11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rallye Red)
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that when Auto Idle Engine Stop is enabled and I come to a full stop. The cold air flow from the air conditioning is drastically reduced. I am kind baking in the car while the air conditioner air flow is low. I guess the remedy to this problem is to disable Auto Idle Engine Stop. The air conditioning cannot operate in full capacity without the engine in full operation.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Correct, because the A/C compressor is connected by belt to the engine's crankshaft to operate it. This is common in most vehicles with auto start-stop, with the exception of hybrids as their A/Cs are driven differently without relying on the gas motor operating.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are stopped for too long and the car starts getting hot (in its opinion) it will turn the engine back on.
Yes, this did happen to me in a few instances when the internal temperature of the car got too hot. (baking and sweating inside)

·
Registered
86 Posts
If you are stopped for too long and the car starts getting hot (in its opinion) it will turn the engine back on.
Good point, and conversely it will not shut the engine off if the delta temperature between the cabin and what's been selected is too high. You'll get a little informational message in the dash about this when it happens.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I noticed that when Auto Idle Engine Stop is enabled and I come to a full stop. The cold air flow from the air conditioning is drastically reduced. I am kind baking in the car while the air conditioner air flow is low. I guess the remedy to this problem is to disable Auto Idle Engine Stop. The air conditioning cannot operate in full capacity without the engine in full operation.
Does anyone know how to definitively deactivate this option. I do not like

·
Registered
54 Posts
Correct, because the A/C compressor is connected by belt to the engine's crankshaft to operate it. This is common in most vehicles with auto start-stop, with the exception of hybrids as their A/Cs are driven differently without relying on the gas motor operating.
Does anyone know how to definitively deactivate this option. I do not like

·
Registered
139 Posts
Does anybody use/like this option? Owners manual says car has 'specially designed' battery to handle frequent turn on/off situations.
I would not mind it on long traffic lights or waiting for a train but to turn off/on at every stop sign or in a stop and go traffic...?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Does anybody use/like this option? Owners manual says car has 'specially designed' battery to handle frequent turn on/off situations.
I would not mind it on long traffic lights or waiting for a train but to turn off/on at every stop sign or in a stop and go traffic...?
The Auto Idle Engine Stop is supposed to improve fuel efficiency combined with ECON Mode. If these two features can prolong the fuel in the gas tank, I am all in favor of it. It's just that it is Summer time and I need the Air Conditioning working.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Isn't there a button on the center console to disable it?
Yes, but it won't retain that setting on the next start (auto start-stop will turn back on). This is "by design", because the rated fuel efficiency is with auto start-stop turned on, and if you could disable that feature permanently then (apparently) Honda can't advertise that stated mileage.

·
Registered
21 Posts
wonder what a new starter cost for one of these and if that little bit of gas savings will pay for the new starter much less all the extra work on the battery . Gas mileage was not the reason i buy Honda's

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Another option is to yank the fuse for it if that's an option. Only downside if if that same fuse is also connected to other things you would actually need but its worth looking into.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
84 Posts
You can also not press so firmly on the brake pedal to prevent start/stop function. After you get the car comfortable then utilize the start/stop feature and it will be nicer in the cabin. Or yes you can disable but it is not necessary to prevent it from killing the car.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I never pull away immediately after starting my car. Plenty of time to push a button. At least you can turn it off without diving into touch screen menus like some other brands.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts