• No

Votes: 17 44.7%
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wheel Vehicle Tire Car Automotive tire

The 2022 Civic gets auto idle-stop (engine start-stop) as a new standard feature in CVT transmission equipped models. Here's how Honda explains it: "To help maximize fuel economy, the engine automatically stops when the vehicle comes to a stop, depending on environmental and vehicle operating conditions. The indicator (green) comes on at this time."

Since we can turn this feature on/off, how many of you actually use it?
I understand for some people it can be annoying.

·
Registered
28 Posts
99% of the time I find the engine start when my foot comes off the brake pedal is so fast it's a non-issue. Only if I were intentionally trying to jump a light/start quickly might I be a little delayed (and you better check for cross traffic JUST IN CASE anyway) - but in that specific instance I would toggle the function off. Also in stop and go I would probably toggle it off. Other than that, it's great.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I don’t enjoy it. The wear and tear it puts on the engine components is not something I enjoy. Obviously it’s not a huge issue or this feature wouldn’t exist but I’m not a fan. I disable this feature every time I start the car. I’m almost certain this is the case for most owners.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I don’t enjoy it. The wear and tear it puts on the engine components is not something I enjoy. Obviously it’s not a huge issue or this feature wouldn’t exist but I’m not a fan. I disable this feature every time I start the car. I’m almost certain this is the case for most owners.
Yup. I literally have put a red Post-It on the button to remind myself to turn it off everytime I start the car.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Yup. I literally have put a red Post-It on the button to remind myself to turn it off everytime I start the car.
Lol. I forget sometimes as well. Perhaps I’ll do the same. I think I’m approaching muscle memory at this point. It’s just the process of getting the car moving. Honestly, it makes me feel like I’m driving a futuristic jet like car from Blade Runner pushing multiple buttons in sequence to enable launch (ignition, auto/stop and electronic brake buttons).

·
Registered
28 Posts
So in terms of wear, I would see starter motor for sure. Oil breakdown a little perhaps, but not a lot. Am I missing anything? Yeah it's not new technology and it's effective or you're right, it wouldn't exist. Prius is known for oil consumption due to frequent stop starts affecting oil but also other contributing factors. Newer Gena are better about it, so we'll have to see how this pans out.

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
Wish there was a way to code it to not reset when you have it set to off.

BMW has coding features but I don’t think Honda does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Because I live in a small town where you’re 15 minutes away from everything, it‘s unnecessary. I do remember to set it to off a few seconds after I start the car, but feel there should be a built-in feature to keep it off. At least the car remembers to keep my desired Econ mode set to on every time, but Econ mode plus Auto Idle Stop just seems to be an unnecessary overkill in my situation. Getting 32 avg mpg, so all good.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I tried to keep it off while I was breaking in the engine. Now I don't bother unless I'm in a lot of stop and go traffic. I do wonder what the pre-mature wear will be like on the starter and possibly other components though. We can thank the EPA for forcing Honda to implement features like this to keep emissions down :rolleyes:

·
Registered
21 Posts
I don't have my 22 Civic yet (supposedly this week), but when I test drove one, I observed that this feature -- even when not turned off -- frequently did not operate. Instead, I got some message on the dash explaining why. I don't recall what the message said but something like the idle off would not operate because there's not enough charge -- or something like that. I asked the sales guy about that after the test drive, but he did not seem to know much about the car and his explanation of this was not intelligible Does anyone know why this would be? (The A/C was on; would that matter?)

·
Super Moderator
173 Posts
Mine will say that I need to press on the brake harder before it will work or the A/C is on so it does not work either.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I don't have my 22 Civic yet (supposedly this week), but when I test drove one, I observed that this feature -- even when not turned off -- frequently did not operate. Instead, I got some message on the dash explaining why. I don't recall what the message said but something like the idle off would not operate because there's not enough charge -- or something like that. I asked the sales guy about that after the test drive, but he did not seem to know much about the car and his explanation of this was not intelligible Does anyone know why this would be? (The A/C was on; would that matter?)
The AC can affect it. If the AC is on, and the engine turns off, the AC compressor won’t be able to run.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
84 Posts
Yes, I use Auto-Idle Stop when I drive to and from work. There are just too may traffic lights on the way to and from which wastes quite a bit of gas while idling so I have Auto Idle-Stop enabled.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
67 Posts
The start/stop feature will not engage while the car is warming up, or the A/C is turned down low. Also this feature will not engage when the brake pedal is not fully depressed. If the car has been sitting for sometime it may take a while for the charging system to decide everything is okay for this feature to function. If you sit too long at a light it will sometimes restart prematurely due too voltage being too low to maintain basic functions. It will also drastically reduce the blower speed on the A/C to prevent this from occurring even sooner.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
84 Posts
The start/stop feature will not engage while the car is warming up, or the A/C is turned down low. Also this feature will not engage when the brake pedal is not fully depressed. If the car has been sitting for sometime it may take a while for the charging system to decide everything is okay for this feature to function. If you sit too long at a light it will sometimes restart prematurely due too voltage being too low to maintain basic functions. It will also drastically reduce the blower speed on the A/C to prevent this from occurring even sooner.
Auto Idle Start Stop will also not engage if the drive mode is in Sport Mode as well. In addition, if the front windshield defroster is on, Auto Idle Start Stop will not activate.

·
Registered
21 Posts
It seems to me if this feature was going to exist at all, the "default rule" should have been reversed. In other words, it should be off unless a driver turns it on, rather than the other way around. Or alternatively, there should be an easy way to turn it off in a way that it does not automatically turn on next time you start the car (like the radio, or the lights, or the wipers -- if you turn them off, they don't automatically turn on the next time you start the car!). I wonder why Honda did not do that. Does EPA require this? Or does it impact the gas mileage rating?

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
67 Posts
The AC can affect it. If the AC is on, and the engine turns off, the AC compressor won’t be able to run.
Auto Idle Start Stop will also not engage if the drive mode is in Sport Mode as well. In addition, if the front windshield defroster is on, Auto Idle Start Stop will not activate.
Correct! Sport mode is lame in these cars as well, idle is 2500 rpm lol. But my starter might go out if I use auto Start/Stop smh.

·
Registered
29 Posts
It seems to me if this feature was going to exist at all, the "default rule" should have been reversed. In other words, it should be off unless a driver turns it on, rather than the other way around. Or alternatively, there should be an easy way to turn it off in a way that it does not automatically turn on next time you start the car (like the radio, or the lights, or the wipers -- if you turn them off, they don't automatically turn on the next time you start the car!). I wonder why Honda did not do that. Does EPA require this? Or does it impact the gas mileage rating?
Yup, I've heard for the gas mileage rating to be advertised as it is, the regulatory rule is that it must 'default' to on.

·
Registered
91 Posts
There's many reasons why it won't turn on: low charge on battery (if car has been sitting for a while), climate control settings, brake pedal not fully depressed, etc. etc.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts