Registered
2023 Civic Lx Sedan
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2023 Civic Sport Sedan Sonic Grey Pearl
31 Posts
Apparently chip makers will be ramping up production of automotive chips for next April or May. If this is true, you may see the end to long waits for new cars and “market adjustments” over MSRP (although you can expect extra charges on limited edition vehicles like the Type R to continue).

Tbh I think car manufactures are still using chip shortages as an excuse. I seen a YouTube video from YAA that was saying some of the largest chip makers were actually making less chips due to the lack of demand. This would mean manufactures are either intentionally not making as many cars as they could or there are other materials to make the cars that become the issue. Either way you can't trust anything anymore

·
Registered
2018 Volkswagen GTI S, 6MT
74 Posts
I'll believe it when I see it. Personally I think that they love the current situation.
Civic sales are down like 50% from 2021, despite a great new model that lots of people want. Maybe dealers are doing okay with the low supply thanks to mark-ups, but I can't imagine Honda itself is too happy about the situation.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Si
56 Posts
Things will get cheaper again? Lol how's that work out in other industrial pricing and consumer goods? Hate to be the downer but the world is changed man. And we ALL got gamed.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT
551 Posts
Tbh I think car manufactures are still using chip shortages as an excuse. I seen a YouTube video from YAA that was saying some of the largest chip makers were actually making less chips due to the lack of demand. This would mean manufactures are either intentionally not making as many cars as they could or there are other materials to make the cars that become the issue. Either way you can't trust anything anymore
That doesn't make any financial or business sense from the manufacturers, though. Unless the dealerships are "kicking back" a portion of the sales price over MSRP to Honda (which would be reported on, as Honda is publicly traded and thus its revenue sources are audited), all the over MSRP gouging represents extra profit to the dealerships.

They SELL the cars to the dealership for price X (usually with a financing deal), with a "manufacturer's suggested retail price" (MSRP) and "delivery charge" representing the dealer profit plus transport costs - this is what the manufacturer (Honda) uses in its advertising, to place the car into a certain segment of the marketplace.

Having any given dealership sell a $27,500 Civic Si for $35,000 is NOT what Honda intended (to get it compared to an entry level 3-series BMW or something). Having LOTS of dealerships do that is also something Honda does not want, as it may result in someone not wanting to buy a Honda for the car after this one.

There is NO REASON for Honda to want to hold back volume production of a car that has higher demand than supply. They would want to increase supply to meet the demand.

The whole dealership distribution model in the USA is built around the idea that "car dealerships are local businesses that need protecting", plus guaranteeing service centers. It has nothing to do with making cars easier or cheaper to buy for the consumer.

In times like these, buyers wish they could "buy direct" from the manufacturer, just put in "an order" for a car at MSRP, get put on a factory build queue with a tracking number, and some number of weeks later, the car is built and delivered and you have a car.

But in times when supply exceeds demand, the buyers want to be able to wait for "inventory clearances" at the dealer desperate to unload stock and cutting prices below MSRP - even to "invoice price" or below. That depends on the "dealers buy cars and then sell them" middleman model.

You can't have it both ways.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts