turned out, because there’s no exposed cross beam hanging under the bumper. It’s a bit of work but hides as much as possible.
Thanks! I have a vintage road bike, an ebike and a hybrid that I’m on the fence about repairing/selling. The hitch rack is nice for the ebike which is 40 lbs.
This was a great read @muffler! Are you towing your bikes with your Civic?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts