11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So far, I can't find a way to disable auto stop by default. Here's why I dislike it. 3 times in the same week, I've had instances where the car would auto stop as designed. However.... in what is so far an unpredictable and unreplicatable fashion, the moment I disengage the clutch, and shift to first gear, the engine starts. The moment I even begin to let off the clutch.... in other words, before the friction point, the engine cuts off. Since this has happened quite a bit already, I've made sure I'm in first gear, and I've given sufficient throttle to keep the engine from cutting off. It cuts off anyways. If I reset the clutch, it starts up again, but immediately shuts off the moment I begin to engage the clutch. The only fix is to disable it, otherwise, I've got drivers honking at me. This could put me in a dangerous situation if I forget to disable it and it happens again.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
129 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Can anyone think of a more stupid and dangerous legislated addition to our cars in the past 20 years?

Only cars we’ve had with this were the McLarens. I’d never even see it before. Especially embarrassing when would forget to defeat it. Had to just switch the drivetrain and handling to “active” but had to do it every time you got in the car.

Reactions: Danpool13

·
Registered
31 Posts
The first thing I do in the car when I turn it on is to put it in Sport or Individual, which disables it (I believe, because it tells me that I’d have to change driving mode to have it work; Individual may need to have throttle in Sport so steering in Normal) - it’s more fun and I never have to touch the auto start/stop button, haven’t had it auto-stop yet. I have 2 BMWs with the same feature, which causes a delay in leaving a red light and even when taking a left turn in gaps in traffic, which is most problematic to me from a safety perspective. I have a diagnostic tool for those cars which I coded as permanently off. Terrible feature that saves what, maybe half a gallon of gas per year? and yes think it’s emissions related.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Manufacturers had to develop special starters to reliably work with this few feature, so they should last in the long run, but still taxing on the battery and engine IMO.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know as mentioned before in the cold weather here in Canada it never kicks in. The other thing about it is you have to have the shifter in neutral and the clutch released for it to activate. So what I do is when stuck in traffic where it kicks in either keep it in gear or just move the steering wheel or push the clutch back in while still in neutral and it will restart. Once restarted it does not re-activate until you move and stop again. If I'm stuck in traffic that's constantly stop and go I just turn it off. For a normal traffic light that you wait a minute or so I don't find it invasive, but I still think it's a pointless thing,

·
Registered
57 Posts
Liking my Gen 9 more and more.

If I were King, all modern cars would have a large button on the dash to turn off all safety features, all alarms, all notifications. Then they would be just like most of the cars I have ever driven.

How is it possible that such a dangerous and supremely aggravating feature was selected to add to our daily drudgery? This feature will disappear after we have a sufficient number of problems, but it will take a few years.

Reactions: Zeroptzero

·
Registered
466 Posts
Liking my Gen 9 more and more.

If I were King, all modern cars would have a large button on the dash to turn off all safety features, all alarms, all notifications. Then they would be just like most of the cars I have ever driven.

How is it possible that such a dangerous and supremely aggravating feature was selected to add to our daily drudgery? This feature will disappear after we have a sufficient number of problems, but it will take a few years.
Joe Biden loves this feature, so every vehicle will have it, I want to turn it off and have it stay off until I want to use it. No one thinks of keeping things simple like you and I want lol.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Joe Biden
Aren't you in Canada? I know you guys are like the beta dog of North America to our alpha but I think you have your own government, PM, etc... Joe didn't put no idle-stop in your car!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Let's not get political, but I guarantee you auto stop start was not a "feature" that auto manufacturers wanted to put in their cars. It is 100% driven by fuel and emissions regulations put in place by the two largest car markets in the world, the US and the EU.

If you don't like it, don't blame manufacturers, contact your representative.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, my use of Biden's name is mainly a reference for the U.S government and whoever is in charge at the time. FWIW I dislike my country's PM far more than the current U.S. President.

Auto Stop is needed by manufacturers to lower consumption and emissions over their entire vehicle line up, so they get credits towards their bigger SUV's and trucks, all based on CAFE standards. Canada just gets whatever the U.S. gets because of the vast difference in market size - 350 million+ vs. 30 million+ people, but at the end of the day we wouldn't implement lower fuel and emissions standards of our own.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Sorry I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, my use of Biden's name is mainly a reference for the U.S government and whoever is in charge at the time. FWIW I dislike my country's PM far more than the current U.S. President.

Auto Stop is needed by manufacturers to lower consumption and emissions over their entire vehicle line up, so they get credits towards their bigger SUV's and trucks, all based on CAFE standards. Canada just gets whatever the U.S. gets because of the vast difference in market size - 350 million+ vs. 30 million+ people, but at the end of the day we wouldn't implement lower fuel and emissions standards of our own.
I was just messing with you in my response...

Reactions: Zeroptzero
1 - 16 of 16 Posts