Votes: 27 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 49.1%
41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
245 Posts
I didn't think I'd like it, tbh, but I was quickly very impressed with how quickly the car starts and got going.

I disable it only in real stop-and-go traffic (like at a bridge or toll plaza that is backed up, and you're creeping up 5-10 feet every 10 seconds or so, or else someone is going to try to squeeze in front of you). I feel like I'm killing the starter, LOL, and the little shudder gets annoying when it's that frequent.

However, in ordinary driving around the city I love it. Yeah, it sometimes kills the engine "for only 10-30 seconds" at stop lights or four way intersections, but those quickly add up in 15 minutes of driving. I would wish all cars were required to kill their engines while standing still at a red light just for the reduction in exhaust (i.e., breathing as a pedestrian, runner, or cyclist in the neighborhood)... And as a driver, I enjoy the savings in fuel economy with nearly zero downside.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Hatchback ST 6MT in PWP
245 Posts
First thing I turn off when I start the vehicle. The wear and tear on the starter isn't worth the spoonful of gas it MIGHT save me on my drive every day.
More old school thinking. "Starting the engine is the biggest stress on your car!" was stock wisdom back in the day, putting load on the battery and using up one of a fixed number of lifetime cranks in the starter.

And that actually WAS true, in the old days. But the starter component in the "auto idle engine kill" feature in our car is the same as it is in a hybrid gas/electric car. It's DESIGNED to do this much, much easier and quicker and at near zero cost than a "traditional" starter.

It's like thinking you have to warm up your car for 5 minutes before driving it in the winter. Maybe once true, especially with carburetors, but not any more.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Hatchback ST
220 Posts
More old school thinking. "Starting the engine is the biggest stress on your car!" was stock wisdom back in the day, putting load on the battery and using up one of a fixed number of lifetime cranks in the starter.

And that actually WAS true, in the old days. But the starter component in the "auto idle engine kill" feature in our car is the same as it is in a hybrid gas/electric car. It's DESIGNED to do this much, much easier and quicker and at near zero cost than a "traditional" starter.

It's like thinking you have to warm up your car for 5 minutes before driving it in the winter. Maybe once true, especially with carburetors, but not any more.
While it may be designed to do so, any component that is operated more frequently will wear out at a greater rate. It’s also annoying. 😜

41 - 43 of 43 Posts