11th Gen Civic Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2022 Honda Civic EX, got it in November 2022.
I’ve had this issue twice the first time I took as nothing just a one off but it happened again today. I would be driving then come to a complete stop and the fry to drive off again and the car would not move. Everything would be lit up but the car would just stop, the battery light would come on and the only way I got the car to work again is if I turn the car off and on again. Has anyone else experienced this ?

· Registered
44 Posts
This seems like an unusual issue. Is the engine stopping due to auto-stop mode? Or has it happened while the engine is running (auto-stop disabled or not active due to climate control or other things like gear shifter position)?

When you turn the car off then back on, does the car start perfectly fine, or does it seem to take longer or does the starter sound like it is struggling at all?

If it has only happened twice three months, it might be hard to get a mechanic to look at it, but you should at least check with the dealer in case it is a known issue. (Car makers sometimes publish notes for mechanics to point out specific issues that can come up, along with diagnostic steps and repair approaches.)

Assuming it is not a battery issue, the other thing I can think of is that there might be an interlock that prevents the engine from starting in some situations. This is like what prevents the car from starting if you do not have your foot on the brake, or if the car is in gear. I would not think this would affect the car if the engine was already running, but as cars get more sophisticated, it is possible for something unusual to happen.

One other troubleshooting step you might be able to try would be to disconnect the battery for an hour or so. This might force something to reset itself.

However, since this problem is infrequent, you may want to report it to the dealer's service center to get it "on the record" in case it keeps coming back. If it is hard to troubleshoot, you could potentially end up with the problem still happening after the warranty ends. (If the problem is fixed or goes away, then it does no harm.)

If you do find anything out, please post the details. Again, if this is a problem that others end up having as well, your experience may help them as well.

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for responding !

So 90% of the timeI leave the auto stop on in the car mainly cause I forget. So I’m guessing the problem is contributed because of this function. When I brake at stop sign the car auto shut off like you expect but everything is still functioning, when I hit the accelerator the car just sits there everything works but the car won’t move. (See attached picture of dashboard). In order for me to get my car moving I have to turn it off and turn it back on.
Speedometer Trip computer Odometer Tachometer Vehicle

I did take it to the dealership today for them to run test on it and they found nothing wrong with it and said they couldn’t do anything. If it continues to happen I guess I’ll just have to keep taking it back until they do something. One service advisor which I don’t think makes sense especially if I break down at night to call the towing company have it towed directly to Honda if it happens again but don’t turn off the car just leave it as is.

Hopefully I can provide some sort of possible solution next update.

· Registered
2 Posts
YES! It happened to me as well and I took it to the dealer and they couldn't do anything unless I replicate the issue. I've found that sitting in idle for a minute or 2 in normal or sport > quick acceleration and not a long distance (like crossing an intersection) > then stopping will have it happen pretty often.

Super worried about it and upgrading my battery soon since honda dealership didn't do anything for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts