11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got my Civic a couple of months ago. It is an LX, so just base model. At any rate, I have been having some issues with the cruise control recently that I wanted to see if anyone else has come across yet. It happened to me today for the second time since I got the car. In both occurrences, I was just cruising at 75 on the freeway with nobody in front of me,. I was driving and for no reason the car cancelled cruise control on its own. No messages popped up except the symbol and "OFF" next to it, and I started slowing down. No different than turning it off manually or just pressing the brake pedal. I was not able to turn it back on again. When I would try to resume or set the speed again, I would get an error sound and the same message "OFF" next to the cruise symbol. Nothing else. It was dark out, and the humidity was high so I thought something might have just gotten on the front camera. I pulled over and found that it was clean, so got back in the car and it worked again, no other issues. That was about a month ago. Today, was again at 75 with no cars in front of me, good and clearly marked road, in broad daylight. Car canceled cruise for no reason again in the same way it did before. Could not re-engage, got same error sound and "OFF" message. This time I knew for sure there was nothing on the camera. I pulled over, put the car in park, then put it back in drive and started driving again. I could set the cruise control again and it worked for the rest of the drive. Another important thing to add is that I had the lane keep assist active on both occasions, and it never stopped working at all, still kept the lane without issue. I took a very short video when it happened again today, see the link:

20211004_130327.mp4

I spoke to someone on the phone from the Honda Customer Care hotline just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. We went through the owner's manual together and agreed that it said nothing about this type of situation, and that it should never just cancel and refuse to re-engage until the vehicle is bought to a complete stop and put in park. He said that I should make an appointment to have it looked at. One thing that I have NOT tried is switching over to normal cruise control mode via holding the interval button when this whole thing is happening.

Called local dealer, they want $145 just to look at it. It has 3k miles and it is a leased vehicle, so I'm not really sure why I have to pay. I actually don't know if this is the norm or not as this is the first brand new vehicle that I have leased from any dealership, so on a side note I would like to hear your opinions on that too.

Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and could provide some guidance.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Your car should be under full warranty still so they shouldn’t be charging you at all.

Dealers are the worst.
That's what I thought. I'm going to call a different dealership tomorrow and if they tell me the same thing I will ask for the service manager. Definitely doesn't seem right.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dealer shouldn't be charging you a cent. In fact when you bring the car in the should be providing you with a loaner for the entire duration they have your car. That being said, I use cruise control all the time and I have never experience your issue.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Dealer shouldn't be charging you a cent. In fact when you bring the car in the should be providing you with a loaner for the entire duration they have your car. That being said, I use cruise control all the time and I have never experience your issue.
The only two times I have experienced it have been when I've been driving for a long time, as in longer than 30-45 minutes. Probably doesn't matter though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Definitely call another Dealership as the $145.00 sounds extremely sketchy to me. Fortunately i have had no issues with my Cruise Control. Definitely sounds like something that should be covered under a warranty, Hope you get it sorted out.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport 2.0L
19 Posts
I have had this happen to me once a couple weekends ago, but I still have not found out what caused it. I was returning home about halfway through a 90 minute interstate drive going about 75 MPH when adaptive cruise suddenly became "unavailable." Lane assist continued to work, so I have no clue what went wrong. I haven't seen it since, but I'm keeping a closer eye on it to say the least.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have had this happen to me once a couple weekends ago, but I still have not found out what caused it. I was returning home about halfway through a 90 minute interstate drive going about 75 MPH when adaptive cruise suddenly became "unavailable." Lane assist continued to work, so I have no clue what went wrong. I haven't seen it since, but I'm keeping a closer eye on it to say the least.
Finally, I figured I wasn't the only one.

UPDATE: I called the same dealership back this morning and spoke to the same service writer. Asked why I would have to pay the fee, was placed on hold for about 30 seconds, and was then told "I've just been informed that you won't need to pay the fee". A little strange, but I do live in a rather rural area so the next closest dealer is about 2 hours away.

My appointment is next Wednesday. I know how much fun intermittent problems can be to find, but hopefully they can come up with something. I'll be sure to post back with whatever they find!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I use cruise all the time, not the acc cruise, just regular. Had this happen on a car years ago, cruise module had to be replaced. But I've had no problems so far with the civic.

·
Super Moderator
180 Posts
Mine canceled by itself today and said it was not available. But I think it was because it was raining super hard. ( I HOPE)

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Finally, I figured I wasn't the only one.

UPDATE: I called the same dealership back this morning and spoke to the same service writer. Asked why I would have to pay the fee, was placed on hold for about 30 seconds, and was then told "I've just been informed that you won't need to pay the fee". A little strange, but I do live in a rather rural area so the next closest dealer is about 2 hours away.

My appointment is next Wednesday. I know how much fun intermittent problems can be to find, but hopefully they can come up with something. I'll be sure to post back with whatever they find!
Welcome to the forum @alecmesa96.
Good to see they won't be charging for what is really warranty work.
Did you book an appointment to get it fixed?

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
72 Posts
Hey guys, just got my Civic a couple of months ago. It is an LX, so just base model. At any rate, I have been having some issues with the cruise control recently that I wanted to see if anyone else has come across yet. It happened to me today for the second time since I got the car. In both occurrences, I was just cruising at 75 on the freeway with nobody in front of me,. I was driving and for no reason the car cancelled cruise control on its own. No messages popped up except the symbol and "OFF" next to it, and I started slowing down. No different than turning it off manually or just pressing the brake pedal. I was not able to turn it back on again. When I would try to resume or set the speed again, I would get an error sound and the same message "OFF" next to the cruise symbol. Nothing else. It was dark out, and the humidity was high so I thought something might have just gotten on the front camera. I pulled over and found that it was clean, so got back in the car and it worked again, no other issues. That was about a month ago. Today, was again at 75 with no cars in front of me, good and clearly marked road, in broad daylight. Car canceled cruise for no reason again in the same way it did before. Could not re-engage, got same error sound and "OFF" message. This time I knew for sure there was nothing on the camera. I pulled over, put the car in park, then put it back in drive and started driving again. I could set the cruise control again and it worked for the rest of the drive. Another important thing to add is that I had the lane keep assist active on both occasions, and it never stopped working at all, still kept the lane without issue. I took a very short video when it happened again today, see the link:

20211004_130327.mp4

I spoke to someone on the phone from the Honda Customer Care hotline just to make sure I wasn't missing anything. We went through the owner's manual together and agreed that it said nothing about this type of situation, and that it should never just cancel and refuse to re-engage until the vehicle is bought to a complete stop and put in park. He said that I should make an appointment to have it looked at. One thing that I have NOT tried is switching over to normal cruise control mode via holding the interval button when this whole thing is happening.

Called local dealer, they want $145 just to look at it. It has 3k miles and it is a leased vehicle, so I'm not really sure why I have to pay. I actually don't know if this is the norm or not as this is the first brand new vehicle that I have leased from any dealership, so on a side note I would like to hear your opinions on that too.

Just looking to see if anyone has had a similar issue and could provide some guidance.
Yes this is a problem. Almost ready for my 15,000 service next weekend. Has happened several times (probably 10 at least) with and without lane assist, traffic, or humid windows. I think the camera system is just shit. I have said nothing to the dealer as of yet. It is very random and annoying as well. I have even had to turn the car off to get it to let me set it again. You may be right however and all I needed to do was put in in park and try again. At that point I may as well cycle the ignition and reset everything was my thought process. I have had the car brake for no reason at all also, and when on a two-lane highway in the dark with on-coming headlights. I understand these systems are far from perfect but I would worry about an inexperienced driver. The lane keep assist will try to run you into walls and all kinds of things also Other than this I have few complaints about this car.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hey guys, as promised I visited the dealership today and here's what they claim to be the fix...

They recommend removing aftermarket electronics! I have a front and rear facing dashcam in the car and also an IPASS for tolls. They drove the car 14 miles and did not find any fault codes in the cruise control system. They also claim at the time of writing this, that there are no software updates available. I personally believe this to be BS, especially considering this was happening BEFORE I had my camera installed but still had my IPASS. I fully expected to be told that they have no idea what's wrong with it anyway. Service writer also claimed that a friend of his had an IPASS and it supposedly caused interference similar to what I have experienced. He also mentioned that another service writer owns some other Honda that will exhibit problems with the keyless entry system if he has his AirPods in his pocket (his doors won't unlock)...

I understand that interference is a real thing, but are our cars actually equipped with state of the art electronics that can be disabled or otherwise rendered useless by a simple toll transponder or a nearby dash cam?

If their solution is to remove my dash cam and IPASS, I guess I wouldn't have much use for the vehicle as I wouldn't have any interest in a vehicle that I cannot install a dashcam or IPASS in due to the potential electrical issues that they can cause.

I thought about bringing it to a different dealership and removing the electronics temporarily, just to see what reason they will come up with... For now until it happens again I suppose I will just keep the repair order in my files.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Sport HPD
72 Posts
Hey guys, as promised I visited the dealership today and here's what they claim to be the fix...

They recommend removing aftermarket electronics! I have a front and rear facing dashcam in the car and also an IPASS for tolls. They drove the car 14 miles and did not find any fault codes in the cruise control system. They also claim at the time of writing this, that there are no software updates available. I personally believe this to be BS, especially considering this was happening BEFORE I had my camera installed but still had my IPASS. I fully expected to be told that they have no idea what's wrong with it anyway. Service writer also claimed that a friend of his had an IPASS and it supposedly caused interference similar to what I have experienced. He also mentioned that another service writer owns some other Honda that will exhibit problems with the keyless entry system if he has his AirPods in his pocket (his doors won't unlock)...

I understand that interference is a real thing, but are our cars actually equipped with state of the art electronics that can be disabled or otherwise rendered useless by a simple toll transponder or a nearby dash cam?

If their solution is to remove my dash cam and IPASS, I guess I wouldn't have much use for the vehicle as I wouldn't have any interest in a vehicle that I cannot install a dashcam or IPASS in due to the potential electrical issues that they can cause.

I thought about bringing it to a different dealership and removing the electronics temporarily, just to see what reason they will come up with... For now until it happens again I suppose I will just keep the repair order in my files.
This can not be the issue because I have had nothing in my car and it still does this every now and then. This however is why I never have called them, I will never be able to replicate it for them.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This can not be the issue because I have had nothing in my car and it still does this every now and then. This however is why I never have called them, I will never be able to replicate it for them.
My thought exactly. I just wanted to get it documented and on record in case it turns into a frequent issue they can't say they didn't know about it in the early stages.

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring
40 Posts

20211004_130327.mp4

Doesn’t matter if you own it or lease it all issues should be covered completely free while under the rules warranty

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Sorry to bump the thread again, but have some more information I wanted to share. Same thing happened to me twice this week, getting more annoying and seems to be more frequent. First time it happened I tried to switch the car to normal cruise mode, still wouldn't turn on. Second time was yesterday and the car was already in normal cruise mode. I also found that I lose my automatic high beam function when this happens, the little light with an A in it goes out. Stop, park, foot off of the pedal, and all resets.

I'm thinking of bringing it to a different dealer to get a second opinion, hopefully if it becomes more frequent they'll be able to get it to happen on a test drive.

·
Registered
1 Posts

20211004_130327.mp4

Yes! My 2022 has 4400 miles on it and doing the same thing. It will reset if I park or shut the car off then on again. Not loving my new car

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic LX
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yes! My 2022 has 4400 miles on it and doing the same thing. It will reset if I park or shut the car off then on again. Not loving my new car
I'm glad this post has found others who have had similar experiences!

I would rather not remove my dashcam and IPASS before bringing to a different dealer, but if that's what it takes for them to say "we really don't know what it is" then perhaps it would be worth it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm glad this post has found others who have had similar experiences!

I would rather not remove my dashcam and IPASS before bringing to a different dealer, but if that's what it takes for them to say "we really don't know what it is" then perhaps it would be worth it.
Your dealer's service department is inept and they are thieves. There is no way your ipass and dashcam will interfere with your cruse and no way the stealer should have even tried to charge you. You need to find another dealer. Please don't forget to let Honda Customer Service know about these weasels as well as posting on Google reviews etc.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts