11th Gen Civic Forum banner

2nd Smart key fob.....

29K views 104 replies 45 participants last post by  Nursebae 
#1 ·
Just purchased a new 2022 civic touring for wifey....

Question: the dealer told me that due to the shortage or microchips, Honda couldn't make a second smart key and will "mail" the second smart key to me at a later date. Did anyone receive this type of message?

Basically, i only received one smart key and an extra manual key with a note pictured...

See less See more
#39 ·
Same. Purchased July 4th weekend. Haven’t received it as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Same as you, DaCo. Bought my 2022 Sport July 3rd. I contacted the dealership last week and said it would be mailed to me. I live in NorCal. Salesman also said that after 45 days, I could say I lost a key and they would provide 1 for free since HondaCare provides one

#16 ·
Bought 2022 Civic 2 weeks ago. Only came with one smart key fob. I wish Honda told me this before i gave them my $$!! It’s a dealbreaker for me as i have 3 kids that will drive car. If you lose that one key fob you are incur a hassle! I hope Honda sticks to their word and issues a second smart-key. In the meantime i am warning everyone interested in buying a new Civic to be aware!

#19 ·
Welcome to the forum @BKLEFTY

Very odd that they are giving just one key fob because for decades it has been a standard industry practice to give two. Are you going to buy a 2nd or even 3rd if Honda doesn't pull through?

Add your Civic to The 2022+ 11th Gen Civic Owners Registry
I even offered to buy a fob if I could find one. I asked them to program it for free. They had no response to that. How about giving Their consumers a date when the second fob will be sent to them. Honda should be doing everything in their power to get a second fob to all the 2022 civic owners!!

#18 ·
Honda better pull through. Like I said before, if I had known it only came with one smart key fob I would have not done the deal! I never heard of a car coming with one fob smart key. Putting the consumer in a position if they lost that fob their car is rendered useless, at least for a few days. Not happy. This is my sixth Honda. And this is how they treat you.

#20 ·
The key fob issue is a microchip issue which honda has zero control over. No auto makers have any control over the microchip shortage. It's not an ideal situation, but it's hardly honda's fault that there is a global scale microchip shortage. If it means they can continue to sell their vehicles mostly uninterrupted while offering just one key fob, with the clear promise/IOU of the second fob when the chips become available, then I would say that probably is the best decision they can make currently. The alternative being selling half the amount of vehicles (in an already under-producing market) making it even harder to get a new car, or not selling any until they can ensure 2 fobs for each car.

That said, transparency is important, and every dealer should be very up front and clear that the new cars only come with one fob, with the second one coming at a later date just in case that were to effect someone's purchase decision. But, Honda doesn't directly control what their dealers do or say and can only advise them in what should be communicated to customers. Unfortunately, some dealerships suck and don't do what they're supposed to.

Any frustration over these issues should be directed at the dealerships if they aren't being transparent, or the global chip shortage which is out of everyone's control except the chip makers.

#22 ·
The key fob issue is a microchip issue which honda has zero control over. No auto makers have any control over the microchip shortage. It's not an ideal situation, but it's hardly honda's fault that there is a global scale microchip shortage. If it means they can continue to sell their vehicles mostly uninterrupted while offering just one key fob, with the clear promise/IOU of the second fob when the chips become available, then I would say that probably is the best decision they can make currently. The alternative being selling half the amount of vehicles (in an already under-producing market) making it even harder to get a new car, or not selling any until they can ensure 2 fobs for each car.

That said, transparency is important, and every dealer should be very up front and clear that the new cars only come with one fob, with the second one coming at a later date just in case that were to effect someone's purchase decision. But, Honda doesn't directly control what their dealers do or say and can only advise them in what should be communicated to customers. Unfortunately, some dealerships suck and don't do what they're supposed to.

Any frustration over these issues should be directed at the dealerships if they aren't being transparent, or the global chip shortage which is out of everyone's control except the chip makers.
Agreed, it's stuff like this where having a good dealership is so important. Things have been stressful enough as it is and the last thing anyone needs is to be jerked around over a key fob.

#29 ·
I think given the microchip shortage, it is reasonable (although clearly inconvenient) to provide one fob so that Honda can get more cars on the road. However, it’s clear the cost of 2 fobs is built into the msrp of each vehicle. Thus it may also be reasonable not to provide the dealer with what amounts to an interest free payment of $100-$150 for the cost of the promised second fob with no known delivery date.

The inconsistency above where some dealers don’t care and give customers 2 fobs would also bother me.

#30 ·
Another thought: a way to mitigate against the sting of getting one fob at delivery would be offering an incentive down the road. How about Honda saying since you helped us during this unprecedented microchip shortage and purchased a vehicle knowing you’d get one fob, not only will we give you the second one for free as soon as possible but should you ever need a third, it will be available to you at 50% off for as long you own the vehicle.

#42 ·
Has anyone that initially only received one key actually received a second key yet?

I understand there’s a chip shortage. And Honda wants to sell as many cars as possible. Even if it means only giving one key at first. But it would be nice to give some priority to actual buyers that just plopped down a bunch of money and get them their second keys.

Just ranting I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.