11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got bids for a '22 Civic EX. The best offer was MSRP + $750. Is that to be expected these days? I am trying to figure out whether it is worth my time to seek bids from even more dealers, or whether this is probably about the best I am going to do.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What a time to be buying a car..

You're getting "bids" (offers, really, to take your money) of MSRP +750 as a minimum... As a BUYER.

Of a Honda Civic sedan.

With a CVT. Not an Si, not a Type R, not even a "rare" one with a manual transmission sought after by some set of deep-pocketed "enthusiast drivers".

I am waiting to see the 2022 Civic HB but if they try to get me to pay $1K over MSRP for a Civic that's not a Type R, I'll just wait until this car shortage is over.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it is a lousy time to buy a car. But this is when I need (or at least want) a car. So it is what it is. I will get overpaid for my trade in, probably. In any event, I am not going to wait -- and I do not want a different car -- so my real question is whether in current conditions MSRP + $750 is pretty much the best I will do, or whether I should expect -- in the current market -- to do better than that.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yeah, it is a lousy time to buy a car. But this is when I need (or at least want) a car. So it is what it is. I will get overpaid for my trade in, probably. In any event, I am not going to wait -- and I do not want a different car -- so my real question is whether in current conditions MSRP + $750 is pretty much the best I will do, or whether I should expect -- in the current market -- to do better than that.
Take it… It’s a good deal right now… If you go to true car online you will see people are paying even more. In Atlanta for my touring and paying 800 over retail plus tax plus spoiler etc $34,000 out the door… That was the best of 4 dealers

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I’m waiting until the market returns to normal. Why pay more if my car works fine now….
If I thought that would be three months, I might do the same thing -- though I have a bit more urgency for a new car than it seems you do. But I am afraid that it may be a year rather than three months, and that things may get worse before they get better. So I am going to hold my nose and buy now, taking some solace in the fact that I will be overpaid on my trade in.

·
Registered
25 Posts
If I thought that would be three months, I might do the same thing -- though I have a bit more urgency for a new car than it seems you do. But I am afraid that it may be a year rather than three months, and that things may get worse before they get better. So I am going to hold my nose and buy now, taking some solace in the fact that I will be overpaid on my trade in.
yeah I get it, that's a good point. I may have to do that in the future too. Mine's been running great, but it has so many miles on it, who knows what could happen. I certainly don't see it catching up within 3 months.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I hope so. It's true that used car values are skyrocketing. However, if you're forced to trade in instead of doing a private sale because you have a lien on the car, the dealers have you over a barrel and could keep most of that value for themselves...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No lien, fortunately,. Still, I am not going to do a real private party sale. I have done many of those over the years, but I am getting to the point in my life where it is not worth the trouble.. I plan to get bids on the trade from Carvana, Carmax and Vroom, and ask the dealer to meet the best of those. (If they won't do that, I will just sell it to the Cavana/Carmax/Vroom).

·
Registered
70 Posts
No lien, fortunately,. Still, I am not going to do a real private party sale. I have done many of those over the years, but I am getting to the point in my life where it is not worth the trouble.. I plan to get bids on the trade from Carvana, Carmax and Vroom, and ask the dealer to meet the best of those. (If they won't do that, I will just sell it to the Cavana/Carmax/Vroom).
What kind of trouble? You mean fielding calls from people and having yahoos test drive your car who are not serious buyers?

Especially right now, when people are desperate for buying used cars, I'd suggest doing it anyway.. The difference in the money you will get back in a private sale of a car with a clean title is practically impossible to be worth the "convenience" in normal times, and right now, even more so.

The last car I sold (a 2003 Subaru Forester with body scrapes/dents galore, but in good running order) I actually undervalued. It was just as this "used car boom" began last year (May 2020).

The Blue Book "private sale" value for it was 3500-5000, and the Honda dealer offered me $2000 for it towards a new CR-V Hybrid. Haha.

I took all my accumulated junk out of it, cleaned it up at the car wash, took photos and put it up on Craigslist for $5000 at 10AM; got six responses by 3PM; at 4:30PM, the first person to be able to show up to see it took it for a test drive with me, then handed me $5,000 in cash. I signed over the title, wrote up a Bill of Sale, and that was that.

Meanwhile, I got texts/emails about that car for the next 48 hours, from people saying they had "cash in hand".

I should've listed it for at least $6000. Dang!

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring
40 Posts
I got bids for a '22 Civic EX. The best offer was MSRP + $750. Is that to be expected these days? I am trying to figure out whether it is worth my time to seek bids from even more dealers, or whether this is probably about the best I am going to do.
I bought my 2022 Civic Touring under MSRP in June 2021

·
Registered
10 Posts
I bought my 2022 Civic Touring under MSRP in June 2021
Same - bought a touring in August below MSRP in Canada. Cold called 10+ dealerships near me & played ball. The one I ended up going with had quite a few in stock to say the least... and they ordered a shit ton more lol

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Around us, there was no dealer willing to go below MSRP + $750. Most were MSRP + $2000-$2500.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I paid 1,800 under MSRP and no add on’s . 2022 touring in morning mist. Good luck

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
This does seem to vary by region. The best offer I could get was MSRP + $750. First time I have ever paid more than MSRP for a car. I am not sure I have ever paid more than invoice!

I suppose I could have contacted dealers that are 100 + miles away from my home, etc. Maybe eventually I would have found a dealer to sell it to me at MSRP or less. But at a certain point, it is just not worth my time/effort. 25 years ago, I would have been willing to put in a lot more effort to save a few bucks. But these days, if I check with 8 local dealers, and get the best price any of them will offer, then so be it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got a 2022 civic honda sedan 32k without addon 40k protection ect..with but I had a trade in which got me 11.5k and put 5 k down on a 5 yr deal which I pay only 24k. At bare bones 32k if I just the warranty nothing else I would of been paying less than 35k. Mine u I am in Canada I wanted a used hb but none around.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts