11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious if anyone has had their emergency braking system engage yet. I know all safety systems are prone to false alarms. Still scared the S$%T out of me though! 馃榾

I had a false alarm yesterday. In a fast food drive thru of all places. I own a Touring trim. So in addition to the normal speed emergency braking. The Touring has low speed emergency braking for parking lots and stuff.

This particular drive thru was pretty narrow. With a hedge along one side. The hedge could use a good trimming. Because it was sticking out into the lane about 6 inches.

Anyways, after I got my food, I started to drive away. When the car braked really abruptly. I thought I had hit something for a second. I looked at my infotainment screen. The alarm was ringing and it said that the car had detected an object and braked to avoid a collision.

I guess the the hedge was too close to one of the parking sensors. Making the system believe I was about to hit something.

I鈥檓 glad we have these safety systems these days. I do believe they prevent a lot of accidents. But they aren鈥檛 infallible. Scared the crap out of me!

Anyways, have any of you experienced any false alarms so far?

Registered
Yes... My wife was lane changing at highway speeds and it detected a truck that was a lane over. The abrupt slowdown almost caused somone to rear end her. Who would have been at fault? I guess it's always the one behind but not ideal and scary for her. She hit the gas but not sure it actually 'accepts' the input of the gas pedal in that case, since it's (I believe) drive by wire.

Super Moderator
Not so drastic here but something similar. I just push on the gas and try to correct the cars issue while on the highway.

Registered
From a guy who does not yet have his car: Do these various warnings (like the one when you move out of your lane) make a noise, or is it just something that flashes on the dash?

Super Moderator
From a guy who does not yet have his car: Do these various warnings (like the one when you move out of your lane) make a noise, or is it just something that flashes on the dash?
Train horn sounds :)

Just kidding

They do make a beeping sound as well as dash light and steering vibration

Registered
It beeps fast 3 times. It鈥檚 not loud so if you are jamming to the sound system you won鈥檛 hear it. Needs to be louder imo.

Registered
Yes... My wife was lane changing at highway speeds and it detected a truck that was a lane over. The abrupt slowdown almost caused somone to rear end her. Who would have been at fault? I guess it's always the one behind but not ideal and scary for her. She hit the gas but not sure it actually 'accepts' the input of the gas pedal in that case, since it's (I believe) drive by wire.
The manual warns that this is possible. I believe you can disable emergency braking and keep only the aural/visual warning. Hitting the gas does indeed disable the automatic braking.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Damn. That sounds a lot more serious than my little episode.

Glad your wife鈥檚 OK and didn鈥檛 get rear ended.

To bad we don鈥檛 have access to the car鈥檚 logs. To see what it was thinking at the time.

I believe the car has a type of 鈥淏lack Box鈥 in case of accidents. I think Police and insurance companies can request access to the data. Not sure what telemetry it records though. Or if the forward facing camera footage is recorded.

Registered
It beeps fast 3 times. It鈥檚 not loud so if you are jamming to the sound system you won鈥檛 hear it. Needs to be louder imo.
You can change the volume of the alerts in the Vehicle Settings tab > Meter Settings. I have mine at Normal and it's usually loud enough unless I'm jamming to music.

Registered
You can change the volume of the alerts in the Vehicle Settings tab > Meter Settings. I have mine at Normal and it's usually loud enough unless I'm jamming to music.
Yeah I thought I remembered that setting when I first bought it but glad you refreshed me

Registered
Just curious if anyone has had their emergency braking system engage yet. I know all safety systems are prone to false alarms. Still scared the S$%T out of me though! 馃榾

I had a false alarm yesterday. In a fast food drive thru of all places. I own a Touring trim. So in addition to the normal speed emergency braking. The Touring has low speed emergency braking for parking lots and stuff.

This particular drive thru was pretty narrow. With a hedge along one side. The hedge could use a good trimming. Because it was sticking out into the lane about 6 inches.

Anyways, after I got my food, I started to drive away. When the car braked really abruptly. I thought I had hit something for a second. I looked at my infotainment screen. The alarm was ringing and it said that the car had detected an object and braked to avoid a collision.

I guess the the hedge was too close to one of the parking sensors. Making the system believe I was about to hit something.

I鈥檓 glad we have these safety systems these days. I do believe they prevent a lot of accidents. But they aren鈥檛 infallible. Scared the crap out of me!

Yes it has and not ONCE when it was supposed to! I came out to my car in the morning before work and found some @$$hole had blatantly blocked me in and I had no idea who it belonged to. I might have been able to get out with about a hundred TINY forward/reverse maneuvers but I couldn't do that because the chain link fence was too close to the front of the car. The brake kept engaging and made the most embarrassing goose-like honk sound when it did. I don't like NOT being in 100% control of my car at all times. Computers are great but also dangerous if we rely on them too much. After that, I went into the settings and disabled that bee-otch.

Same with lane keeping assist. It's a neat feature and a fantastic idea. But in practice? No bueno. I live and work in Sacramento and all our freeways are under construction right now. Roads too. Some parts of the highway have the old lane lines that still show right next to the pretty new lines they put in. Especially on 80. The car gets confused and doesn't know which to follow so it switches back and forth, making my wheel jerk and my car veer out of the actual lane. Kinda defeats the purpose of lane keeping assist. I made sure this was disabled as well because F that, right?

Someone's gonna get hurt or killed with these technologies one day, as well intentioned as they are.

In the interest of full disclosure, the lane keeping assist did kinda probably save my life one night on a LOOOONG drive on the highway after visiting family out of town. It was the first thing I did after getting my Rhonda the Honda. I was exhausted and started to struggle keeping my eyes open, even with air on full blast, music full blast and windows open too. Even sang along to keep myself up but the road had my eyes drooping. Lane keeping assist kicked in a few times and I'm grateful. But that was just once and I still don't like it when I least need it.

Same with the lane keeping assist

Registered
Yes it has and not ONCE when it was supposed to! I came out to my car in the morning before work and found some @$$hole had blatantly blocked me in and I had no idea who it belonged to. I might have been able to get out with about a hundred TINY forward/reverse maneuvers but I couldn't do that because the chain link fence was too close to the front of the car. The brake kept engaging and made the most embarrassing goose-like honk sound when it did. I don't like NOT being in 100% control of my car at all times. Computers are great but also dangerous if we rely on them too much. After that, I went into the settings and disabled that bee-otch.

Same with lane keeping assist. It's a neat feature and a fantastic idea. But in practice? No bueno. I live and work in Sacramento and all our freeways are under construction right now. Roads too. Some parts of the highway have the old lane lines that still show right next to the pretty new lines they put in. Especially on 80. The car gets confused and doesn't know which to follow so it switches back and forth, making my wheel jerk and my car veer out of the actual lane. Kinda defeats the purpose of lane keeping assist. I made sure this was disabled as well because F that, right?

Someone's gonna get hurt or killed with these technologies one day, as well intentioned as they are.

In the interest of full disclosure, the lane keeping assist did kinda probably save my life one night on a LOOOONG drive on the highway after visiting family out of town. It was the first thing I did after getting my Rhonda the Honda. I was exhausted and started to struggle keeping my eyes open, even with air on full blast, music full blast and windows open too. Even sang along to keep myself up but the road had my eyes drooping. Lane keeping assist kicked in a few times and I'm grateful. But that was just once and I still don't like it when I least need it.

Same with the lane keeping assist
Wow that's really annoying with the emergency braking. That hasn't happened to me with any car that's had it. Have you turned it back on or is it going to be permanently off?

Registered
No false alarms. I almost backed into a cement pillar by accident and it kicked in and stopped me. So it does work.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts