11th Gen Civic Forum banner

Air conditioning (AC) not very cold

8K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  awoodle 
#1 ·
I bought my Civic LX about a month ago (June 2022). Just recently it has been getting much hotter in Florida and I noticed that the air conditioning really isn't that cold. Either I didn't notice it before, or it hasn't been as hot out, not sure. I have the AC on full blast, with Eco mode OFF, climate temp set to "Lo". Even after 20-30 minutes of driving it still doesn't feel that cold. If I turn the AC off, the fan is much warmer without the AC than with it on, but having the AC on just isn't as cold as I'd like. For comparison, I tried my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna and after 2 minutes of the engine being on with AC full blast it was definitely colder and felt like it could freeze my face if I left it there long enough. This is NOT the case with my new Civic.

Anyone else having this issue? Or should I take it to the dealer to have it checked out?

#2 ·
I would agree that the A/C isn’t as strong as other cars but mine does get cold within 5-10 mins in socal weather.
Are you sure you have the A/C on? If you just turn it on to full blast and low temp it doesn’t turn on the A/C. Make sure it says A/C on

Plus I run mine mostly in ECO mode

#3 ·
I bought my Civic LX about a month ago (June 2022). Just recently it has been getting much hotter in Florida and I noticed that the air conditioning really isn't that cold. Either I didn't notice it before, or it hasn't been as hot out, not sure. I have the AC on full blast, with Eco mode OFF, climate temp set to "Lo". Even after 20-30 minutes of driving it still doesn't feel that cold. If I turn the AC off, the fan is much warmer without the AC than with it on, but having the AC on just isn't as cold as I'd like. For comparison, I tried my wife's 2008 Toyota Sienna and after 2 minutes of the engine being on with AC full blast it was definitely colder and felt like it could freeze my face if I left it there long enough. This is NOT the case with my new Civic.

Anyone else having this issue? Or should I take it to the dealer to have it checked out?

I put the two front windows down for about three minutes which seems to let all the pent up hot air out and help the AC work faster. It gets nice and cool after that but it never was "instant" cool to start with. lol

#8 ·
I mean, of course rolling down the windows helps when the inside air is hotter than the outside air. Once those equalize and you roll up the windows, the AC should be recirculating automatically as long as you have it on full auto. If you start messing with things and turn that off, then you're asking your AC has to constantly turn fresh 90-something-degree air into 70-something-degree air, and you're gonna have a warm trip.

#11 ·
I heard they use a new refrigerant that doesn't blow as cold as older vehicles. My 1999 Chevy Silverado blows much colder air than my 2021 Honda Civic hatchback. I am still trying to figure out if it's actually working correctly or not and already had it back at the dealers last summer and they re-charged it but didnt find any problems.

#12 ·
FYI if you go to the NHTSA page there is a link about A/C not working anymore...Honda is asking dealers to send them info on these vehicles and are providing Visa gift cards to techs who find this issue and confirm it. I'll link the info here.

Dealer Message - American Honda Motor Co., Inc. (AHM) is searching for certain 2022-2023 Civics with customer complaint of the A/C not blowing cold air and a technician noticing an oil stain on the right side of the condenser. To better understand the cause of this condition, AHM would like to inspect the vehicle prior to you attempting a repair of any kind.

#13 ·

I had this issue with my 23 Sport Touring-- AC was overcharged from the factory. Take it to the dealer and have them look!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.