11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there guys,

Went in to the dealer to have a clicking/knocking noise diagnosed on my 2022 Civic Sport. After 3 hours the service adviser comes back and tells me a the CV inner boot is shot and leaked all of it grease at only 11k miles. He recommend to have the whole axle replaced. The big issue is that the part is on back-order and doesn't have an ETA on when it will get replaced. My question is if anybody has experienced any issues with their CV axles? Is it normal for them to fail at such an early time? Any input would be appreciate it? Are they made cheaply that their just a ticking time bomb? Been thinking about trading it in for a Toyota, if little stuff like this continues to happen.

Tire Automotive tire Automotive lighting Black Tread

Attachments

·
Registered
99 Posts
Not normal at such low mileage, especially with the whole underside of the engine covered. Bad CV boot would be my guess. If it's making noise you have to replace the whole thing. I have only had one go bad in the past 7 cars and a few hundred thousand miles, very rare.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback Sport Touring
23 Posts
Definitely not normal. These usually start going out after 100k miles or so based on my experience on other cars. 11k is too early to have anything suspension related to fail. Just bad luck, hopefully warranty takes care of it.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport Ralleye Red
57 Posts
I agree with the others. I’ve replaced a few on friends vehicles and most of those had high miles. Odd for such a low mileage car. Must be a bad part is all.

·
Registered
1,539 Posts
Once the boot tears or splits then the grease leaks out, and wear accelerates. Probably nothing wrong with the CV joint itself but once it loses lubrication then it is destined to fail. Who knows what caused the boot to split ?

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hey there guys,

Went in to the dealer to have a clicking/knocking noise diagnosed on my 2022 Civic Sport. After 3 hours the service adviser comes back and tells me a the CV inner boot is shot and leaked all of it grease at only 11k miles. He recommend to have the whole axle replaced. The big issue is that the part is on back-order and doesn't have an ETA on when it will get replaced. My question is if anybody has experienced any issues with their CV axles? Is it normal for them to fail at such an early time? Any input would be appreciate it? Are they made cheaply that their just a ticking time bomb? Been thinking about trading it in for a Toyota, if little stuff like this continues to happen.

View attachment 8585
Did the boot fail near the band clamp or somewhere else? I accidentally cut one of outer boots installing Tein H springs. Looked into getting a new axle and also got the "on backorder indefinitely". That alone tells me it's a relatively unique part and Honda has some serious supply issues. It appears most if not all new parts are going to new builds.

-Jamie

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there guys,

View attachment 8585
Okay so I usually do not comment on things to much, but this one i have to because ive seen this way too much.
Hey im sorry that your axle broke man but honestly your going to trade your Honda in for a Toyota just because of something that has nothing to do with Honda. This part is made by someone else and your ready to blame Honda for it and rush over to Toyota which can happen to them and has happen to them also. It may suck yes that this happened but wanting to rush over and trade your car in because of it...and it could happen to any car company.

It just such a trend now that the minute something goes wrong with a Honda people are ready to trade them in for something else like a Toyota or dare I say even a Kia/Hyundai(n) it just makes me laugh when people are like omg kia Hyundai have stepped up and they are so great...yes cause they fill there automobiles with nice options and lower prices...but the quality still isnt great the material still is plastic cheap. Nobody is blowing them up like they did Honda when they had to recall some of their automobiles for small minor things...but Kia/Hyundai is currently recalling most/all of their cars for catching on fire and brake problems...people have been killed in the process of not being able to get out in time because they cant stop the car...there are videos on you tube about it.
Im going to stick with Honda/Acura company.

·
Registered
334 Posts
What’s all that dirt and mud caked up down there? Did you let Bo and Luke Duke drive it in Hazzard County?
Possibly the grease spooged out and dirt is now stuck to it, presenting as shown?

I would be curious what caused the boot to split.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Possibly the grease spooged out and dirt is now stuck to it, presenting as shown?

I would be curious what caused the boot to split.
Maybe. But that is ALOT of grease spooge! LOL. Looks to me that someone went off roading into a ditch. If that is the case..... hmmmmmm I wonder why the boot was split and the axle went out. things that make you go hmmmmmmm.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lol, if I didn't baby the car then I would've never made this post. But sad part is I do, and stuff like this is unacceptable. Don't try to be justify these car companies like their impeccable. Whenever something breaks, and it does at such an early point it just come to show these car manufacturers are just aren't what they used to be. They cheaping out on crucial components that could potentially be life threatening.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey there guys,

View attachment 8585
Did you ever get this fixed? do you know if the 10th CV axle works?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The part is still on backorder according to the dealer. Been considering putting an aftermarket, but even those are not available yet. And wouldn't know of a 10th gen would work. Maybe not since if im not mistaken, the 11th gen is a little wider.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Having the same issue with my 22 Sport also. Started at about 12k miles.
I bet the Sport model uses a different axle from the Si. They may be readily more available.

Mine is still holding up after the boot replacement ~2000 miles ago :knocks on wood: I'm very surprised Honda used a part not shared with other models in their line up to reduce costs. Maybe they are the same axles in the new Type-R? As the 11th gen Civic increase in numbers, then they will have to address availability of spare parts.
-Jamie

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Dealer called 8/10. Bought it in for replacement on 8/15. Part number was 44306T21A51-Left Front CV Axles. I believe having the axle replaced would fix a clunking noise coming from the steering rack. But no luck. It's seems as if the steering wheel is binding. Will have to take it back once it get worse. Last time the advisor denied anything was wrong with the steering system, but only approved the CV replacement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts