11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically what the title says, is anyone worried about buying the first year of the redesign? I've heard it's best not to buy the first year because they haven't had time to figure out any issues/flaws. Does that still apply or is that just something parents say?

·
Registered
100 Posts
This could be urban legend but it could be true. Most likely some rattles, squeaky noises and similar. BUT, some major issues could be discovered too, like Civic gen10 issue with mixing oil and gas.
I know new Accord had issue with HUD rattle. Fix was simple as implemented by owners themselves and I believe Honda has correct that in later production years.

Some people are brave or they need new car asap or want to be 'first on the block'. If you can wait, you could wait at least 3-4 months. I hope closer to the year end dealers will be more flexible with pricing AND potential issues might show up.
So far I only heard (on this forum) about bluetooth issue. My concern is more with transmission, engine, technology package and similar - major car components.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm not too worried. I don't think I'd want to be an early adopter of a totally new model of car, but a new generation should be pretty safe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The engine and the tranny are not new, so there shouldn't be any big surprises there. There might be quirks with rattles or other little things, but the manufacturer will take care of it. This wouldn't stop me from buying.

·
Registered
166 Posts
It's mostly the same car mechanically. Electronics might get glitchy, but I expect updates, were it to happen.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Normally I would avoid the first year fearing new major mechanical changes, but we needed a car, and from what I researched there are no major changes that concerned me. Seemed mostly cosmetic. Electronics are hard to avoid and hard to predict reliability, IMHO. We did seek out the 2.0L engine instead of the 1.5L turbo. Add in a crazy used market prices and here we are with a ‘22 and no regrets.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Basically what the title says, is anyone worried about buying the first year of the redesign? I've heard it's best not to buy the first year because they haven't had time to figure out any issues/flaws. Does that still apply or is that just something parents say?
If it was a brand new platform or something I would but the mechanics aren't that much different. Which is good because the 10th gen models are pretty solid for reliability.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I'm not concerned. If it turns out to be a dud I'll trade it on something else. Life's too short. So far I love the car, way more than my 2020 EX-L.
Would you trade it in for another Civic or even a different model from Honda or another make?

·
Registered
45 Posts
Would you trade it in for another Civic or even a different model from Honda or another make?
I'm not sure. Depends on what made it a dud whether I went to another Civic. The Accord is too big for me. I don't need a family hauler anymore. If it was right now I'd probably consider a Mazda product. I doubt a KIA or Hyundai even though they seem to be fine cars. If it was a year from now I might consider that new Ford Maverick pickup that's coming out, but that remains to be seen. I don't suspect any problems with the Civic though. Seems like a fine car.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I personally wouldn't go with a first year model, even if it was Toyota. Honda's early production years with the Civic aren't good, they do improve and add good features to mid year refreshes to keep sales up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm not too worried about it. I had a 2013 and 2017 Civic LX (totaled), before I bought my 2022 LX (Should be delivered on the 29th, if everything goes as planned!). I haven't had any major issues with the previous 2 Civics, and I don't expect this one will be much different. I like that it has the same engine and CVT, which were flawless on my 2017. Hopefully any small bugs that may occur, are handled fairly quickly by Honda.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts