11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just purchased a new 2022 civic touring for wifey....

Question: the dealer told me that due to the shortage or microchips, Honda couldn't make a second smart key and will "mail" the second smart key to me at a later date. Did anyone receive this type of message?

Basically, i only received one smart key and an extra manual key with a note pictured...

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rally Red)
37 Posts
Yes, I too received a manual key without a FOB & a regular FOB from the Honda dealership. The reason is the same as what you've stated.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Same. Purchased July 4th weekend. Haven’t received it as of yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
89 Posts

Question: the dealer told me that due to the shortage or microchips, Honda couldn't make a second smart key and will "mail" the second smart key to me at a later date. Did anyone receive this type of message?

Basically, i only received one smart key and an extra manual key with a note pictured...

View attachment 2739
Sales person told me the same thing. And then the sales manager walked out with a second key and handed to me. So ? .. The whole thing is like playing telephone

·
Registered
11 Posts
just bought my car friday and got two with mine

·
Registered
18 Posts
It's so weird seeing a key like this without the fob. So the one in this photo is your secondary key?
I would believe so. That Tag on the key indicates that the actual second fob key will be mailed at a later date.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2022 Honda Civic Touring (Rally Red)
37 Posts
It's so weird seeing a key like this without the fob. So the one in this photo is your secondary key?
Yes, as @DaCo has stated. That tag on the key is my actual second key FOB. I am uncertain if the FOB will be mailed to me or I have to go to the dealership to pick it up but most likely the latter.

·
Registered
795 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts

View attachment 2739
Bought 2022 Civic 2 weeks ago. Only came with one smart key fob. I wish Honda told me this before i gave them my $$!! It’s a dealbreaker for me as i have 3 kids that will drive car. If you lose that one key fob you are incur a hassle! I hope Honda sticks to their word and issues a second smart-key. In the meantime i am warning everyone interested in buying a new Civic to be aware!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Honda better pull through. Like I said before, if I had known it only came with one smart key fob I would have not done the deal! I never heard of a car coming with one fob smart key. Putting the consumer in a position if they lost that fob their car is rendered useless, at least for a few days. Not happy. This is my sixth Honda. And this is how they treat you.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Welcome to the forum @BKLEFTY

Very odd that they are giving just one key fob because for decades it has been a standard industry practice to give two. Are you going to buy a 2nd or even 3rd if Honda doesn't pull through?

Add your Civic to The 2022+ 11th Gen Civic Owners Registry
I even offered to buy a fob if I could find one. I asked them to program it for free. They had no response to that. How about giving Their consumers a date when the second fob will be sent to them. Honda should be doing everything in their power to get a second fob to all the 2022 civic owners!!

·
Registered
2019 Honda Civic Coupe EX - Aegean Blue
124 Posts
The key fob issue is a microchip issue which honda has zero control over. No auto makers have any control over the microchip shortage. It's not an ideal situation, but it's hardly honda's fault that there is a global scale microchip shortage. If it means they can continue to sell their vehicles mostly uninterrupted while offering just one key fob, with the clear promise/IOU of the second fob when the chips become available, then I would say that probably is the best decision they can make currently. The alternative being selling half the amount of vehicles (in an already under-producing market) making it even harder to get a new car, or not selling any until they can ensure 2 fobs for each car.

That said, transparency is important, and every dealer should be very up front and clear that the new cars only come with one fob, with the second one coming at a later date just in case that were to effect someone's purchase decision. But, Honda doesn't directly control what their dealers do or say and can only advise them in what should be communicated to customers. Unfortunately, some dealerships suck and don't do what they're supposed to.

Any frustration over these issues should be directed at the dealerships if they aren't being transparent, or the global chip shortage which is out of everyone's control except the chip makers.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts