11th Gen Civic Forum banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
795 Posts
I even offered to buy a fob if I could find one. I asked them to program it for free. They had no response to that. How about giving Their consumers a date when the second fob will be sent to them. Honda should be doing everything in their power to get a second fob to all the 2022 civic owners!!
You might have some luck by reaching out to Honda corporate, or at least get some clarification. Toyota gives two key fobs and if you happen lose one of them, they will give you a replacement for FREE. I feel like Honda should be doing that too. Find out if that's possible if you can.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The key fob issue is a microchip issue which honda has zero control over. No auto makers have any control over the microchip shortage. It's not an ideal situation, but it's hardly honda's fault that there is a global scale microchip shortage. If it means they can continue to sell their vehicles mostly uninterrupted while offering just one key fob, with the clear promise/IOU of the second fob when the chips become available, then I would say that probably is the best decision they can make currently. The alternative being selling half the amount of vehicles (in an already under-producing market) making it even harder to get a new car, or not selling any until they can ensure 2 fobs for each car.

That said, transparency is important, and every dealer should be very up front and clear that the new cars only come with one fob, with the second one coming at a later date just in case that were to effect someone's purchase decision. But, Honda doesn't directly control what their dealers do or say and can only advise them in what should be communicated to customers. Unfortunately, some dealerships suck and don't do what they're supposed to.

Any frustration over these issues should be directed at the dealerships if they aren't being transparent, or the global chip shortage which is out of everyone's control except the chip makers.
Agreed, it's stuff like this where having a good dealership is so important. Things have been stressful enough as it is and the last thing anyone needs is to be jerked around over a key fob.

·
Registered
18 Posts
It’s not just Honda though. It’s the entire auto industry that’s been impacted in some way with this global microchip shortage. What can we really do? Don’t lose ya key!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
The key fob issue is a microchip issue which honda has zero control over. No auto makers have any control over the microchip shortage. It's not an ideal situation, but it's hardly honda's fault that there is a global scale microchip shortage. If it means they can continue to sell their vehicles mostly uninterrupted while offering just one key fob, with the clear promise/IOU of the second fob when the chips become available, then I would say that probably is the best decision they can make currently. The alternative being selling half the amount of vehicles (in an already under-producing market) making it even harder to get a new car, or not selling any until they can ensure 2 fobs for each car.

That said, transparency is important, and every dealer should be very up front and clear that the new cars only come with one fob, with the second one coming at a later date just in case that were to effect someone's purchase decision. But, Honda doesn't directly control what their dealers do or say and can only advise them in what should be communicated to customers. Unfortunately, some dealerships suck and don't do what they're supposed to.

Any frustration over these issues should be directed at the dealerships if they aren't being transparent, or the global chip shortage which is out of everyone's control except the chip makers.
You might have some luck by reaching out to Honda corporate, or at least get some clarification. Toyota gives two key fobs and if you happen lose one of them, they will give you a replacement for FREE. I feel like Honda should be doing that too. Find out if that's possible if you can.
ive been writing, texting, and calling Honda corporate. They are telling me they don’t know when they will mail the fobs. Wish i never took possession of the car. With Three teenagers driving the car, you know somethings bound to happen.
It’s not just Honda though. It’s the entire auto industry that’s been impacted in some way with this global microchip shortage. What can we really do? Don’t lose ya key!

Stuff Happens as you know. That’s why, up until this year, cars came with two fobs. Plus i have teenagers! Just an unnecessary worry. Also just bought a Apple air tag to put on the fob. It directs you within inches of lost.

·
Registered
80 Posts
ive been writing, texting, and calling Honda corporate. They are telling me they don’t know when they will mail the fobs. Wish i never took possession of the car. With Three teenagers driving the car, you know somethings bound to happen.
It's not surprising that corporate doesn't know. No doubt they have huge orders in for chips but they have no idea how much of the orders are going to be fulfilled and when, that's totally up to the chip maker(s) who have their own internal decision making for prioritizing orders. Honda gets what they get essentially and they're trying their best to make do.

Try getting your hands on an enthusiast-grade graphics card for a PC or one of the new game consoles that came out last year. The chip shortage has made it impossible. I know people who have been scouring stores both online and in-person for months and still are empty handed. It's the unfortunate reality of the situation right now.

·
Registered
18 Posts

Stuff Happens as you know. That’s why, up until this year, cars came with two fobs. Plus i have teenagers! Just an unnecessary worry. Also just bought a Apple air tag to put on the fob. It directs you within inches of lost.
Of course life happens. We all go through it. You should try smoking something with ya teens and have some faith they won’t lose that fob key.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just purchased a new 2022 civic touring for wifey....

Question: the dealer told me that due to the shortage or microchips, Honda couldn't make a second smart key and will "mail" the second smart key to me at a later date. Did anyone receive this type of message?

Basically, i only received one smart key and an extra manual key with a note pictured...

View attachment 2739
yeah my dealer said the same thing when i got mine

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think given the microchip shortage, it is reasonable (although clearly inconvenient) to provide one fob so that Honda can get more cars on the road. However, it’s clear the cost of 2 fobs is built into the msrp of each vehicle. Thus it may also be reasonable not to provide the dealer with what amounts to an interest free payment of $100-$150 for the cost of the promised second fob with no known delivery date.

The inconsistency above where some dealers don’t care and give customers 2 fobs would also bother me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Another thought: a way to mitigate against the sting of getting one fob at delivery would be offering an incentive down the road. How about Honda saying since you helped us during this unprecedented microchip shortage and purchased a vehicle knowing you’d get one fob, not only will we give you the second one for free as soon as possible but should you ever need a third, it will be available to you at 50% off for as long you own the vehicle.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just purchased a new 2022 civic touring for wifey....

Question: the dealer told me that due to the shortage or microchips, Honda couldn't make a second smart key and will "mail" the second smart key to me at a later date. Did anyone receive this type of message?

Basically, i only received one smart key and an extra manual key with a note pictured...

View attachment 2739
Same here. She said Honda will mail me a second fob once they have the chips - no idea what the ETA is, though.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts