11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

So these last few weeks all I cared for was for someone to do a deep dive into the Touring instrument cluster's 10.2 inch screen in relation to Apple Carplay and no one did, so maybe this will help some of you.

To start, I upgraded from a 2017 EX-L to a 2022 Touring and I LOVE IT!
I was curious if the instrument cluster behind the wheel would turn into a navigation screen while using Apple Carplay, and sadly it does not. Today, however, I did notice that if I use Apple Maps (And not Google maps, which I normally do) then when I'm coming near a turn, the next "step" does pop on on the cluster which is really cool. And then afterwards it just goes back to whatever it was showing before, which in my case is the range and mileage.

Hope this helps. Maybe in the future they will add an update to show your entire map there? That would be amazing!

IMG_5111.jpg

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm pretty happy with that implementation. I suspect there might be limitations as to what the vehicle can pull from CarPlay as it depends on what Apple chooses to expose through APIs, but turn instructions are what I would care to see in the instrument cluster the most so that works out for me.

I assume the Now Playing information including album art is also being pulled from CarPlay?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm pretty happy with that implementation. I suspect there might be limitations as to what the vehicle can pull from CarPlay as it depends on what Apple chooses to expose through APIs, but turn instructions are what I would care to see in the instrument cluster the most so that works out for me.

I assume the Now Playing information including album art is also being pulled from CarPlay?
I'm super stoked for it as well! I used to use Apple Maps, but switched to google a few months back. but something like this would totally make me switch back to apple! I think its really cool.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Today, however, I did notice that if I use Apple Maps (And not Google maps, which I normally do) then when I'm coming near a turn, the next "step" does pop on on the cluster which is really cool
So just to be clear. It does not show anything while using Google Maps? Not even this turn sign and distance bars indicator?

·
Registered
166 Posts
So just to be clear. It does not show anything while using Google Maps? Not even this turn sign and distance bars indicator?
New navigation is such a huge improvement over the old one that there's no overwhelming need to use external app. Also, new infotainment screen is always in your field of view, and it's actually easier to use it, as the cluster is pretty busy. Finally, fwiw, with google maps I usually go by voice alerts.

·
Registered
7 Posts
New navigation is such a huge improvement over the old one that there's no overwhelming need to use external app. Also, new infotainment screen is always in your field of view, and it's actually easier to use it, as the cluster is pretty busy. Finally, fwiw, with google maps I usually go by voice alerts.
I don't know why you are quoting me here and singing praises about the new infotainment system. I know it's great, calm down. For you there is no need, for me there is. Everyone has different needs, likes and dislikes.

Now to the point: I am used to using a nav map on digital cluster and I would like to use it when I finally decide to buy a new car. Civic doesn't have it and I consider it a con for me personally. Now I would settle for some directions like the ones shown by OP. I don't use Apple, that's why I asked specifically about Google Maps. If it doesn't show anything at all for Google Maps, it would be a considerable con for me.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I don't use Apple, that's why I asked specifically about Google Maps.
My recollection is that in Gen10 with AndroidAuto and Google Maps you actually did get turn notifications in the cluster. Unfortunately our last Galaxy phone croaked a few months ago and we are all iPhone family right now, so I can't check it for you.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Hey guys,

So these last few weeks all I cared for was for someone to do a deep dive into the Touring instrument cluster's 10.2 inch screen in relation to Apple Carplay and no one did, so maybe this will help some of you.
Usually reviewers talk about obvious stuff: power, torque, design, how Honda failed here and there, how THEY could do this way better and similar mundane stuff.
Nobody really digs in into tech options or reviews NAVI or how Apple Carplay or Android Auto work. At least I found one guy on youtube using ACC and few other safety fetures in real traffic. Impressive for this 'smaller' car. Still do not know if ACC is only slow speed follow or stop-and-go...

As for the navigation, what is wrong with built in navigation. It looks it is not Garmin anymore (supposedly Garmin is in Accord) but HERE maps. Have no experience with HERE. I am Garmin user for last 15 or so years... Would like to hear if somebody has experience with HERE.

·
Registered
7 Posts
My recollection is that in Gen10 with AndroidAuto and Google Maps you actually did get turn notifications in the cluster. Unfortunately our last Galaxy phone croaked a few months ago and we are all iPhone family right now, so I can't check it for you.
Yeah yeah, I've seen it working like you described on the gen 10, that's why I was a bit surprised when OP mentioned it not working on Anroid Auto. But maybe it's working working on wired only or you need to tick some options on your phone to allow it to work. Or maybe it's just going to be added in a software update later on. I'm from EU, so we are going to get the new gen probably around autumn anyway. Thanks for your response though.

Usually reviewers talk about obvious stuff: power, torque, design, how Honda failed here and there, how THEY could do this way better and similar mundane stuff.
Nobody really digs in into tech options or reviews NAVI or how Apple Carplay or Android Auto work. At least I found one guy on youtube using ACC and few other safety fetures in real traffic. Impressive for this 'smaller' car. Still do not know if ACC is only slow speed follow or stop-and-go...
Those are my thought as well. I am always interested in those kind of things, because I am actually using them regularly, but maybe others don't, at least not so often ;)
And good question about ACC, unfortunately don't know that either.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yeah yeah, I've seen it working like you described on the gen 10, that's why I was a bit surprised when OP mentioned it not working on Anroid Auto. But maybe it's working working on wired only or you need to tick some options on your phone to allow it to work. Or maybe it's just going to be added in a software update later on. I'm from EU, so we are going to get the new gen probably around autumn anyway. Thanks for your response though.
The OP used CarPlay, it does not work quite like AndroidAuto, at least in Gen10.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hey! It didnt show me anything with Google maps. Like no "Upcoming turn" visuals. Only on Apple Maps. But maybe that'll update later to include it?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts