11th Gen Civic Forum banner

Will Civic platform lead to a 2dr AWD Integra?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Motor Trend is reporting that the new Acura Integra, which is based on the 22 Civic platform, may come in a 2dr and AWD. These are two things that the new Civic does NOT have. Does anyone think this will happen?

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
198 Posts
Is it possible? Yes. The Civic platform is built to be AWD capable, and there's definitely at a least a vocal minority that wants a coupe.

Will acura/honda see the benefit/profit in making a coupe, or offering an AWD Integra? Remains to be seen, maybe they're going to wait and see just how much outcry for these things there is before committing. I personally would love to see a coupe Integra (FWD or AWD) and think AWD would be a logical addition to the lineup, especially on the Type S. In a MotorTrend interview with Acura's product planner, when asked if both a coupe and 4 door could be offered, they gave a vague "maybe" which maybe gives a bit of hope that it's at least being considered.

It's pretty clear that Honda Japan is calling the shots on the majority of the decision making, even styling, of the Acura products going forward, so it will depend on how conservative and safe they decide to remain (and typically are). Despite low coupe take rates, the end of the NSX almost begs for at least one coupe to be on offer from a brand that markets and claims to be performance / premium / and enthusiast oriented. Plenty of other premium/luxury brands still offer coupes. AWD just seems like a no-brainer IMO, but Honda of Japan seems pretty dead set on a much more conservative approach to their products (especially anything that isn't a high volume crossover).

I'm holding onto any small sliver of hope that a coupe might be in the cards for a delayed release. And I personally believe SH-AWD will come to Integra eventually as well. Would I be more or less happy with the FWD 4-door hatch we've seen evidence of so far? Sure. Would I prefer a FWD/AWD coupe? Absolutely. All we can do is hope Acura/Honda sees these as valuable options to offer. But I'm not holding my breath... (especially not for a coupe variant).

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
198 Posts
Wasn't the 11th generation engineered to be a non-coupe?
The 11th gen civic doesn't offer a coupe, but the platform is just a slightly revised version of the 10th gen platform... so there's no engineering standpoint that would prevent a coupe if they decided to offer an integra coupe. It's just removing the back doors and doing the needed tweaks to the body/windows to adapt it assuming they wouldn't go further than that (like lowering the roof line, shorter overhangs, etc like the 10th gen coupes had compared to the sedan/hatch).

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All the other Asian brands are starting to offer AWD. Toyota and Nissan are offering AWD on cars. Honda is behind on this. Accord and Civic are now on versions of the same platform. Insight will follow. The next CRV will be connected. The AWD can be there on this platform if Honda wants to make it happen. If everyone else is doing it, Honda is going to be left behind if they don’t.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts