• Yes

Votes: 27 50.9%
  • No

Votes: 26 49.1%
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
I leave mine on all the time and have rarely found it annoying (only in stop-and-go traffic, and even then it's forced me to try to roll at slow speed with traffic jam assist, rather than move, stop, move, stop). I once had a Fiat with manual transmission in Barcelona that came standard with idle stop. Every time you pushed the clutch in, the car turned off. I guess I got used to it.

That said, when I recently traveled to Las Vegas and the ambient temperature was 115º, the idle stop refused to activate due to climate control settings. At stoplights, I watched the trip MPG's drop by 0.5 to 1 MPG per stoplight. The feature definitely saves fuel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
It's the most annoying "feature" ever, especially since it's forced upon you. It should be DISABLED BY DEFAULT. I turn off the auto stop feature or put it in sport mode which disables it as soon as I get in the car. Honda should be ashamed they ever put this in a vehicle. Any knowledgeable mechanic will tell you that it increases wear and tear. Such a joke. I challenge the manufactuer to prove that it actually does anything to increase fuel efficiency. This is what happens when the government thinks they know better than the automaker.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just got a Honda 2022 civic and was wondering if someone can explain to me why the auto idle stop feature is bad for the car? Thank you
I don’t think it’s necessarily “bad” for the car. I think a lot of people, including myself, find it annoying though. Especially in traffic. Or if the street you’re on has a lot of Stop signs.

I have also seen people online claim it’s unnecessary wear and tear on your starter motor. But from what I understand, the starter is specifically designed for this application. Even the car battery is a special type for vehicles with the Start/Stop function.

Anyways, I personally turn mine off most of the time.

·
Registered
2022 Civic Sport Sedan
33 Posts
I pick up my new civic sport next week, have been reading up on the features in the owners manual I downloaded. Not sure i like this feature but I will give it a try and see. Saves having to remember to turn it off every time I get in the car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don’t think it’s necessarily “bad” for the car. I think a lot of people, including myself, find it annoying though. Especially in traffic. Or if the street you’re on has a lot of Stop signs.

I have also seen people online claim it’s unnecessary wear and tear on your starter motor. But from what I understand, the starter is specifically designed for this application. Even the car battery is a special type for vehicles with the Start/Stop function.

Anyways, I personally turn mine off most of the time.
Thank you!

·
Registered
736 Posts
Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's standard for these to be default on. Every car I've ridden in with auto idle-stop would default on whenever the car was started.
I don't like it... Always turn it off after starting the car. There should really be a way to change it's default setting.
In new cars now it's the standard. Can't be turned off permanently, only each time it starts up. It's a shame because a friend of mine has a 2016 Mini and he can turn it off permanently and forget about it.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
87 Posts
Apparently, you can disable the Auto Idle Start Stop messaging on the Driver's Digital Panel by holding the “Start-Stop” Button in between the Drive Mode and Electronic Braking switch. Messaging for Auto Idle Start Stop will cease to appear.

·
Registered
56 Posts
There are idle/stop disable “modules“ that can be added to a car’s electronic systems to permanently disable the idle/stop feature, but I haven’t seen any specific to the ‘22 Honda Civic yet. The following video provides info how idle/stop modules work, specifically for the Honda Passport in this case.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Just got my 2022 hatch LX and haven’t gotten this feature to work yet. Drove around for about 1.5 hours and every time I stop it’s still giving me the interrupted message because of temperature or charge. How long does the battery need to charge for this to start working? I know the car sat on the dealer lot for at least a week maybe that’s why?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Just got my 2022 hatch LX and haven’t gotten this feature to work yet. Drove around for about 1.5 hours and every time I stop it’s still giving me the interrupted message because of temperature or charge. How long does the battery need to charge for this to start working? I know the car sat on the dealer lot for at least a week maybe that’s why?
Lots of variables - the owners manual has an extensive list. If your temperature to too high or low compared to ambient, auto stop won’t engage. Don’t worry about it and just drive.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts